What is this? Second stringer question 11/30

Started by Okanagan, November 30, 2019, 07:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Two questions: 
What is this thing called?
What is it used for?

nastygunz

I don't know but I want one  :biggrin:  I think it's used to transport logs on the river or water.

remrogers

Okanagan

Nasty has the correct industry.

To me, it looks like a dunce cap for Frankenstein.

nastygunz

It looks like that duncecap would go over the end of a log and then those hooks have a flat spot on the back where you would beat them in the log to get a grip on it some sort of logs skidding device 🕵

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on December 01, 2019, 10:33:55 AM
It looks like that duncecap would go over the end of a log and then those hooks have a flat spot on the back where you would beat them in the log to get a grip on it some sort of logs skidding device 🕵

That is pretty much it, originally from horse logging days.  Taper the end of the log a bit as needed to fit into the cone, drive the dogs (hooks) in and pull it by the end ring.  With this device logs drag much more smoothly, with less effort for the horse and most importantly, they do not hang up on stumps etc. but slide right past.  In the early days of machinery logging a similar device was used sometimes. 

I had breakfast yesterday with two long time loggers, one of whom owns the café we were in and the other owns a logging company.  Both were old enough to have horse logged, and the man with the logging company ran a horse logging division for some 20 years during the heyday of the environmental forestry extremes.  He told me that he made more money with his horse logging outfit than with his big machinery.  The government only allowed horse logging on some jobs because it was an environmentally sensitive area that the horses would not tear up as much as a skidder.  He would bid high...

Name of the tool? I could not find it on Google.

riverboss

Had a buddy that had a couple draft horses, he became friends with some Aymish guys and they use those even now. They let him bring his horses over and they logged for 2 weeks, he loved it!
I got stuck on a hill in the snow trying to bust his farm road open he hook his horses to me! Dam it was scary the power they had

Sent from my Vivo XI using Tapatalk

remrogers

Heard of a horse logging operation and the tree huggers yelled loud enough that the horses were required to wear diapers. Didn't want horse manure polluting the watershed. Reminded me of the dead cow elk my brother found in the creek that fed into the Boulder, Colorado water supply. Tree huggers act like the old bear and other critters don't do it in the woods.

nastygunz

They are having a battle over here about horseback riding around the water reservoir for the city of Manchester which I believe is the biggest city in New Hampshire, and the horses shitting on the trail ha ha. 💩💩💩

Okanagan

The name of this device is a piling bell.

I asked if it had anything to do with pier pilings in the water and they said, "No."