• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

USPSA - What I do when it's not hunting season

Started by cb223, June 06, 2008, 08:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb223

Next to hunting, shooting USPSA matches is my favorite hobby. So I thought I would post up a few pics. The first two are of me shooting a stage.

This is a good friend of mine that I work and shoot with. We are both in the same class and shoot at the same level, sometimes the competition gets pretty fierce!   :biggrin: The scoring is a balance between speed and accuracy, weighted toward speed. I'm faster but he is usually bit more accurate, so it can go either way.

This is another friend of mine that I shoot with standing in front of one of the more challenging targets. Its called a Texas Star. The object is to shoot the plates off, the challenge comes after one gets shot off it starts to rotate because it is out of balance.

We all shoot for JT's Gunsmithing. There is around ten of us. JT built all of our guns and keeps them running at top performance. Most of us shoot open class, comps, red dot sights and 29 round mags. Just about anything goes!  :yoyo:
The rest of the guys shoot limited class, open sights, no comps and only 20 round mags.

If you have never shot USPSA, IDPA or for that matter any run and gun handgun competition you should give it a try sometime. It is an absolute blast.  :yoyo:  :yoyo:  :yoyo:

Me shooting weak hand.

Scoring the targets.
CHAD

FinsnFur

I've always wnated to be good enough to compete like that. I guess I'm a wanna be at this point.

Hey how come your foot is off the ground in the first pic? Were you doing a draw and shoot type thing?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

I can not afford to do this anymore but it sure has changed a lot over the years. Just got my carry gun now,........Kimber Ultra carry.
Sure looks like fun though :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

cb223

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 06, 2008, 09:35:49 PM
I've always wnated to be good enough to compete like that. I guess I'm a wanna be at this point.

Hey how come your foot is off the ground in the first pic? Were you doing a draw and shoot type thing?

You are good enough! There are shooters of all abilities.

My foot is off the ground because I'm on the move. Shooting while at a fast walk is faster than run, stop and shoot. You can make up alot of time by staying on the move. If you keep your center of balance low, kind of in a crouch it helps to keep the bounce out of your sight picture. Then you just shoot between steps.
CHAD

KySongDog

I'm shooting an IDPA match tomorrow.  My arm is well enough to hold a 9mm I think.   :biggrin:

IDPA doesn't have all that "race" gun stuff but is still a heck of a lot of fun!   

Semp

cb223

CHAD

FinsnFur

Ah yah, that made sense.... because you weren't standing still just shooting at stationary targets :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

iahntr

Scott

alscalls

I shoot tactical at my homeade targets marching toward the target mostly shooting when my weight is forward its hard to explain but I got my buddy doing it and he is a lot better shot because of it.
We shoot on the run as we call it as well but it is more of a fast walk. We just do it for fun though. The cost kills me.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

Hey, thanks for sharing that Chad!  :biggrin:

Our gun club has all those shoots there, but I seem to always be working. :madd:

Frogman

cb223,
      That's cool.  I Still shoot IDPA at the local club.  I used to do USPSA as well as some local non-affiliated matches.  Got into it bigtime for a while there.  It's lots of fun.  Everyone should give it a try.  The people are almost as friendly and just as willing to help newcomers as you guys on this forum!  I became a certified IDPA range officer several years ago and like to help run stages at the Ft. Harmar club near Marietta OH.  I'm sceduled to run a stage at the July match.  Lots of fun.  Nice photos.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Hey Frogman

The IDPA is going to run their annual "Postal" shoot in July.  That's where clubs across the country shoot the same stages and then mail in their scores to be compared against everyone else.  I shot it last year and it was a lot of fun.  Is that what you are running in July?

Semp

Frogman

Semp,
     I will be running a regular stage at our monthly match the 4th Sunday in July at the Ft. Harmar Rifle Club near Marietta OH.  I have heard of the postal matches but have never participated.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

cb223

I shot the Area 5 Championship this past weekend. I think there was around 290 shooters. I finished 36 out of 81 in my division. I was hoping to do better, guess I'm gonna have to practice more! But I had alot of fun, shot 12 stages with about 250 rounds.

Here's a video of me shooting one of the shorter stages.

CHAD

DirtyDog

Man that looks really cool. One day I just hope to shoot a pistol.  :nono:

FinsnFur

:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: It does! It looks like a lotta fun.

So what's the scenerio?...your just setting there on your front porch launchin some Redman juice into the grass, enjoying a hot summer evening and all of a sudden a carload of spooks pull up in a jacked up Buick Regal, with smoked out windows, and spinner hubcaps, with MC Hammer pounding the speakers inside, and honk the horn and yell your daughters name?....or what? :laf: :laf: :laf:
I gotta catch my breath :whew:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

DirtyDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 25, 2008, 09:49:25 PM
with MC Hammer pounding the speakers inside

MC Hammer??????? You really are a dinosaur aren't you Jim?  :laf:

vvarmitr

That's some fun there for sure, but running w/ a loaded gun w/ the safety off I bet?  :shrug:

cb223

I don't know what the scenario is. Doesn't really matter it's a hell of alot of fun  :yoyo:

Although if the homeboys were out front honking and yelling....... well   :eyebrow:

Quote from: vvarmitr on June 26, 2008, 10:18:16 AM
That's some fun there for sure, but running w/ a loaded gun w/ the safety off I bet?  :shrug:

Yes most of the time when running the safety is off. I will admit that it sounds scary. USPSA has some of the strictest safety rules that I know of. If you do have an AD (accidental discharge) that is a DQ. You are done shooting that match. There are many ways to get get yourself DQed for a safety violation. Almost all of the rules revolve around safety.

When I go to the range just to target shoot and plink the gun handling skills of 90% of the people around me make me nervous. When I go to a USPSA match I am quite relaxed. For one you can only handle your gun under the command of a range officer when you are getting ready to shoot a stage or in a safe area where no ammo is allowed. DQable offenses!

Notice in the video the direction my muzzle is pointing. Down range and below the berm! At all times.

I know this sounds like alot of BS, but I think if you went to watch a match you would understand what I'm trying to get at.
CHAD

vvarmitr

Thanks for explaining that to me & not taking offense.  It was a honest question. :wink:

I know what you mean about the some people at the Rifle Range. :rolleye: