• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

New Boat

Started by Jimmie in Ky, May 29, 2007, 11:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmie in Ky

I finally found me a small jon boat for fishing the creeks and slough's near here. Tiny thing but it keeps me dry  :biggrin:

Took it to a water shed lake I had not fished in years and was dissapointed. Some younger folks have discovered the small lake and are working it for th bass population in it. Used to be some decent bluegill fishing there years ago, not any more. They are becoming over stocked and stunted. I killed everything I caught. Most I dressed but several wound up in the bait can. Jimmie

studabaka

Cool on the boat. I have been using a scanoe [like a canoe, but with a square tail where you can mount a small or electric motor] to get in some places. Sure beats flailing in the weeds and brush from the shore.

Sorry to hear about your fishing hole. I was just reading an article on pond management and it's interesting all the variables that are connected to keep it balanced and productive.

You should take pics of your catches and join in the fun on the fishing tourney.  :highclap:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

DirtyDog

Congrats on the boat Jimmie  :yoyo:......and sorry to hear about your honney hole.   :sad:

awh

WTG on the boat :yoyo: I too am sorry to hear about your honey hole. Here the Bluegills are on the bedds and won't hit very well. Could that be an issue there too?
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Jimmie in Ky

Bed fishing is the time to really nail them once you figure out how. There are several diferent methods used here in my state. Main thing is to get th bait or lure as close to the bed as possible, in it even if you can see them. Start on the outside of the beds and work you way in. I do this all the time. They will use the same bedding areas alll summer long during each full moon period.Large males and females will more likely be on the outside in deeper water. Sandy points are the prefered nesting sites.I found the larger ones the other day on a small point with woody cover and hard bottom. they were bedding big time in there.

The week berfore the full moon will find them staging nearby just as bass do. They may be deep as ten feet or more depending on cover and the edge they are holding on.

When I am after meat I use live bait. But when searching for them or just having some fun I use an artificial cricket on a number six bait holder hook rigged carolina style. You need about three to four foot of leader after the weight and swivel. Hard to cast with lite gear but it works very well and takes mainly the larger fish in the area since smaller ones can't get the whole bait in thier mouth. You will have a lot of missed strikes using this but it is well worth trying everywhere.I happen to prefer th black ones, you can get them at most Walmart stores. This can be done with a black gnat fly but you will have more hang ups.

If you have a main lake hydro dam somewhere nearby thye can be taken in th tail waters in large numbers. Finding them is the key to this. Use live bait and spot fish down river until you find the slack water areas where they pile up in huge numbers. You will take small scattered fish in several places but look for the first large fish you can catch. I don't mean look for anythig less than eight ounces, find the big ones. Then you can sit and take them as fast as you can bait a hook. If you look long enough you can find several of these honey holes within a mile of the dam.

If your looking for really big shellcrackers look in the same areas just deeper. As much as ten feet deep sometimes. But twenty or so weighing over a pound each is fine eating. Jimmie

Bob D

Jimmy,
Interesting read, thanks for posting,  what weight line are you using on the Carolina Rig ? Around here you can wear em out  when the bream are on the bed.
Bob

Jimmie in Ky

I use six pound test all the time and a light drag. I never know when up on the lakes what will be at the other end when I set the hook. Smallmouth seem to like it too.

Weight is 1/8 oz ,smalll bead, swivel and a six pound leader. Run the hook straight through so the point rest's against the belly of the cricket. Not completley weed proof but close to it. Some fellas I knew started using this rig with live crickets in deeper water. Worked like gang busters on big bluegill and shell crackers when they are not on the beds. I have seen two men fill two large coolers in a full day of fishing doing this one. Jimmie

FinsnFur

Those are nice boats if you like to fish tough spots or alone.
I got one I can toss right in the back of the pick up and go.  :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

Jimmy talking about shellcrackers sure brought back some memories. I was fortunate to have grown up down the road from Merits mill pond. I have caught a lot of big shellcrackers out of that place. Probably 20 or 30 over 2 pounds. they have a 14inch limit of only 5 fish now. It is still not that hard to catch your limit there.

Back in the 80's it was nothin to take a couple of ice chest full of plate sized shellcrackers out there. A lot of people have trouble caatching them there is a art to doing it. I spent several bad years before learning.

Here is a small link will try to find some more with pic's http://myfwc.com/fishing/news-rel/st-merr.html
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Jimmie in Ky

The boat is a litle 8 footer, pretty easy to pitch around. And the oars that came with it make it pretty danged fast on the water even with my big fanny in it.It's even pretty manuverable with a sculling paddle, so I can put it where I want it.

I haven't hit th two pound mark with the shell cracker's yet but have come pretty close a time or two. A lot of states are putting a limit on them now since a lot of folks are targeting them specifically because of that size. And quite frankly your fish and game departments don't know a whole lot about the species because of their habits. They know what they eat and where they bed , but that is about it. Funny thing is I can't remember taking many small ones at all, not under about 8oz. Wonder where the small ones hang out while getting to that size? We also have a new size and number limit on them this year but I don't know what it is yet. I should probably find out , Reckon :eyebrownod:

Have any of you seen a large long ear or pumpkinseed? anything above about 6 oz. Jimmie