• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

How do you.....?

Started by sharkathmi, February 26, 2009, 01:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkathmi

OK Guys,
Here's where I'm at. Up until now, I've been making my calls one call at a time, start to finish. Not a bad way for a newbie to learn. I've also learned that the wood we all get from any of the supply places is most likely not ready to turn when we get it because the moisture content is too high. Yup, I have a moisture meter on order.
I just got in a supply of wood and I am wondering on the best way to prepare and store / dry the wood. Some of the wood I got has been dipped in wax it's full length. It won't dry that way!
I can cut the blanks to length and turn to round between centers to expose all sides and let it dry that way. I've been saving my shavings and would bury these blanks in the shavings until they are dry enough to turn.
I would cover the ends of all blanks with white wood glue, write the wood type and date on it.
If I leave it undrilled, but in the round, I can make it into anything. (Closed reed or howler or open reed)
But I have seen where folks drill the square blank as the first step.

So, I'm wondering how each of you dry / store your blanks, the method you use (drilled – undrilled), the pro's and con's of any of the methods. I want to avoid making some regretful mistakes or wasting some wood.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark