• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First deer in over 10 years...

Started by centerfire_223, October 14, 2013, 05:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

I quit deer hunting back in 2000 and went to full time predator hunting. But this year I got the itch to pick up my bow and give it another try. I guess as I get older I just want a little more laid back hunting for a change. Anyway, climbed into the stand Saturday morning before daylight and watched the woods wake up, man what a wonderful site. At about 9:30 I looked up and there stood 2 does at 25 yards feeding under a white oak tree. I thought, man where did those come from. I watched them for about 10 minutes trying to get my bow up and finally I got both of their heads turned at the same time. When I released the arrow it caught on my jacket sleeve and made my arrow kick left. I knew the deer was hit but I couldn't tell how bad. After a little bit I got down and found my arrow, blood on the fletching but not covered like you hope for. There was plenty of blood on the ground, so I started trailing. Only took about 70 yards to find her piled up. The arrow had went through her neck, looked like a Jack The Ripper had gotten a hold of her. Not the hit I wanted but at least I recovered her. I hate to loose one, especially on my mistake. Tenderloins on the grill for the first time in years. Feels great to be back at it.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

HuntnCarve

Congrats Ronnie!  I know the feeling you described.  I too gave up archery hunting many years back.  Then a dear friend "Dave" got me back out there.  I recognized all I had been missing but did not have the sense to realize it.  The Autumn woods are something that should not be missed out on.  It does a body good to be out there, even if a tag does not get filled.  Welcome back.

Dave

Hawks Feather

Congrats on the doe.  I haven't been out this year, but really enjoy being 'out there' about as much as hunting.  I am NOT going peta, green, or anything like that.  I just enjoy it.

Jerry

wv_yoter

Jason

Okanagan

Quote from: centerfire_223 on October 14, 2013, 05:36:39 AM
Tenderloins on the grill for the first time in years. Feels great to be back at it.

Yes.

Very good hunting and shooting for the first day back!   :highclap:

FinsnFur

Congrats on the short bow season Ronnie. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

Congrats on the kill. Not sure how you went ten years without venison. Dont think i could do it
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

redlaw

Congrats, I know how it feels going a season without.

JohnP

When the kids left home I stopped hunting deer for the venison and started hunting for the rack.  Made myself a promise never to shoot a deer smaller than the last one.  Consequently I have gone many years without any venison.  Your last two sentences "Tenderloins on the grill for the first time in years. Feels great to be back at it." makes me re-think my self imposed promise. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

possumal

Good going, Ronnie.  Tenderloins on the grill, especially wrapped in thick, hickory smoked bacon makes for some good eating.  Glad you made a quick comeback.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff