• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Fee Increases in VA/Need input ideas and feed back

Started by vayotehowler, October 10, 2010, 02:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vayotehowler

Ok guys lets have a good discussion on this topic . Please no comments about what my fees are comparing to yours. I am attachign two articles one from two diff writers we have at the paper here in Roanoke va. DGIF is planning on raising fees 5.00 on each license we have to purchase here . Currently land owners dont have to buy a license and they are proposing we now may have to . i argue that the land owners do more than the DGIF does here in VA. Links to follow and in subsequent post.                                                                                                                                      Bear, Deer, Turkey License (age 16 and older)
Not required if senior citizen's lifetime license was purchased before July 1, 1988. Not required for holders of Disabled Veterans Lifetime license.  We have to buy Hunting License(18.00) big game turkey bear and deer(18.00) archery tag(18) muzzleloader(18) crossbow(18), nation forest???. Keep inmind bikers and other users dont pay to use national forest

KySongDog

There is not much us guys in other states can do except feel your pain.    :sad:

The economy is/has collapsed and all government agencies are feeling the revenue squeeze.  So they stick it to the taxpayer again.

That is the way of it, it seems.

vayotehowler

not to mention the one article said they are buying up land like crazy. If u broke dont spend money. that is what i do.  Semp a girl at work told me that she heard congress working on a bill that uhave to have them approve building on u property. u or bop know anything bout that , and keep discussing the state fee

vayotehowler

and having watched fall of republci seems like more controlling way tos psy one me and u

Hawks Feather

Since you don't want to discuss differences in license costs it limits what can be discussed.  While I don't like increased costs anywhere, I also have to realize that sometimes they are needed.  Since you are unhappy with how your division of wildlife is operating, have you contacted your state representatives?  I don't know if you have a state representative or state senator (congress is usually reserved for the Federal level, but then again, I really don't know about the Commonwealth of Virginia) but I think you and others that are concerned need to contact them.  I am basing that on the assumption that your division of wildlife is similar to Ohio and that means that things like passage of Sunday hunting, license increases, etc. is passed by the elected officials and not by the division of wildlife.  Here (again I don't know if it is the same there) there are yearly meetings at the regional level about what is being planned for license fees, bag limits (that are set by the state, not Federal migration species), season dates, etc.  I have attended these meetings (again in Ohio) for several years and all comments are listed and shared with the state division of wildlife.  Not everything that is suggested is passed and not everyone is happy with everything, but we have a chance to discuss these issues with the division of wildlife.  We also have the right to contact our state representative and state senator about our concerns.  It also doesn't hurt to know those elected members of the state that support hunters and contact them with your concerns.  I don't know how many land owners there are there that also hunt, but if they are upset and close their land to ALL hunting it will probably get the attention of many people.  The only thing that you need to do is get the members of Virginia organized.

Jerry

vayotehowler

Very sound advice. we do have the house of delegates that everything goes thru on DGIF issues. most people think that sunday hunting was about people not going to church. It was actually passed by vdgif to get the animals a day of rest . Honestly it was in the paper. when i was a kid could hear bobwhite all summer long . havent hear one in years. so if cant protect bob whites????  Good advice u guys got it good in ohio, lots of big deer . here most big deer come from landowner management. will definitely make sure my voice is heard . dgif doesnt plant my land or plow my fields i do???? I guess did kinda limit conversation, but i could c alot of 18.00 i pay 36 for one license...open for discussion..

alscalls

Write letters and make phone calls till yer sick of it....... It works if your persistent.......

I always tell my rep's  If you want more $$ Then show me the results you had from your last increase.....
That usually gets a big DUUUUUUH from them as they have no clue what the results are they simply know the numbers.

When you write your letters use as many public venues as you can...... For Example:  letters to the editor.... Not just your local paper.... hit the ones that lay the paper on the porch of your Representative..... E-mail is your friend in this..... :eyebrow:
Attach local news anchors.... newspaper reporters, all of your representatives.... the mayor, governor, hunt clubs..... anything you can think of to make it as public and as annoying as possible.

Then save it!!!! Thats right save it..... this will be your hard work..... and if you dont hear back soon...... send it again..... :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Hawks Feather

In Ohio, Sunday hunting was passed not because the animals needed a day to go to church   :wink:, but because there were hunters who worked during the day and if they only had Saturday to hunt they would not buy the license.  My cousin who is now in the US Congress was one of several members of the Ohio Senate pushing to get Sunday hunting allowed in Ohio.  By allowing two days to hunt after a "normal" work week, sales of licenses increased.   I bought my first hunting license in 1960 and have had one every year since.  But when Sunday hunting passed I was still working and it did allow me some additional time to hunt.  During the week I was in the building by 7:00 a.m. and usually came home at 5:30 p.m. unless there was something going on at the school and then I just stayed.  Now that I am retired I usually hunt during the week when others are at work.  That way I don't have to worry about anyone waking me from my nap when I am out looking for game.

Jerry