• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Tracks coyote or dog

Started by fuzz624, November 04, 2006, 06:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzz624

I hunted a new spot this mourning.I called in one but wind started swirling and he busted us.This new place looks really promiseing.We found lots of scat and tracks.I found lots of pup tracks along with some good size tracks.I found this set and they are a little big to be coyote,but they look like it.What do you guys think,coyote or dog?

keekee

You got a bigger pic Fuzz? I cant see them well enough to tell?

Brent

FinsnFur

Boy that is a toughy...

Brent if you click on his thumbnail it will blow itself up larger.

I had to remove some of the glare so I could see inside the track.

They sure look like coyote tracks now.

Another way you can tell but it's tough to in the photo since we only get a couple tracks is, coyote tracks will be in a straight line, and dog tracks will be staggered.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

fuzz624

The tracks were in a strait line.Everything about them suggested coyote except the size.Thease are the biggest coyote tracks i have ever found.This place was full of coyote tracks.It is also located within 1000 yards of the county all you can eat buffet(landfill)so they should be eating pretty good.

slagmaker

Iwould say yote and sense it is near the landfill I would say very well fed yote. Feed him some lead for dessert and post a pic of him.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Jimmie in Ky

Mated pair traveling together. Note the larger tracks already turned and laid over the smaller set.Something caught her attention and they went for it.Her second print is made during the act of changing direction.They will travel for a long ways doing this in a sort of zigzag pattern.Jimmie

sleddogg

In the East, I have to be able to distinguish the difference between coyote and farm dog tracks all the time. Its pretty easy after you have some practice. A coyote track is typically longer and much more narrow than a house dog. Many times only the 2 center claws are visable on the coyote. My biggest indicator is the coyotes two middle toes are alot farther foward the pad than a house dog, and gives more space between the toes and pads.

fuzz624, those sure look like a 'yote to me.

Here is a good pic of a typical coyote for comparison.

Bopeye

That right thar is canis latrans for sure.......
Now how horney that feller is.......I've no idea.... :confused:
Those tracks are some big'uns though...........ought to be a nice coyote if you can catch him standing in those tracks.  :biggrin:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

coyotehunter_1

QuoteMated pair traveling together. Note the larger tracks already turned and laid over the smaller set.Something caught her attention and they went for it.Her second print is made during the act of changing direction.They will travel for a long ways doing this in a sort of zigzag pattern.Jimmie

All that from just 4 tracks?  :confused:

Jimmie....  you are my hero! :bowingsmilie:

:biggrin:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

sleddogg

If you look at them side by side the difference is apparent....

CCP

I would sway toward it being a coyote track.

Sleddogg I thought I recognized that track Jan. 15 12:30 Here is the panned view showing both tracks

Here is another pic of some tracks for comparison.

I have an old clip somewhere not very good but decent It may be on Google video under coyote tracks will look.

I will also try to pull up some more photo's of confirmed tracks

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=coyote+tracks
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

fuzz624

Yeah guys,I am getting pretty good at telling them apart.The way i tell the difference is that a coyotes track is more compact.All toes are close to the pad with little space between toes.Thease tracks were just a little bigger than the normal ones i find.Here is a pic from a distance,note that the other tracks are coyote also.

Jimmie in Ky

You spend as much time following tracks as I have you get pretty good at recognizing what you are seeing.Those photos were taken within a few hours of their being made which also helps a great deal. They are sharp , clear and well defined. Not starting to dry yet, in the ridges between the pad and toes.

If you look at Richs photos, the bottom photo are 3 hours, or more, old. The sand kicked loose by the traveling animal is already dry. Ridges are no longer well defined and are drying as well, they are crumbling into the track.There was also a second animal leaving a track there in that photo not easily recognized due to the sand being a bit more compacted or dryer when and where it was placed.

Learning to age a track can also help with choosing a time to hunt an area. The tracks can tell you the time of day they are using that particular area.

Another thing about coyote tracks is that the front feet are larger than the hind feet. These guys took some great pics. Jimmie

fuzz624

Thanks for the input Jimmie.It is great to have someone with your experience around.