• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Pro Plus Oil

Started by studabaka, November 14, 2006, 07:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

Jim,

Do you use Pro Plus Oil?

The instructions say mix 1 part oil to 2 parts water and sweat for 3-4 hours and being the anal guy that I am that is what I have been doing all along....until..... I'm in the process of drying/breaking two bob cats and for various no good reasons I used a mix more like 1 to 1 and let them sweat for about 12 hours. It sure seems to me that they are more supple then previous ones, though I'm not sure which/both/niether of these deviations might have contributed.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

My belief is that the 12 hour sweat did it Stu. But heck I been wrong before.

I can honestly say that I talked to Bruce shortly after he came out with this oil, and I did ask the same question. He told me if I mixed it one to one I'd be wasting my money.  :shrug:

I don't use the stuff anymore, but when I did, everything sweat 12 to 18 hours and it worked great. Reason I dont use it any more is because Bruce called and asked me if I'd be willing to sample the Ultra Soft when it came out, he was going to send me a couple gallons.....that never happened, ....I was so interested I bought it myself and never went back to the other.
It doesn't get mixed, it goes on straight and it is awesome stuff.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

Cool..... assume you stuck with your 12-18 hour sweating? Think I'll give that stuff a try on my next oil order. Are you still using EZTan? ..... and I guess while I'm at it..... I had been using ultra soft for relaxing, but have recently incorporated blood-eater into that mix due to frozen bloody hides...... and using safety acid for my pickle [seems to hold the PH great]. Any tips or things you might think I should consider?

BTW - I have used Krowtan on a few of my own ADC coons [EZTan for all customer work] and they came out pretty nice. I've been meaning to run a few through the washing machine as kind of a stress test.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Yep still using the EZ100 with excellent results.

I used to use the Ultra Soft religiously and I swore by it at the time. I got a wild hair one day to try Knoblochs Kemal4 and I've never looked back. It cuts rehydration time literally in half. In preps the skins for pickling, it actually cleans the skins......and now the best part ....it takes 1/2 ounce of Kemal4 to each gallon of water  :biggrin:

I can't believe I'm posting my strategies on a public forum. I'm gonna freak out and delete this post in two days  :laf:

Safety acid is awesome. As long as you keep it clean it hold the PH great, I agree.

Krowtan!?  :shck: Yowwwww that's a naughty word meaning simulated tan.  :wink:
I wont keep ya by making you read that speech but do yourself a favor and be carefull with the washing part because unless I'm mistaken Krowtan is a highly leachable tan. Meaning when it gets wet it's leached from the skin. I'd have to check to confirm that, but I think it's in the leachable category.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

I've read a bunch of raging debates on Krowtan and understand exactly what your saying, which is why I have the urge to try the washer approach and resolve it in my mind. A couple of my own coons seems like a small price to stratch this itch.

On the other stuff. I really appreciate your advice and insights, but I also respect the fact that you have invested to develop your process to the level that it is and not wanting to just give it away. I probably can't refrain from picking your brain and you probably can't refrain from sharing..... not sure how to fix. Thoughts?

Mallardsr

I used Krowtan. Directions had me put baking soda in the rinse. Do I know anything about tanning? I dont think so!  :shrug:

FinsnFur

Sounds about right Mallard
Backing soda would be the nuetralizer, to stop the tanning process. Too much too long ruins the skin.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Mallardsr

So thats what happened!   :shck:  :eyebrow:

FinsnFur

you didn't nuetralize it uh?
It just kept tanning then most likely.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

or kept pretend tanning as the case may be.  :confused:

Mallardsr

I think my biggest problem was the fleshing in the shoulder  and head. The lower part seemed alright but overall I think I just didn't spend enough time on it. I followed the tanning instructions the best I understood them. I found out that tanning ain't my cup of tea. Don't have any patience for detailed (work),but now at least I have a greater appreciation for what it takes to make a fur look good.  :biggrin:

studabaka

Yup....the devil is in the details when it comes to tanning. The guys that are good at it have clearly put in a lot of work to get there. I agree that the head and shoulders are the most challenging part of fleshing.

FinsnFur

Yeah thats where the round knife takes the work out of it.

Flesh er down, and open that skin up so the chemicals can get to it and take.
You can make a 2" thick piece of Buffalo neck hide softer then a hankerchief.....but the chemicals have to get to the skin to do it.

Lots of first timers aren't real clear as to what is and what isn't far enough, and hey...I was there once too.
But any flesh left behind what so ever will prevent them chemicals from penetrating. When ya think about it, it only makes sense. How many deer, coyotes or beaver have we skinned that when we poked with a knife, the rain water poured out of em?  :wink:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers