• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

'08 -- hunting moose in Crocs

Started by Okanagan, September 28, 2008, 03:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

test

Frogman

Great story, sound like quite an adventure.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Okanagan

Got photobucket to work so pics added to the story above.

vvarmitr

Sounds like a miserable good time hunting.  :nono:
Thanks for the story & pix!  :biggrin:

iahntr

Sounds like some tuff huntin!
Like you said, some good eatin!
Nice job!
Scott

FinsnFur

The un-cool Florida flats fishing cap? Let me tell ya Okanagan, you are living the life partner :yoyo:
You could wear a Bratz Doll hat and still be looked up to by us.

Awesome write up, can't thank ya enough for the pics and stories. Simply beautiful country you got up there. Nice job on the Moose :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

That Moose is going to eat good! Always enjoy reading your hunt reports and accompanied pictures.  :highclap:

Hawks Feather

Dang that is a good write up on the hunt.  I am sitting here shivering as I read it.  I would have never thought to float a moose rather than dress it close to where it was killed.  Heck, if you would have gutted it prior to floating it would have been not only clean inside, but cool.

Jerry

Okanagan

I'd never floated a moose before.  I have waited till they got all four feet on solid ground to pull the trigger.  We met a local hunter who put us onto that moose spot, which was a miserable place to get one out of unless you floated it.  He told us that if we didn't gut it it would float, and that it was a lot easier to float them to a good place to work on them.  I don't know if it would sink or not if gutted but we didn't try it.  The moose was on sandy lake bottom and his hair filled with sand as we pulled him across the shallows to deeper water.  I think if we'd gutted him we would have gotten a lot of sand in the meat.  I didn't like the delay in gutting but it wasn't any longer wait than a blood trail might cause.

My brother-in-law was watching from up above as we tied onto the moose and started pulling it across the lake to the river outlet.  Little 8 foot inflatable boat with a 4 horse motor.  He said it looked like we were trolling for the Loch Ness monster.  Big bait, big fish.

FinsnFur

Trolling for the lochness monster  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

vvarmitr

Quote from: Okanagan on October 01, 2008, 09:21:20 AM

STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, COME ON YOU SLACKERS PADDLE HARDED IF YA WANT MOOSE STEAK TONIGHT, STOKE, STROKE, STROKE, .............
:roflmao:

Okanagan

This has been fun, kind of milking this thread.  I'm out of here for few days.  Will check in next week.

Okanagan

A further note on the odd bull moose with tiny antlers.  He has produced the most tender and best tasting moose meat I've ever run across.  We've eaten enough of it to know that the first few good pieces weren't luck and that every piece of meat is consistently tender and flavorful.  Even medium quality cuts, like poorer round steak, are tender enough to fry in a pan and still cut easily with a fork, even with steaks over an inch thick.

I'm beginning to think that he was neutered, a natural "steer" that still had all of his genital equipment but it wasn't hooked up or producing for some reason.   That might explain the undeveloped antlers, mild flavor and tender meat. 

FinsnFur

Oh sure, you just had to come back and run that in our faces didnt you?

We were all headed to Cathryns for Thanksgiving, well...everyone except vvarmitr, he got a little translucent with her  :laf:
But I think I know where were heading now.

Oh wait  :doh2: You guys already had Thanksgiving up there didnt you?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

alscalls

We will just barge in for leftovers........... :dance:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 23, 2008, 09:40:39 PM We were all headed to Cathryns for Thanksgiving, well...everyone except vvarmitr, he got a little translucent with her   :laf:
:doh2:  :nono: