• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Show Case - Purgatory Predator Calls, Joey Gacnik

Started by Purgatory_Predator_Calls, March 31, 2007, 09:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

The call

This call is made of Osage-orange and Desert Ironwood. It's a double o-ring fit with the two pieces meeting in the middle of the lanyard groove. The ironwood body was turned separately from the osage mouthpiece with extra attention paid to the joint between the two. Both are finished inside and out with several coats of teak oil and friction polish. This is the first piece of osage orange I've ever turned. She is voiced adult cottontail.

Me...

My name is Joey Gacnik, 27 years old, born and raised in Pueblo Colorado. Moved to La Junta Colorado in 2000 to take a job with the La Junta Fire Department, at which I am currently ranked Lieutenant. I met the women who I now call my wife in 2003. No kids yet but we hope to start trying late next summer. (Perfect timing as to not miss any hunting when she is pregnant!) I grew up walking in my daddy's boot tracks chasing every game Colorado has to offer. With a few arrowheads and shed antlers thrown in for good measure. Killed my first coyote at age 12 with his 300 H&H near Gardner Colorado while Elk Hunting on the family ranch. Since I moved to La Junta predator hunting has consumed me. I often tell people that if I had to give up all other species of game to hunt just one, that one would be predators. My hunting career is not very star studded, but I consider myself lucky to have been taught by the best hunter alive, my father. Cottontails to big horns he's been there and knows the way. I also consider myself fortunate to have hunted and continue to still-hunt with, Nick Genova. Not only is he the best shot I've ever seen with any firearm, he's one great friend. And of course my rock, my wife Karen. Man she can shoot!!!

I got my start in wood working doing custom engraving on rifle stocks. My first predator call was made from a cow horn cut from a calf on a good friend's place not far from here. I used my engraving tools and a Black and Decker hand drill to craft ol' #1. After ruining nearly all my production hand calls' trying to get the reeds out, I was successful and used the reed from a primos still cottontail call. Well, one thing led to another and here I am.

Seems like every time I start making a call I always change my mind or try something new. For this reason, when I set out to make a call I usually plan on it taking at least a day and a half if not two full days from start to finish. 90% of my calls are made from Desert Ironwood. I prefer ironwood for its sound quality, density, and different grain patterns. You never know what you're going to get until you actually cut into it. Hands down my favorite material to work with. But man that stuff is hard no tools. I very recently got into hand making my own tone boards. Boy, talk about satisfaction! Over the past few years' guys like, Al Woodard, Joe Bradshaw, and Jerry Latta really inspired me. There call designs, attention to detail, and obvious skill really stood out amongst all the other call makers. It seemed like every time I made a call, I made it with the image of their latest calls floating around in my head. Soon I came up with my own style. A style, that to me is obviously influenced mostly by these three call makers. I'm honored to have calls from all three gentlemen in my collection. I thank you all!

I don't keep a large waiting list for my calls, as I have a family and other priorities constantly competing for my time. Also, I enjoy call making so much I'm afraid that if I treat call making like a job it will become exactly that and no longer a hobby. I enjoy taking my time turning out one call at a time. My rewards are the friendships forged. It's far more enjoyable for me to share a good conversation with a fellow call maker or hunter, than it is for me to run to the bank with a check to cash. So give me a call anytime! In closing I would like to thank Al Woodard for lending a helping hand whenever I needed one and to offer advise whenever a problem arose. And to all other call makers and users, if there's anything I can ever do please don't hesitate to ask. I look forward to hearing from you all,

Joey Gacnik

Purgatory Predator Calls

609 Belleview Ave.

La Junta, CO 81050

719-469-0419

Purgatorypredatorcalls@hotmail.com

When you feel like you can't take another step, ALWAYS take one more!

Bygog!

www.purgatorypredatorcalls.com
CPCMCA www.custompredatorcallassociation.com

FinsnFur

Very nice Joey.
I think I'm in love with your camera  :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

DirtyDog

Joey.......you know how much I love them calls. I am starting to fall in love with that country. Anyways, I am looking forward to my chance at one of your calls.

ND

Todd Rahm

Very Nice Joey. Its great to see a man with your qualities and thoughts, in the custom call arena. With the calls you spin, the style, details, and mostly the out look ya have on the whole hobby........you'll no doubt be one of the greats. You'll be holding a seat at the round table with your mentors for sure.  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Extremely nice calls.  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:

When ya get room on that list, please add me twice.  :innocentwhistle: :biggrin:

cb223

Joey, I've been eying your calls for some time now! they are awesome! One of these days I will get one!

The featured call is excellent and great bio.

Chad
CHAD

WhiteHare

Joey,
Nice looking call.  I enjoyed reading about your start and it brought back memories of hunting with my dad.  By the way he was born in La Junta but moved East when he was a toddler.  Never been there, but from your pictures, it looks like I'm missing the boat by not paying it a visit.  Maybe someday.
Keep them coming and look forward to seeing more of your craft.  Al, Joe, and Jerry as your inspiration seems to have taken hold.  Very nice work.
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

Fireball221

I for one can vouch for Joey's calls, they are more than Great and his attention to detail is amazing.  He made a custom call for me just a short while back and it received wave reviews from fellow call makers and predator callers alike.  Thanks Again Joey for the calls and most of all the friendship. 

Dave

Bob D

Hey Joey,
Enjoyed reading about you, that was interesting. I've seen your calls sell faster than a blinking eye. The reason is obvious. You have some great call maker mentors in your portfolio. They sure pointed you in the right direction cause I think your calls are awesome, love that iron wood. Put my name on that short list for a call in the future.
Bob

KySongDog

Nice story and write up. Sounds like you have your priorities in the proper order for sure.  That's a great looking call. Very nice!

Semp

Arkyyoter

Joey is WAY to modest.....he is a great guy in addition to all that talent.

Joey, I love Osage....and I love Ironwood.......together they are just , over the top.....when ya get all caught up with all the other guys.........gimme a holler 'cause I want one too!!!

Joe

CypressSlough

Nice write up Joey and very nice call. I didn't  know you are a fireman. I am too. Catcha later and stay in the house. Brian.
www.All-TerrainOutdoors.com
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, TX 75503

bowjunkie

Joey  that call is awesome , good writeup as well one of these days I gonna hveta get back down yer way been a while since I been there   :yoyo:

Ed

Bills Custom Calls

Great looking call right there. Good thing you are a fireman cause that call looks HOT

Keep up the good work

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

HaMeR

Thats a real nice call. I like when you guys mix the wood up on them.

Informative background article too. You do nice work!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

studabaka

Sweet call Joey, but what really struck me was your bio. Seems to me you have your priorities in order...... A dad that clearly passed on his legacy of love for the outdoors, recognizing and seeking out folks like Al, Joe, and Jerry and the gifts they bring to the craft, a career anchored in service and compassion, and a wife the shoots  :shck:

All I can say is those kids of yours will be in for a treat  :congrats: :congrats:

Thanks for participating in the showcase. It has put a face and a person on the purdy calls you have been posting.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

desert dog

Joey,

Damn fine work there.  Great write up!

Keep it up.

Loren
www.reeselanyards.com

"what you pay for your calls is your business, protecting them is ours"

seeinspots

joey,

not much i can say that has not already been said, WOW, very nice !!!!!!!!
i'll have one of yours when i get a chance.

kent

rjl54

Joey,

As a retired cop, I'm jealous because it was always the Firemen who had the extra time to practice thier woodworking  :argh:.  Seriously, I enjoyed your Bio and you took some great photographs.  Excellent showcase call !  Good job.
                                                                             Randy

quackerstacker

fantastic call and great bio. look forward to adding one of your calls to my collection soon.

steve
my name is steve and im addicted to bonkers

Brad H

Great job, Joey. I really enjoyed that write up.

Brad