• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

20 Guage for Bear?

Started by studabaka, December 15, 2007, 12:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

I'm trying to decide which slug gun to take. I will have my 300 WM also, but we will be using dogs and tromping through thick brush. I'm wanting to take my 20 guage bolt action cause it is shorter and much lighter than my 12 guage pump. It shoots great and I have dropped a lot of deer with it, but ......

Plus another reason I would like to use the 20 is it was my dad's when he was young. He still holds the record on it with a 190 Lb +/- ten point. He actually cut the stock down on it to fit me when I was starting out..... and it is now the gun of choice for both my kids too. Would be cool to add a bear to it's resume.

I figure the odds of actually having a shot on a bear are 50/50  :shrug: and there will be 3 maybe 4 of us so chances of me doing the shooting are even less plus a day of punching brush would be easier for an old dog like me with a lighter/shorter gun. That said, I would hate to punch brush all day and then have a shot but be too under gunned.

What do ya'll think?

"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

KySongDog

If you are talking about black bear, I think a 20 ga slug will do the job fine.  Sounds like you have a rifled barrel and that is a plus but I would try to keep the shot under 100 yds. 

No first hand shotgun bear knowledge here.  Just my knowing what damage a slug can do. 

Semp

studabaka

Thanks Uncle Semp  :biggrin: yup, they be black bear. He said they got one this past week about 250 lbs. Not sure what the norm is out there. My dad said he saw where a guy up his way [NY] got one around 600 lb with a bow  :shck: I'll be packing an extra pair of clean britches I recon.  :hahaha:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Whens this happening anyway? ....and where ya going?
I've always wanted to try a bear hunt, but ever since that "Beast of the LBL" story, I havent been the same person  :sad:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

:laf:

I'm heading out tomorrow to the eastern part of NC. There are some pretty large areas of very thick cover near the coast.

FinsnFur

Wait until you experience tanning your first bear hide  :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Silencer

Good luck, we have some decent bear killed around here every year, the largest over 500lbs.  I know where
there's one denned up with a tag in its ear, I bet he goes 400 +.
I'll try to get some pictures of him before spring, when I last seen him he was lifting his head and looking at me
but then layin right back down.  When I first came across him it scared the CRAP outta me and the .270 was ready
to rock, then he didnt come charging out and just went back to sleep.  Was a cool experience.

vvarmitr

I wouldn't hesitate to take a 20ga after bear.  :shrug:
That's a lot of lead for a bear to soak up just to eat ya. :huh:  :laf:

Good hunting Stu, take a biggen. :biggrin:

And don't forget the camera!  :nofgr:

Hawks Feather

Stu,

The 20 will take care of the bear, assuming you are within range.  Since you said you will be hunting with dogs range should not be a problem.  That is if the dogs know what they are doing and don't decide that they like to chase better than corral the bear.  Have a good time.

Jerry

trappinjohn

Nothing hits harder than a shotgun slug at close range.  You'll be happy with it.

WhiteHare

This post really caught my eye.   Except my eyes weren't working too good.    :hahaha:   :shrug:

I thought it said  "20 guage for BEER"

I had a couple cases packed up, wrapped, and ready to go to UPS.

Guess "20 guage for BEAR"  does seem more logical.

Have a good hunt and hope you "Get your shot".

Richard
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

FinsnFur

Quote from: WhiteHare on December 16, 2007, 12:45:07 PM
I thought it said  "20 guage for BEER"

I had a couple cases packed up, wrapped, and ready to go to UPS.

LOL!! :roflmao: :roflmao: That would be a pretty good deal :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers