• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

After the ice storm

Started by coyote101, December 09, 2013, 10:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

The ice storm messed up the opening of the second week of the fall firearms turkey season. I couldn't get out to hunt Saturday or Sunday so I gave it a try this morning.

The temps got near or above freezing yesterday and last night and a lot of the ice melted off of the fields. The ice remained in the woods and walking quietly was impossible, so I decided to stick to the edge of a field where I knew the turkeys had been pitching down last week.

I had a particular tree in mind where I was going to set up and wait for the birds to fly down. As I walked along the edge of the woods to get to there, I could see turkeys roosted in the trees right at the edge of the woodline. I had expected them to be a little deeper in the woods. When I got to my spot I could clearly make out two turkeys roosted in the tree I was going to use. (As it turned out. there were actually six) It was about an hour and a half before sunrise and it didn't appear as if I had disturbed the birds so, time to change plans.

A narrow strip of trees approaches to about forty yards, perpendicular to the block of woods where the turkeys were. I crossed that narrow gap and moved another twenty or so yards away from the turkeys along that strip. I set my decoy out a few yards into the field and set up on the ground in some weeds. I was only sixty or seventy yards from the turkeys, but it was still early and they hadn't made any noise, so I thought I might still have a chance. And then I waited.

As it slowly got lighter, I could count at least fifteen turkeys roosted right at the edge of the woods that I had walked along to coming in. I knew if I could see them they would be able to see me, so I tried to move nothing but my eyes.  I sat like that for nearly an hour before the first bird flew down about sixty yards in front of me.

Normally I would call a time or two to get their attention and hope they spotted my decoy, but I didn't want to attract any attention to myself and I knew they couldn't miss my decoy anyway. A couple of minutes later, here they come. There were probably thirty to thirty five of them and they all flew down near the same spot, just a little out of range. And they started to walk farther away.

Then a couple of hens spotted that decoy and just couldn't resist checking it out. They got to about thirty five yards and one of them gave me a clear shot and BANG.......she won the lottery. 

Mossberg 835 strikes again

I was set up just inside those scraggly weeds behind me

This ends my fall firearms turkey season, but I still get to try for one more with the crossbow. 

Normally I just filet the breast out, but I skinned this little hen, stuffed her and cooked her in one of those oven roasting bags. It turned out way better than I expected.

I'm going to take a friend of ours out in the morning and see if we can't get him a shot at one. Wish us luck.

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

You are GOOD at hunting, not just turkeys.  Good read.  Thanks.

slagmaker

Luck.to you both pat.

And congrats on the hunt today. Thanks for taking us along
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

nastygunz

Sigh...longgggggg time till the spring hunt.

possumal

Great story, great pictures. Kudos to you Pat.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

centerfire_223

Great story, I remember when we use to have a fall season. That was 20 years ago, then they done away with it and have never brought it back and we have tons of turkeys.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

gravesco hunter

nice bird and good story congrats,there were only five taken here in graves co sat

Carolina Coyote

Way to go Pat, like Ronnie said down here no Fall hunt and only Toms.  :highclap: cc

HaMeR

Good job once again Pat!! Nice looking bird!! Congratulations & Good Luck!!!!!!!   :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Pat,

Seems you are turning into a turkey magnet.   :holdon:   Being able to sit for over an hour and not move anything but your eyes is an accomplishment.  The only way I can do that is when I am in a recliner and it is called sleeping.  Anyway, nice bird you have there and should be good eating.

Jerry

shaddragger

Quote from: nastygunz on December 09, 2013, 11:13:58 PM
Sigh...longgggggg time till the spring hunt.

Ditto, but way to go Pat!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

KySongDog

Quote from: Hawks Feather on December 10, 2013, 07:57:04 AM
Pat,

Seems you are turning into a turkey magnet.

Way to go, Pat!   :congrats:   Weedwalker is the coyote magnet and you're the turkey magnet.   All you need now is a hat!    ;yes;

kyfuzzyface

WTG Pat Congrats, The weather here has been a little rough also. Maybe I can get out before season closes.
Fuzzy

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!