• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

3 days in Watonga, OK

Started by Arkyyoter, December 16, 2007, 09:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyyoter

Hi guys...got back this afternoon from a fun three days in Watonga.

Mark played host to Kelly and me for a few stands...the weather didn't cooperate so well, but man did we have a blast!!!

We got started Friday morning, freezing fog, extremely limited visibility ( 100 yards or less) and cold. Don't let that get ya down, we had a most wonderful morning...we drove into an area and quietly exited the truck. Bingo!! Two groups of coyotes opened up...sweet!! We walked in and got set up, Kelly was calling...about the third sequence, I hear Mark's .204..a very muffled BOOM...we sit tight and continue calling. After about 15 - 20 minutes, we get up and walk over to where Mark is sitting and get the "thumbs up." the first yote in down.

A couple stands later, after us getting busted a time or two, we are set up on the North Canadian River. I am calling and I hear Kelly's little .204...then again a couple rounds...seems we called in a double, or two seperate ones, but Kelly drops the first one and the second one is WAY out there...so it lives to be called another day.

We move and set up again...Kelly is calling...I hear BOOM...Kelly had popped another one, but he made it into the woods...we had shot dog #3 for the morning...

We move and set up again, I am calling, Kelly is sitting about 8 feet to my right, and Mark is back behind watching a different direction. I see what appears to be a yote about 90 yards across a field, coming hard down a fence row. As it turns and starts at us in a lope, we see it is a cat. He stops about 65 yards out in front of me, and I can't shoot...DANG! My cheapie 42.50 out of state license won't allow me to shoot a cat, so I look at Kelly...I am thinking SHOOT Kelly, this is KILLING me!!! So, he lip squeaks and the cat comes to 50 yards and stops again....this time he pops him....whew!!! Then in a minute or two I hear Mark bark, and BOOM!! One more dog and a kitty for our morning....it is about 1:30 pm...so far our total is 4 dogs shot and one cat.

The weather went south after that and the yotes just simply quit.

Saturday we awake to 30 mph winds and wind driven snow...nasty but we go at it anyway....all day without a taker, a friend of Mark's named Tony made some stands with us, great guy!!...Sunday morning breaks bright and clear and we KNOW it is gonna be good!! We make about 4 stands...no takers. Then it is time to start the 300 mile drive back home...

At any rate, it was a wonderful time, I will never forget Friday morning's success ( called 9 yotes and one cat...shot 4 yotes and one cat). I will not forget the weather...but most of all the comraderie of two great guys....Mark and Kelly are a blast to hunt with, both very knowledgeable and capable...this old hillbilly learned a lot.

Thanks guys for a great time!!

Joe

Jeb

Looks like yall had a awesome trip !  :congrats: :congrats:
                    Jeb

Btw- I still need a mailing addy $$$

FinsnFur

Looks like ya's had an awesome time  :congrats:
I wouldnt have been looking forward to the 300 mile drive though. Thanks for bringing in the pics  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

It don't get much better than that!  Thanks for sharing.   :congrats:

vvarmitr

Joe, you are the dangness dog downer der be! :congrats:

Wonderful success story. Thanks for sharing. :biggrin:  And God Bless ya, ya didn't forget the camera. :laf:
That second day showed ya what it's like to hunt Ohio. :doh2:

BTW Should I know Mark & Kelly from the board here?  :shrug: 

Arkyyoter

Thanks guys, we had a blast!!

Mark and Kelly are memebers of the Oklahoma, OPHA board, not this one ...yet :wink:

Joe

hammeryotes

it does'nt get any better than that. awesome job fella's. :yoyo:

Hawks Feather

Joe,

It sure looks and sounds like you had a great time.  With all that practice the critters in Arky land won't be safe.

Jerry

HaMeR

Very good writeup! I enjoyed it & your hunts both. Glad to hear you got some bonus shooting in on that fun trip. :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

keekee

Way to go Joe, thats a awesome day! Congrads!

Brent

MELSDAD

Congratulations guys, thanks for the pictures.

wv_yoter

That's a pretty good morning Joe. Nice shooting & nice pics :congrats:
Jason

centerfire_223

Great story and pictures, looks like yall had a good time.  :yoyo:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

vvarmitr

Quote from: Arkyyoter on December 17, 2007, 06:55:43 AMMark and Kelly are members of the Oklahoma, OPHA board, not this one ...yet :wink:

:whew: I was feelin' kinda bad for not recognizing 'em.

Well, since they aren't members no sense in ragging the young feller about the need for some facial hair. :innocentwhistle:

Now I got that one Aerosmith tune going through my head.  :rolleye:

Ladobe

Great write up and pictures Joe.   I'd say "wish I was there" 'cept for the weather.   :wink:
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

ozarkyoter

As always...great story.  Nice pics.  WTG!  Now that's a nice compliment from a brother-in-law.......AIN'T IT? :laf:

Jim

Hawks Feather

"Now that's a nice compliment from a brother-in-law.......AIN'T IT? "   And it came right before Joe goes Christmas shopping for you.   :wink:

Jerry

Actually that is a nice compliment and well deserved.

ozarkyoter

Don't take you long to catch on Jerry!!! :congrats:   I've been busted. :doh2:

Jim

Todd Rahm

Cool pics Joe and nice cat. Looks like ya was a lil' chilly there.  :nono:

ohiobob

Joe
Looks like you are LOVING Retirement a TON  :yoyo: Great Job and Vv is right, on Sunday it was NASTY in Ohio
But we get use to it, Great Pics to
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???