• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

swan hunt

Started by bambam, December 15, 2013, 04:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bambam

Hello everyone. 3 years ago I was lucky enough to draw a tundra swan permit in North Carolina, and lucky enough to get one. This year, I was lucky enough to draw another tag, and was once again blessed with a swan. Best part of the hunt though, was a great weekend with old friends, some of the nicest people on earth.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

( I'm on the far right of the pic )

nastygunz

That is pretty cool, how do you actually hunt for them?

bambam

Quote from: nastygunz on December 15, 2013, 05:37:24 PM
That is pretty cool, how do you actually hunt for them?

Pretty much like any duck or goose hunt. find a food source, get out early, set up decoys, have someone who is good with a call, and don't forget to lead them.   :nofgr: :nofgr:

They are big, and their size makes it look like they are going much slower than they really are.  :doh2: :doh2:

Hawks Feather

Congratulations and that is a good sized bird.  Doesn't seem like they would be able to fly that fast.  Which probably makes them all that more difficult to hunt.

Jerry

JohnP

Congratulations on drawing the tag and then getting your bird.  We have sandhill cranes out here and we too have to draw a tag.  Terrible tasting bird!  How about the swans - taste good?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

bambam, you look like Joe Namath!

That is cool to be hunting swans.  I remember when they were so rare that folks said our local game warden counted them every day.

Dave

Wow they are big.  Looks to have a 6-1/2 to 7 foot wingspan.
I remember driving through N Carolina's outer banks (I think that's where it was - ~20 yrs ago) and seeing some get shot about 200+ yards away. You could here the thump of them hitting the ground.   Incredible.
Congrats to you, bambam.

bambam

Thanks guys.

John, they are good, taste just like Canada goose.

Okanagan, never been compared to Joe Namath before.  :nono: I don't know why they only let you shoot one. We saw them by the thousands, and they can destroy a wheat field in a short amount of time.  :confused: :confused:

Coulter

Nice one BamBam...we always talk about trying to go after swans in VA when we're there. But I always seem to miss the deadline for the drawing. Are your buddies guides or just some good friends that know how to get after swans?

Steve

FinsnFur

Nice BamBam.  :congrats:
I had Goose jerky......... once  :puke:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com