• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Beaver and Otter season. Update 1/12/08 & pic's!

Started by keekee, December 29, 2007, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wv_yoter

Great post Brent. I don't know much about trapping, but the pics and explanation help. :yoyo:
Jason

FinsnFur

Nice belt buckle!  :puke:

Grab that fox by the tail like Reggy does, you sissy  :sneer:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Nelson

Sure do enjoy the stories and pictures!!
Thanks,
Nelson

keekee

QuoteI haven't tried snares for beaver, though it's the only thing legal to snare here, so I may have to give that a try. Sure would beat lugging 330's along to some of these hard to reach areas and probably easier to set over some of the deep den holes. Do you get a lot of misses/push aside/swim throughs with them?
Any tips appreciated.

Stu,

I love the snare for Beaver, it beats the hell out of those 330. And you can beat them for being light and easy to get into places you haft to walk into. But it does suck packing out A 50# beaver. They set fast and easy! I do think that a snared beaver in a set disturbs the other beaver and puts them on edge. But the way I try and do is set for 3 days at a time, them pull out. I go back several weeks or a week later after things have calmed down and set again. That's usually about what it takes for me to get what I want out of a area and move on.

I use a Castor mound set allot with snare's. I make my own slides right between two of there slides or in a area that has allot of sign. Make up a Castor mound at the top and add some strange Castor to the mound and set my snare right were they exit the water. I will add a little blocking on each side but use more leaves and small twigs than anything. To keep it low to the ground so they can see over the blocking. I also try and add some brite cutting sticks for eye appeal as well.

They also work well as blind sets were they are traveling or exiting the water. They will go around them some but most of the time it seems they just don't pay them much mind. I use them some on a pole set for deep water dens, they are great for these.

A 50-60 pound beaver on the end of 7 x 7 cable is a hoot!

Brent

studabaka

Thanks.... I'm going to give that a go.

PS.... water level keeps droping and keep catching coon in my otter sets  :madd:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

keekee

I know all about the water drop....lol....I been fighting that ALL season. It sucks! But good new for me is that the coon prices are up so its not to bad. But re making the sets every day sucks for sure.

The temps dropped here it was -2 Deg today with the wind chill! Dumped snow on us all night last night and is snowing again now. All the shallow water sets are froze in now. That means I will be re making sets again....lol

I will tell you one thing on the snares if figured out. The Cam Locks seem to be more fur friendly than any of the other locks I have tried. They don't seem to get wound up in the fur like the others do. But we haft to have deer stops here and they get wound up in the fur some but not to much. All three beaver this weekend looked good from the snares.

Brent

studabaka

The wind is what's miserable about the cold. It barely broke freezing today, but the wind cut and made it feel like teens.

Got my first skunk of the season today  :biggrin: Never feels like it's really trapping season until ya got that smell going and nobody wants to hang out with ya  :shrug: :roflmao:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

canine

Nice pics Brent. How much snow did you get down your way?

I wait and wait for a freeze up to set some traps, and finally get it and it snows 8 inches and blows and drifts all my sets up. :madd:

Had to go back through the line today and sweep them all off. One good thing i got out of it, I seen a shooter this evening in Lockwoods. Back to bow hunting for a few while this snow is on.

Hopefully I'll have some pics of coyotes to add If the weather cooperates.

JD

keekee

I know what you mean about the skunks Stu! So does my wife....lol  She wont ride in my truck now, says it smells like dead stuff! Got to love it! :biggrin:

JD,

We got about 4" right now, wind blew all of it into drifts but its started snowing again now. I think it about done though. Looks like another 1-3" to add to the 4 we got today. I took the broom and cleaned off the truck, drove 27 miles down the river to work and the snow just reached the top of the grass....lol....Maybe 1 1/2" its unreal how much of a difference 27 Miles can make!

I'm headed out in the morning to help a friend of mine get his Fox and Coyote sets working again after the snow. Then Friday morning I'm teaming up with a buddy to nail some Beaver and Otter on a long  line for the next 5-7 days. Should be a blast, I like to long line with a friend makes the days allot easier. Friday and Sat will be long days setting though! But two of us can lay some steal and snares in a hurry though!

That's good news on the Lockwood buck! But you not trapping those calling Coyotes are ya? :biggrin:

Brent

canine

There aren't any coyotes in Lockwoods :biggrin:

The big zilcho for me today, no tracks in the snow even. Called a double in this afternoon at berry's, got footage but couldn't get a damn shot at them. Musta been the same 2 coyotes Jim and I missed last year, they wouldn't stop for nothin, that is until they stood atop the hill with no background to stop the bullet if we missed. :madd:

Have fun on the line and hope to see some pics of an Otter.

JD

keekee

Zero for us today as well! Everything was froze in! Everything. At -2 Deg its tough to keep anything working. Creeks are froze over as well all the water sets are froze in or under Ice. Not much sign of anything moving right now.

We desided to lay off the long line till Sat morning. Warm up is comming and the creeks will be good to go after Friday! Warm up means we should lay the smack down on the coons! Picked up a ton of beaver land today some great places as well! Good two good leads on Otter as well!

No Coyotes in Lockwoods! I cant beleave you said that :roflmao:......LMAO!

Who ran the camera? The new guy?

Hey we got Gray fox to shoot before season goes out! You better get you ass down here or Im going to go shoot them!

Brent

Todd Rahm

studabaka

Had a few days of cold here and the coons don't seem to be moving as much..... couple that with the water levels stabilizing and ......

keekee

OH YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats what were looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Nice Stu! Very nice! Im going to be one happy man if I walk up on one like that in a set! You might be able to hear me down there were you are! :biggrin:

We just dont have that many here yet and man they cover allot of ground!

Congrads Stu!

Brent

FinsnFur

:yoyo: :yoyo: NNNNice.
Arent you a little concerned though, about theft with that chain anchor exposed like that?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

When set you can't see the chain.... he tore out my drowning stake and tangled in the stump  :puke: It's one of my favorite spots for otter and beaver, but have had both tangle in that stump on ocassion. ...... plus of the few folks allowed on this farm, none trap and none would mess with my stuff.

I'll be listening Brent cause your gonna hook up with one soon I'm sure. There is a pretty healthy population of them around here and they are creatures of habit so it's pretty much finding their routes and setting to intercept.

Nelson

That's great Stu!!!!   :yoyo:   :yoyo:  What are Otter skins going for?

Nelson

Hawks Feather

Stu,

Way to go, but that Beaver sure is skinny.   :biggrin:  Just kidding, nice looking muskrat.  My wife thinks it looks "otterly" beautiful.

Nice catch,

Jerry

DirtyDog

Good deal Stu!!!!! I hope that one day soon I can get a set and have that sittin in it.  :biggrin:

studabaka

Thanks guys....sorry for the highjack Brent  :shck:

Here is what NAFA says on otter......

Special Notice Regarding the Otter Market
Herman Jansen reports that the problem between the Dalai Lama and the Chinese government still exists and therefore Otter skins are not selling. People are reporting that it is not a matter of price, but that the Tibetans, who are the major consumers of these skins, are not willing to buy. NAFA will therefore have to re-establish new markets for these skins, a process which normally tends to take two years.

We would recommend that all of our trappers limit their Otter harvest, as prices most likely will be reduced over last years prices by more than half and maybe as much as two-thirds. It is NAFAs intention to sell all the trapper Otters in the February 2007 auction at no limits, to establish a new market. Please be assured that NAFA will do everything within its power to generate the maximum amount of activity for this important article.

I've got a few in the freezer and have been tanning a few. Doesn't look like a good time to be selling them raw.  :shrug: