• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Lets talk decoys...

Started by ATLRoach, March 03, 2008, 12:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATLRoach

What have you guys had success with? I'm running a quiver critter in the woods and stuffed chicken when i hunt farms.

Only issues I have running a decoy is the yotes come running full bore at it and are hard to stop.

bigben

I have used the jack in the box since they came out and I have noticed just the oppisite in pa.  most of the times they stop and take a look at it for a while before they ever think about coming in.  if anything I have noticed it gives me extra time to get on em.  I know the greys sure do like em.  pretty funny when they keep comin up and bopin it with their nose. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

CCP

Out of all the decoys I have had through the years. The whirling woodpecker is my all time favorite.  When I use my Minaska Big Country I use the built in decoy.

My experiences are more on the line of Ben's they usually pause when they see it. After that they may run on in but not always.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Rich your probably the best decoy money can't buy. You coyote ugly sob :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

browning204

I really want one of those minaska side winders. I like the way it wiggles and stuff and I can run it from my bandit or it can run solo.

If the old saying is true, "eastern hunters call in way more than they see" then maybe a little movement would make them come in for a closer look.

then again, maybe not.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

BigB

I don't use decoys and probably won't in the future either.  I hunt some fairly open country, and usually have about a 1/4 to half mile of a walk into the stand.  I don't have anything against decoys, but it is just one more thing to haul into the field and out.  I set up to where I have at least 200 yards or more in front of me of open space that I can see them coming.  I get closter phobic sitting in a timber while calling.  I've called in that thick stuff before, and they always come from the direction I don't expect em.  Maybe a decoy would help in the timber for me, maybe not. :confused:  I'd much rather call them out of the timber though into the wide open. :biggrin:

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

bootmud

I have a foxpro JIB and it's a nice decoy but I don't use it much.  I've found that I usually have enough gear to carry and the decoy is just to much to fool with.  The few times I did use it the foxes, threw on the brakes to check it out though.

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

Bob D

I use the decoy alot. It sure makes em stop for a look and that's all I want them to do. I carry mine in a backpack all hooked up and ready to go. All I do is take it out and turn the Foxpro on and the decoy on. After the first set I leave the decoy on on and turn the Foxpro off when I load it up into the backpack. It makes it easy and quiet. Next set I just turn on the Foxpro and start calling.

ErictheRed

I have thought about trying the woodpecker decoy. How long will the batteries last?

I've looked at them, but it seemed like they needed to make a better way of attaching it.

Bluesman

I've been using that whirling woodpecker.  I have had several large birds of prey actually attack it and more than a few crows go bezerk around it.  I am still waiting for a coyote or bobcat to respond.

On one occasion a hawk was lit up in a tree right next to the woodpecker as several crows were flying and raising cane up above.  Out of nowhere comes another hawk at full speed down through the skyline, into the trees like a bullett.  In less than a half a second he had slammed the whiriling woodpecker and vanished.  He never broke his flight path.  I finished the stand but when I retreived the woodpecker from the ground he had no wing.  Only the spinning wire was left.  The hawk had snatched the wing right off of it.  I had to rig a turkey feather onto that wire.

....and I've also been through a bunch of  batteries.  I need a four legged fur bearer to come in to the decoy soon before I decide to put it on ebay.   I guess I just need to hang in there.

JB
Protect our sport.  Act like you got some sense out there so future generations can enjoy hunting too,

JB

Ladobe

I've used decoys often over the years, but not any of those battery operated thingy's.   A simple feather or fluff on a string tied to a convienient branch moving with the wind always worked just fine for me.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

CCP

QuoteI have thought about trying the woodpecker decoy. How long will the batteries last?

Standard AA battery only last me one stand. I use the rechargeable batteries they last 2 to 3 stands. I have lots of them so I always have some charged ones with me. If you bought the 4 rechargeable battery pack with charger they would last you for years.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

coyote101

QuoteI have thought about trying the woodpecker decoy. How long will the batteries last?

I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, but it seems like, depending on the temp, one or two stands at best. I just bought some rechargables.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bootmud

Seems like you guys are really having good results with your decoys.  I might have to give the JIB a bit more action next year. 

Does anyone have luck using the JIB at night using the little LED light?  Does it spook the critters at all?

Thanks,  bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

bigben

curt I use it at night on full moon nights that I hunt just like daytime anyhow.  so I never use the light.  other then that I believe that you hunt with your shooter right beside you right?  if ya got the light in their eyes they can't see it no matter anyhow.  on the full moon nights I set up for fox just like day time and wait till they are within range to hit em with the scope mounted light so they can see the decoy just fine. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bootmud

Ben,

Good point, never really thought that they wouldn't be able to see the decoy with the light on em. :doh2:

I just haven't used the decoys much, there's enough dagone stuff to carry.

bootmud 
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

ErictheRed

QuoteI just haven't used the decoys much, there's enough dagone stuff to carry

I hunted with a guy once who had the jack in the box, and it did seem like too much to carry if you had to walk very far.

trappinjohn

I just got a Mojo Critter last week.  Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it's fairly light and has some good movement.  Was planning on getting out this weekend, but were getting another storm  :argh:

golfertrout

i would rather have a decoy then not. it keeps the movement away from the hunter

jbordy

I tot my jib and foxpro in a backpack.  That backpack of mine is like a puppy to me.  If I go someplace and don't grab it the darn thing whines in the corner.  I made a home made topper for it out of some old faux fur and the action is pretty good.  I have had a number of animals come in and stare but no coyotes yet.  One owl flew in and landed on a branch no more than 10 feet from the decoy.  It just sat there and stared, not moving for 15 minutes.  He flew away without diving at it but it was fun watching the owl from my stand.  By the way, I was about 12 feet  :huh:from the owl, so we were kind-of up close and personal. :iroll:
Learn daily and pass it on.