• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Hogzilla's big brother ?

Started by straycat, May 25, 2007, 11:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straycat

Anyone see this? I find this hard to believe.  :shrug:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PBKB5G0&show_article=1&image=large
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

FinsnFur

Yeah, Semp posted it in the tailgate. That is almost too big to believe. Wow!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Any one up for a hog roast? Would take 2 rick of wood to cook that thing
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

cb223

I don't think I could shoot that monster, especially with a handgun.

I'd be to busy crapping myself!!
CHAD

studabaka

Local news just said this was someones pet and it's name was fred and was sold to the place he was shot four days prior....
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Jeb

I feel kinda bad for the kid , I mean they were thinking it was truly wild.
                         Jeb

straycat

FRUITHURST — Before he became known as "Monster Pig," the 1,051-pound hog shot in Delta was known by another name.

Fred.

Rhonda and Phil Blissitt state, on April 29, four days before the hog was killed, Fred was one of many livestock on their farm.

Late Thursday evening, their claims were confirmed by Andy Howell, Game Warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries.

"I didn't want to stir up anything," Rhonda Blissitt said. "I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig."

Added Phil Blissitt: "If it went down in the record book, it would be deceiving, and we'd know that for the rest of our lives."

The monster hog gained worldwide acclaim after he was harvested by 11-year-old Jamison Stone, a Pickensville native, with a .50-caliber pistol on May 3 at the Lost Creek Plantation, LLC, a hunting preserve in Delta. The big boar was hunted inside a large, low-fence enclosure and fired upon 16 times by Stone, who struck the animal nearly a half-dozen times during the three-hour hunt.

The Blissitts said they were unaware that the hog generating all the media attention was once theirs. It wasn't until Howell spoke with Phil Blissitt that the pieces of the puzzle came together.

Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking him about the now-famous hog.

"Did you see that pig on TV?" Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking him. "I said, 'Yeah, I had one about that size. He said, 'No, that one is yours.'

"That's when I knew."

Phil Blissitt purchased the pig for his wife as a Christmas gift in December of 2004. From 6 weeks old, they raised the pig as it grew to its enormous size.

Not long ago, they decided to sell off all of their pigs. Eddy Borden, owner of Lost Creek Plantation, purchased Fred.

Attempts to reach Borden were unsuccessful.

While Rhonda Blissitt was somewhat in the dark about the potential demise of her pet, Phil Blissitt said he was under the understanding that it would breed other female pigs and then "probably be hunted." Many other of their former pigs — like their other farm animals — had been raised for the purpose of agricultural harvest.

As the Blissitts recounted the events of the last two days, they told stories and made many references to the gentleness of their former "pet."

From his treats of canned sweet potatoes to the how grandchildren would play with him, their stories painted the picture of a gentle giant. The even talked about how their small chihuahua would get in the pen with him and could come out unscathed.

"But if they hadn't fed him in a while," Rhonda Blissitt said, "he could have gotten irate."

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when they learned about all the doubters who said photos of Fred were doctored.

"That was a big hog," he said.

The information of the pig's previous owner came out on the same day that officials from the Fish and Wildlife concluded their investigation of the hunt. They concluded that nothing illegal happened under the guidelines of Alabama law.

Allan Andress, enforcement chief for the Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division, said they derived the hog's origin as the investigation unfolded.

"We were able to determine that he came from a domesticated environment," he said. "So, he was not feral to start with. Therefore, he would not violate our feral swine trapping and relocating rule."

Mike Stone, Jamison's father, contends that he was unaware of the origin of the pig. Before, during and after the hunt — and up until late Thursday night, when contacted — Mike Stone was under the impression that the hog was feral.

"We were told that it was a feral hog," Mike Stone said, "and we hunted it on the pretense that it was a feral hog."
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

Hawks Feather

HaastylCalls,

The article I read made it seem like the DNR got involved because it was listed as a Feral hog and they were concerned with the spread of them to other places in the state.  The local sports writer had some info from the Ohio DNR and they said they are concerned with the Feral hogs due to the fact that they carry some diseases, reproduce quickly, and eat anything and everything that is on the ground.

I do fee bad for the kid if he (or his father) didn't know that it was a pen hog.  But if it was true that the hunt was inside a 150 acre fence it would certainly seem like someone else would have seen it if it had been a true Feral hog.

Jerry

ErictheRed

QuoteI feel kinda bad for the kid , I mean they were thinking it was truly wild.

Do you think they really thought it was truely wild, since it was only a 150 acre fenced area, and it weighed over 1000 pounds?

I would think that most anyone could have figured that out. :confused: