• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Beaver and Otter season. Update 1/12/08 & pic's!

Started by keekee, December 29, 2007, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keekee

Well it started off on the bad side! I had planed to set the day after Christmas but due to a plugged drain at the house and two days plumbing it didn't happen! ( Were is Baxter, CCP, when you need him! ) And being off for 4 days for Christmas I had to work 10 Hr shifts this week. So, I got several sets out on Friday some dang fine Otter sets and a few Beaver sets around 30 or so. It rained all night Friday night and every thing was under 4 feet of water today!

So back to setting I went! I started early this Am putting out Beaver sets and Otter, along with some Coon and Mink sets and several Fox and Coyote sets. I'm worn out! LOL! But man it just feels so good to be back out on the line again!

I will pack the camera in the morning and report back in late tomorrow eve! I got more sets to pound in after I run in the morning, I picked up 1,500 acers of dairy farm to set today and plan on being in there right after the check in the morning to set for Fox, land owner says he is seeing Reds every night cross the road! Along with hearing the Coyotes howling several times a week. I took a drive threw there this eve and man that place is laid out nice.

I thought about taking some pic's as I set tomorrow and then taking pic's of the results on Monday for you all to fallow along, and give me some input!

I smell like Beaver Castor and Coyote lure and need a shower!

Brent

iahntr

Man, seems like you've had to put up with a lot rain this season.  :madd:  Is this fairly typical for ya?   Or is it an extra wet year.  Its gotta make it a pain.  :nono:
Look forward to the pics !
Scott

cb223

I can't wait to see the pics.

Do you ever get rest? Seems as if you never get any, always goin!
CHAD

keekee

QuoteDo you ever get rest? Seems as if you never get any, always goin!

Ya, I get some sleep, but sleep is over rated! :biggrin: I can sleep when Im dead!...lol

QuoteMan, seems like you've had to put up with a lot rain this season. 

No its not this wet normally. We didnt have any rain all summer till season came in then it rains every other day..lol..

Brent

cb223

Sleep may be over rated but it is nice to get once in awhile!
CHAD

FinsnFur

Quote from: keekee on December 29, 2007, 09:08:30 PM
Ya, I get some sleep, but sleep is over rated! :biggrin: I can sleep when Im dead!...lol

Ahhhhhh Sheeeeez dude  :doh2: :iroll:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

Quote from: keekee on December 29, 2007, 07:29:44 PMI smell like Beaver Castor and Coyote lure and need a shower!
Brent

So what else is new? :sarcas3:

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Don't wait till your dead to wise up about getting sleep!  :nofgr:

studabaka

We had a break in the rain here yesterday, but I went calling instead of setting cause we are getting a couple more inches today. Deer season ends Tuesday, so will be getting the line going again then. I'm thinking all the rain will get the beaver and otter moving more  :yoyo:

Good luck  :biggrin:

"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

keekee

Well not as good of a day as I had hoped but not bad. After all the rain the water dropped almost 8" last night. Not good for water traps! But I did end up with two small beaver and one Red Fox. Not bad. So I had time to put some new sets out today. I put in 20 some extra set today. Thought I would post some pic's of some sets and areas I set today. Feel free to let me know what you think of the sets and over the next 5 days what sets you think will hit!

Lets start with a couple area and set pictures....

This fisrt area got two dirt hole sets for Coyotes. Baited with Pro Choice and Canine Call and baited with Rabbit fur and meat based bait. . Both dirt holes are right were the road comes to a cross one on the right of the road and one on the left . Lots of freash tracks and scat. Im looking forward to checking these over the next week.

Lets change over to water! I set this snare today for beaver. Its in a ditch leading over to a creek from a lake. Fresh cuttings in there and a good beat down trail.

Speaking of Beaver here is the two I got this morning, Im hoping in the morning is beter if the water gets stable tonight, it may take a few days for it to level out. Both these Beaver were real small but this is a ADC job and they want them gone. I cleaned out the rats earlyer in the season.

The Red Fox has a story. I set this spot early in the year and a had both dirt holes worked every night for 5 days but he never hit the trap pan. Worked the sets from the back a couple times and just never got cought. I had to pull the sets for deer season. I went back in to set for Beaver and figured I would put a couple sets back out to see if I could conect this go around. So, I changed up and put a hay set in there and no dirt holes. And when I went in this Am, here is what was waiting on me!

I dont know how many of you all have used the hay set but it works real well here in the farm land for Red Fox and Gray Fox, and every once in a bit I get a Coyote in one. I set some new areas today for Fox and took some pic's of how I put in a hay set.....

Here is the tools you will need to use this set. Two traps, and I hook them togeather with a quick link. Two stakes, some straw and a hammer. I use straw instead of hay because of the deer. You will need some Red Fox pee as well. And you can change the set up with a little Rabbit fur and lure if you want.

Step one...A good location and all your tools....

Step two.... lay the traps out to the lgth you want them and use the hammer to pound the ground down to give a good solid bed for the trap, no wabble and this lets the pan of the trap lay level with the set Also now is the time to drive your crossed stakes in, this area has Coyotes as well so I double stake. I also added a little pete moss under the traps to keep them from freezing to the ground in cold temps the ground is wet here so this will help keep the traps from freezing down......

Next step is to add the hay, I put it right down the center and fan the ends. This leaves two little pockets on each side of the traps. Makes it easy for the Fox to work the set from the sides and thats what we want. On this set I took a stake and added two small holes on each side of the trap chains in the center. In one hole I put some rabbit fur and in the other a liitle lure. I then install my hay in the center. I then cover the traps with a little hay on each side, I break the hay up in smaller piece to keep the trap from clugging when it fires.I used some rabbit fur on top of the hay to add some looks and smell to the set. And last I add some Red Fox urine to the center! And its done!

I put in several dirt holes today as well. Here is a look at a set by set picture of how I put in a set today....

Here is a picture of one of the new areas I set today. All sets are at logging road crosses at fields. Land owner has seen Coyotes, and red Fox cross these roads all the time. Several sets of tracks and scat at all the fields as well. First pic is of the tools I use to make a set. Its wet here and turning cold with snow the next couple days, so I used dry dirt and pete moss on each set. This will make sure the trap fires if worked.

Here is a look at the first area before the sets........

Here is a look at a few of my tools I use. Clean gloves, my trapping bucket for dirt holes, Some dry dirt in the coffee can and some pete moss in the other box.

After I picked my location and got a wind direction. I started my sets. I put two dirt holes at every location or a hay set and a dirt hole.

Next I dig my trap bed and set my trap. On this set I am useing a cable stake, and 1.75 trap. This area hold a few Coyotes so I want to make sure I can hold them. I use wax papper to cover the pan. I put the first layer in dry dirt and then a light layer of pete moss and bed the trap solid......

Then I finish out the set with strait pete moss. And bait. I used mouse meat based bait and some fur, along with a small shot of Farm land fox on this set, on the other set beside this one. I used Leons fox all call and some urine on the backing.

Here is a look at a few more sets I put in today.........

Well that about does the day. I tried to grab as many pictures as I had time for. I hope to have a good run in the morning with some up date pic's! Any feed back on what these sets will do over the next 5 days?

Last picture of the day is for Jim!

After a hard day on the line this Buds For You!

Brent

Set one is I dig the dirt hole. Some big some small, some have a step down and some dont.

DirtyDog

Nice work Brent.......I went out and scouted the property that I am going to be trapping. Deer season is over on the 6th, so I am aching to go.  :wink:

Troy Walter

Brent
You are killing me.That is a cool set the straw set.Do you ever loose any due to the straw between there leg and the trap jaws.

iahntr

Good lookin sets. Thanks for takin the time to post the pictures for us, so we could go along with. :wink:
Look forward to the "after" shots.
Scott

FinsnFur

I can only imagine what he said to that fox....outloud...after missing it that many times and then walking in and seeing it setting there with it's paw in the trap  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

QuoteI can only imagine what he said to that fox....outloud...after missing it that many times and then walking in and seeing it setting there with it's paw in the trap   

LOL....I new he was there before I ever walked up to the trap, the crows were up there over top of the set just raising hell. It is nice to pick one up like that after they work around the set like that one did!

QuoteDo you ever loose any due to the straw between there leg and the trap jaws.

Not really. Most of the time the just jump in that hay set feet first. The one yesturday I had by both front feet. The hay set more up on top of the traps so when they do step on the pan it gets them high on the foot. I do have problems with the deer setting the traps off.

DirtyDog,

I got a package ready to send you way this week. Should get you fixed up!

Brent

KySongDog

I really enjoy reading your posts especially with the pictures.  I know very little about trapping.  Thanks. 

Semp

keekee

Thanks Semp I enjoy sharing them with everyone as well!

Well today was a little slow as well. Water dropped again last night and it got cold enough to freeze the shallow water edges. But first check of the day had a rabbit hunter standing on top of the set I got the Red in yesterday. Im just glad I didnt get one of his hounds. So I ran up to talk with him, he wasnt supost to be in there anyway.

After that The first beaver check had this bad boy in a snare..........

That was the only Beaver action I had today, with the water drop again I had to re set several sets and all my Mink sets.

The sets I put in yesterday did ok. The first set I took the picture of me putting in a dirt hole took this big ol bore coon!

I done a re set on it and moved on to the other sets, I didnt get in there till after the sun had came out good and it was a muddy mess! I slid the truck all over this place to get back in there to the sets. I hope it freezes tonight so I can make it back in there in the AM with out walking in...lol.... Rain, Snow, Ice and high winds in the forcast for tonight so we will see what morning brings.....

Anyway I had two other sets worked on the next check but they never hit the pan. On the last stop on this farm I pulled up to see this guy waiting on me.........

Bad news is it looks like on the right back leg he had the start of some mange. Im going to skin him anyway it dont look real bad but im sure the fur buyer will dock me for the one back leg.

This set was the hay set I took picture of me setting yesterday. Not bad for the first night these sets were in this farm.

This coon was a big ol bore I like to see them in the sets they are bringing more than the Reds.

The Beaver wasnt bad size either, not great big but not small either.....

Here is a picture of the Beaver and the coon hanging there togeather, to give you a idea of how big the coon was.......

The Beaver hit the scales at just over 40 pounds.

And again here is a pic for Jim, end of the day, this Buds For You!

Brent

cb223

COOL PICS!! I love the trappin pictures. Keep em comming.
CHAD

Troy Walter

Hawks Feather

Brent,

"That was the only Beaver action I had today."  You never know, I have heard that on New Year's Eve an elusive Beaver can sometimes be found.   :shock2:   Good luck.

Jerry

studabaka

Sun's still up and fur is still on the truck......  :wo: I'm thinking liquid lunch vs end of day toast  :nofgr:  :roflmao:

Nice catch and pics. I haven't tried snares for beaver, though it's the only thing legal to snare here, so I may have to give that a try. Sure would beat lugging 330's along to some of these hard to reach areas and probably easier to set over some of the deep den holes. Do you get a lot of misses/push aside/swim throughs with them?
Any tips appreciated.

I made a few sets today so I'm looking forward to the morning  :biggrin: Deer season ends tomorrow so I'll add some land sets in the morning as well.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff