• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Frogman's photos (Saturday)

Started by Frogman, February 09, 2009, 09:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

On Saturday Feb. 7 Al and I headed back out for another exciting day of hunting.  The temperature had steadily risen over the past few days from a cold 12 degrees to a balmy 50 on Friday.  Today it was supposed to get up to 60 and all the snow was pretty much melted off.  It was nice to be able to dress lighter, but the snow made it easier to see the coyotes!  As Al and I walked out a haul road to our first stand we jumped a large coyote out of a field to our right. 

The coyote must have been laying up on the sunny side of the hill to Al's right in this photo.  He rand down off the hill about 75 yards out in front of us ran down the road a little ways then up over the hill to the left of the road.

Here is a track that I know is a coyote, because we saw him lay it down as he ran off.  Big coyote!!

Of course Al and I both started shooting at this dog as soon as we could get our ARs up.  As the coyote started up the hill to the left of the road one of us, probably Al, hit the coyote, but he kept running as we continued to shoot.  Here you can see his tracks going up over the hill to the left . . .

It was a pretty exciting few seconds with both of us trying to get a good sight picture on a running coyote.  Al emptied his magazine and I thought I had as well.  It was then that the scariest moment of the Redbird week occured.  As I was recovering from all the excitement and shooting I was checking my rifle which I assumed was empty.  It wasn't and somehow I ADed the last round into the dirt at our feet?????  Scared the shit out of me!  I am really ashamed and chagrined by this serious safety infraction???  Sorry Al!!

We found blood in the coyotes trail as it went up the hill to our left so at least one of us, probably Al, got a hit on it.  We tracked the coyote up over the hill and out through some woods.  But most of the tracking snow had melted off and we eventually lost the trail. 

After a few more unsuccesful stands we decided to head back to the cottage.  There we found Mike and Jerry skinning some coyotes . . .

Here is the nice cottage we stayed in.  It had a big screen TV, smaller TVs in each room, two bathrooms and showers, a full kitchen with pots and pans, stove, refridgerator, microwave, etc.  Really very nice!

I thought I had the dirtiest vehicle, but I think Richard beat me out by a hair . . .

Later in the evening we all met at the small conference room in the lodge for the drawing.  Here are some photos I took there . . .

Here is Bill's grandson Kurtis demonstrating his considerable calling talents for us . . .

Bill and his grandson . . .

And then the drawing was held for the prizes donated by lots of very generous donors.  The group aggreed to include the names of all those signed up to go to LBL in the drawing instead of just those who made it to Redbird.  Kurtis drew the names . . .

HaMeR (Glen) kille a coyote earlier in the day.  Here is a photo of he and his coyote.  Good shooting Glen . . .

And here we are back at the cottage for a final jam session . . .

I took 189 photos during the week and these are few of the best ones.  I had a great time and I'm sure Al did too.  It was fun spending some time with many of the guys we chat with on the forum.  I think I learned a lot.  I liked this area for the hunt.  I think it holds lots of coyotes that don't get called a lot.  Locals told us that some people bait the coyotes in, but not many call them.  While the snow was on we saw lots of tracks.  There is way more territory to hunt here that at LBL, but it is more difficult to hunt.  I still think I liked LBL better.  I'm really looking forward to LBL next year.  Maybe we could have two hunts each year.  One at Redbird and one at LBL???? 

I know lots of you took photos too, let's see them!!

Thank you to all who organized this hunt!!

Thank you to all those who donated prizes for the drawing!!

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

iahntr

Thanks a lot for sharin that with us. 
Glad most of you guys still got somethin put
together.  :congrats: :congrats:
Scott