• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Help with Speech Therapy 101

Started by FinsnFur, July 13, 2007, 12:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Picked my girls up from the big city tonight, for the weekend, and we kinda got into a speech discussion on the 4 hour trip.

My girls are 10 and 13. The 13 year old starts talking about chicken breast, how she likes it not crispy and what not, and then she says, Dad...how do you like chicken breasts ss?

I started laughing and said how do I like what?

She says again, chicken breasts ss. And clearly with two syllables.

I said why do you say it like that?

She says how am I suppose to say it in a plural form with that "t" in there?

:laf: I start laughing and naturally I had to try it. I mean it sounded fun :eyebrownod: , so I say chicken breasts ss. And  then I say, well not like that but I dont know.

She gives me a dirty look in the rear view mirror and then she says, how bout lightning?

I said what about it?

She says how do you say it's lightning ing outside?

Laughing again   :laf: I said, I just say it's lightning out side.

She says no, that's just the singular form. Tell me that it's lightning ing outside.

So I obliged and said, It's lightning ing ing outside.

She said  I had too many ings  :roflmao:

So now I ask you guys what is the proper way to say it's lightinging outside?  :shrug: :confused: :roflmao: And please say it outloud before you think your right.  :eyebrownod:

And yes were all nuts up here  :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

canine

Damn Jim, I think you'd make a good contestant on that show  :hahaha:"So you think your smarter than a fifth grader" :laf:

JD...Ds

canine

ooops...forgot my answer....lightening... :biggrin:

JD"ning

Bopeye

Lightening
Breasts

It's funny you bring that up though. Different regions will make certain words plural in an improper way.
Around here they will call words like paste will be pronounced pastes es or wasp will be called waspers
I have long since quit trying to correct these mispronunciations..........I found it wasn't worth the effort........ :nono:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

awh

Lightening And Breast. Unless your talking about something other than chicken then it reverts to hooters.  :biggrin:

Used to be here that the kids said everything back words. For example...all two syllable words would have the first letter of each syllable switched. Hillbilly goes to billhilly, Gatorade goes to aatorgade..ect
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Hawks Feather

Lightening
Breasts
I think that there is a grammatical rule for that, but I don't remember it.  Just tell your daughter that it is this way BECAUSE YOUR DAD SAID SO.  It never worked for me, but you might give it a try.    :biggrin:

The one that got me when I was in school were the kids that had gone to the parochial elementary that would say they were combing their hairs.  I have always known that one is a hair and that more than one would be hairs, but I also always had used the term "a head of hair", not "a head of hairs."

Jerry

nailbender

Lightning, With no ' e'.  If you're going to correct the kids you better spell it right! :roflmao:

Hawks Feather

nailbender,

You are absolutely correct.  I had it for making it less heavy rather than the topic.

Jerry

awh

I just hack anything that I spell all to crap. Thankfully Jim put a spell checker on here & WHEN....I remember to use it at least it looks right???LOL
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

FinsnFur

I'm still lost.
If you see a bolt of lightning, you say I saw a bolt of lightning. Which is only one.
But if it is lightning ing outside, how do ya say that? lightning?  :confused: dont seem right
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

awh

I usally say..........

"Get away from the door Cameron" But he still ends up talking me into standing there watching it with him. :shrug:

HaMeR

After having deeply pondered the question. :confused: I believe I've came to a conclusion.

I'm thinking I would just say "bright lights & wet t-shirts". :biggrin:  :eyebrownod: :laf: :laf:

I would say a pair of breasts & lightening probably.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

So if was was raining outside you'd say its rain out side?
Now there's the wet Tshirt  :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nailbender

:confused:  You lost me at the wet t-shirt contest :laf:

FinsnFur

What contest?..........where'd all this come from?  :confused: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Mallardsr

Jim, Im sure John H could set us strait. :roflmao:

FinsnFur

Oh mannnnn wouldnt that be something  :rolleye: :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

HaMeR

QuoteWhat contest?..........where'd all this come from?  :confused: :laf:

Did I mention I pondered the question deeply?? :shrug:

:roflmao: :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

ohiobob

a lot of Lighting outside Hmmmm  :wo: errrrrrrr :wo:Hmmm I just yell,,Honey,, I'll BET $10 you CAN NOT grab that Long steel Pole out of the Barn and run to the top of that Hill WITHOUT falling down  :laf:  Nah I just say: It's Lightening like a MF out there !!!
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

vvarmitr

I use the ox ya moron plural.  For example one ox is ox, more than one are oxen. So for me it is lightnen out.  Of course you wouldn't be wrong in using the the subjective superlative. Ex: Boy, it's sure puttin' down more lightning!

Breasts just happens to be a word that ends in "s" which in most cases to make it plural you would add "es" at the end, breastses, yeahright, you know that's incorrect. Now to make breasts plural & possessive just grab one w/ each hand.  :roflmao: (I kill me!)
To further the point of breasts being singular. Breasts go into a bra not bras.

I hoped this helped ya, Jimbo. ;yes;