• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Swan / Hog hunt

Started by bambam, December 06, 2010, 04:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bambam

My friend Kenny talked me into going on a swan/hog hunt in North Carolina with him. I have always wanted to kill a wild hog but wasn't too interested in killing a swan, but Kenny is a nut so I agreed to go.

We met up Friday morning with some good old boys in south-central N.C. The guy who set up the hunt said we could use a gun but they preferred that we " stick " the hog because of the dogs being so close. I thought he was just joking because he is a big nut too. When we got there and started talking to the guide and his friends, I realized that these guys said what they meant and meant what they said. Then one of them brought out the " stickin" knife.

He explained that once the hog was bayed , they would turn loose the " catch " dogs to "hold " the hog while I stuck it. Now I ain't as young and agile as I used to be but this was starting to sound like a good idea to me. After all, I couldn't let these flatlanders think that a hillbilly was the least bit afraid to stick a pig with a knife.   Once I got a look at the "catch" dog, I decided to leave the gun in the truck cause that pig didn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

We headed into the swamp. The dogs cold-trailed for a long time then the trail got hot. They bayed deep in the swamp. We finally got to them and even though we were only about 20 yards from them , we couldn't see anything. you couldn't see 5 feet into the thicket. The dogs were raising cain and every now and then a hog would squeal. The guide came over and whispered to me, " If it's a sow, we let her go, if it's a boar, I'll grab his hind legs, you come up behind me and stick him behind the front shoulders. " I said " No problem " . We were both serious. Before they could let the "beast" loose, the hogs broke and ran. There was a boar, a sow, and 2 piglets. The boar and sow looked huge to me as they crossed the narrow path. The guide said they were in the 200 pound range.

The chase led us back to within 100 yards of the trucks. They circled and bayed again. As we neared , the piglets flashed across the trail back into the swamp, so we assumed the boar was bayed. We got close and the pit bulls were let loose, but just then the boar broke and ran again. The guide said it was not good because the pit bulls were too slow to catch him. They circled again and the guide handed me a 44 mag and told me to shoot him if I got a clear shot. They passed out of range and went deeper in the swamp so I gave him back the gun. Big mistake.

We all sat down as the guides tracked the dogs on the GPS. I heard them circle again and they started getting closer. I was sitting on the trail with another hunter( not Kenny ) on the other side of the trail, the guides behind me and to my right. I heard the boar coming and tried to warn them. The boar broke out of the swamp and came trotting down the trail toward me. There I sat with a knife and a 200 pound wild peed off hog coming straight at me. I whispered " Here he comes" !! The boar was 10 feet from me when the other hunter saw him and yelled " There he Is " !!! The boar turned and disappeared into the swamp, never to be seen again. If I would have kept the pistol, I could have shot him in the head at 10 feet. Oh well, That's hunting.

Part 2 to come .

KySongDog

Now that sounds exciting!   :jump:  And I love that dog.  ;yes;  The old lady won't let me have a pit bull but I really want one.   :sad3:

FinsnFur

Wow......I think I peed twice when he was coming back through the swamp, but I cant tell if I was freaking on the hog or the dog.  :doh2:

That actually does sound like a lot of fun. Thanks for taking us along. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

That sure does sound like a lot of fun bam!! Thanks for sharing. I eagerly await Pt2.  :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyotehunter_1

:bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:

Myself, I would need a way bigger knife...   :sad3:

and a whole lot of toilet paper !!!   ;yes; :laf:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

slagmaker

Sound like a grand time.

I am pretty sure I would have done a double take when he said ya got to stick the hog.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FOsteology

Nothing gets your blood pumping quite like hawg doggin'   :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

Neat story on your hunt and you have me looking for part 2.  Hog, knife, me - not gonna happen.  Hog, gun, me - sounds like a good time.

Jerry

pitw

So that's what all the knot head stunts with the wife have been about lately :eyebrow:. Practice was a great idea :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:
   Sounded very exciting and may I add,  Stupid :shock2:
   Richard told me tales about that sport last year and I ain't had a hankering to do it since. :nono:  Sounds like some of you enjoy the living{[Q] gotta cheat the filter} of it so enjoy it to the fullest. :yoyo: :yoyo:  Do you eat them once stuck :shrug:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

bambam

We would have  eaten him if I had gotten one. Thinkin seriously about going back next year.

Todd Rahm

Man I would love to do that!  :yoyo:

alscalls

That sounds like a BLAST!!!!!   I wish I were there!!!     Great story!     :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

KySongDog

Quote from: pitw on December 07, 2010, 12:37:18 AM
  Do you eat them once stuck :shrug:.

I bow killed a boar with double neck wattles many years ago down in Tennessee.   It tasted great.  

nastygunz

WILD!!...that catch dog is a clone to my old dog...same blue, white chest..head like a beer keg...bought him as a pup in Georgia...and he was a helluva hog dog...anytime my brother or friends had pigs escape we would get a call..hed nail em right by the ear and hold on like Death..same ear crop too :yoyo:

nastygunz

Here he is at a swap meet in his biker gear :biggrin:

vayotehowler

alot pig stickin in the deep south , we dont have many here in va if any, but deep south pig stickin is a big past time let of couple of pits pin em down and stick, been hearin bout that for years. I have dove with sharks and done a sky dive and those are calculated risks , pig like that has a lot variables I cant control, have to think hard about that one, eagerly awaiting prt 2

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

bambam

Quote from: nastygunz on January 01, 2011, 01:38:33 PM
WILD!!...that catch dog is a clone to my old dog...same blue, white chest..head like a beer keg...bought him as a pup in Georgia...and he was a helluva hog dog...anytime my brother or friends had pigs escape we would get a call..hed nail em right by the ear and hold on like Death..same ear crop too :yoyo:

Wow nastygunz, that dog is a clone to the one I hunted with.  :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: I don't have to tell you I wasn't a bit afraid to hunt behind that dog.  :innocentwhistle: :innocentwhistle: :innocentwhistle:Can't wait to do it again .

nastygunz

He was my best dog ever..passed away when he was 12 and I aint owned a dog since...he loved kids and people and was a big baby with them but he was not other animal friendly at all :wink: