• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

I had to try something

Started by Bills Custom Calls, November 15, 2011, 08:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bills Custom Calls

A couple weeks ago a 13 year old boy asked if I would call in a deer for him I told him I would give it a try
so Saturday Morning I pick him up and we were in our spot by 6:15 with the moon so bright it was hard to tell the difference from the moon being put away and the sun breaking the horizon
We set up under this bush in a field

Here are some pics of whet we could see

In the last pic that is where the doe cam in from

When I started calling I took the antlers and very lightly rubbed them together and then done a couple soft short deep grunts done this a couple times then went quiet for about 5 minutes then took the antlers and started raking them hard on the ground then a rustling leaves then smack them together a time or 2 and rake a bit more a couple more short grunts Then the doe appeared way in the back of the last pic she just stood there for a few minutes so I raked the antlers on the ground a bit more and another grunt and she was walking right to us  She got to the bush on the left and walked in behind it and stood there and was this boy ever pumped and it must have been catchy cause my ticker was pounding too  :biggrin: That bush being 20 yards away I had to be still now so I had to try something  :wo: a lip squeak and her ears perk right up I try again and now she is coming right to us as if she were on a leash I see the cross bow get shouldered and I am thinking we are gonna have to move or this boy better shoot then I here the bow shoot and the deer take off I hit the grunt and she stops about 40 yards out   :whew: I look and he is just sitting there going I hit her I know I did but this doe is coming back for round 2 I say no you didn't and you better reload as quickly as possible he reloads and i lip squeak again and here she come 20 yards out and turns broad side and I am certian by 7:10am we are gonna have  deer down but he misses again after the doe was out of sight i stepped off the first shot and it was only 12 steps
This boy has shot deer before but this was his first called in deer and would have been his first with the bow we went out again on sunday but nothing came in that time and that is when I took these pics
We had a  great time and I will always remember it and I am sure he will too
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

iahntr

Scott

FinsnFur

Sounds like fun regardless. Was he new to the whole bow thing or what happen? Just buck fever?
ok....make that DOE fever.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Great thing you did there Bill.

Jerry

Bills Custom Calls

Yeah Jim new to the bow thing After he missed like that I set him up to shoot target and watched him and he was dropping the front when he shot so after a few pointers he is doing better now on a still target
next weekend is our youth hunt Not sure how many kids we have this year but we have a good sized group again

riverboss

Way to go Bill!! :highclap: Im sure you made a friend for life to bad he missed but i know he will never forget.

vvarmitr

Lip squeaked in a deer?  :holdon:
What in tarnation - who'd have thunk it! :confused:

Bills Custom Calls

Yeah this young feller is my neices step son and he has hunted with me off and on since he was 4 years old I have huted with his older brother and younger brother as well

VV I hear ya i was very surprised when this doe came to us on a lip squeak But I really had to try something and it worked this time so next time I am sure it won't  :laf:

Frogman

Bill,

Thanks for neat story!  Thanks also for taking that youngster hunying! 

You done good!

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!