• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Lil help on coon callin...

Started by MidTNHunter, October 12, 2008, 09:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidTNHunter

Havent been here in a while so ....Hello Everyone.....

Now question....went to WMA a few days ago to do a lil coyote callin and was shocked and suprised when i had 2 coons charge my call.....actually i know they will come to certian calls it just skert me a lil to look up and have them flying in like that.  Now being a man educated in Mississippi i am havein a hard time clarifying wether or not you can call coons in Tennessee and on WMA during daylight hours.  Any more info would be greatly appreciated.....cuz i got the Minaksa boys video and am stoked to try it again.....that looks like a blast.

Hawks Feather

Since this is your first post, welcome to FnF.  Someone from TN will have to give you an update on the state's hunting regulations.  Here in Ohio you can call coons, but if you plan to shoot them, they have to be taken during "fur season" and you also have to have a "fur taker" endorsement on your hunting license.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Welcome to the site MidTNHunte. There's a link in the upper right corner of the forums pointing to a list of government wildlife management sites for all 50 states. You should be able to get your answer there.

This also a snip from TN's site;

Raccoon and Opossum Hunting

Opossum can be taken during the raccoon hunting season. No Limit.

East Tennessee - Anderson, Blount, Campbell, Carter, Claiborne, Cocke, Grainger, Greene, Hamblen, Hancock, Hawkins, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Loudon, Monroe, Polk, Sevier, Sullivan, Unicoi, Union, and Washington counties:

Opens - Sunset, Nov. 7
Closes - Sunrise, Feb. 15
Bag Limit - 2 per person per night*.

Remainder of the state:

Opens - Sunset, Sept. 19
Closes - Sunrise, Feb. 15
Bag Limit - 2 per person per night*.

* Night is defined as one 24-hour period beginning at sunset.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

MidTNHunter

Thanks Guys....however the TWRA Guide in reference to Small Game Hunting on WMA's reads:

"Raccoon and opossum hunting is from sunset of the date shown to sunrise of the next day. Raccoon hound field trials permitted Sep.1-Apr. 30 unless prohibited."

...which leads me to believe that you can only hunt coons on WMA's during evening hours.  I have tried to get in touch with the Manager at Cheatham WMA and the TWRA office....no answer and no clarification.  Want to take the boy and give it a try, looks like a blast, but as with everything else in TN Hunting Guide, the wording in their guide can be a little confusing.  anyway thanks again for the input.