• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Big fresh spotted shrimp

Started by Okanagan, May 21, 2020, 12:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Grandson Cody showed up at suppertime last evening with a big bag of fresh shrimp, right off the boat, less than 3 hours since alive and on ice ever since. They are huge shrimp.  I’d call them prawns but they are spotted shrimp, orange and white with stripes on the torso.  All but one for show were tails only. We shucked 15 or 20 to taste cook. (A dozen family had happened by and were standing around the yard when Code arrived).  Sautéed them in butter, didn’t overcook.  Zowie good!  Best shrimp I’ve ever tasted, a sweet robust flavor and firm texture, like lobster, maybe better. We will cook the rest this evening for an extended family get together.

Would love to post a pic but very hampered.

Hawks Feather

That sure sounds great.  I love shrimp.

Okanagan

nastygunz

This thread is Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Approved!🍴🍽🍤🍤🍤🍤🍤🍤🍤🍤

JohnP

One of my favorites, sauteed in butter with garlic and onions.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

I love shrimp. I've been afraid of it ever since I had grilled shrimp and steak at Texas road house, and was up all night long squirting out my bunghole hole very 30 minutes with sever stomach cramps. :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Are you afraid of steak too?🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 22, 2020, 11:27:16 PM
I love shrimp. I've been afraid of it ever since I had grilled shrimp and steak at Texas road house, and was up all night long squirting out my bunghole hole very 30 minutes with sever stomach cramps. :doh2:

That would put me off as well.  I sometimes get a bad association with a taste that never goes away.  I used to love Quiznos sub sandwiches, then I got a bad one in the Anchorage airport.  Ever since then my gag reflex says "No," when I consider Quiznos.

We are spoiled. We eat FRESH seafood we have caught and controlled from water to table, or (rarely) from a local pro we trust who bleeds fish and ices everything immediately.  We will order crab or shrimp at a beach restaurant like Mo's at the docks in Newport, OR, otherwise no seafood in restaurants.  It is never as good as our home cooked anyway! My sons and grandsons have worked on commercial  boats.  Some are good, and some let the catch lay on the deck in the sun awhile...

Fresh is huge with seafood, kind of like corn on the cob-- if you've never eaten it within minutes of picking/catching, you don't know what you are missing. Everybody in our family said that our shrimp the other day tasted better right off the boat than it did the next day, even though it was iced and cared for well.  Freezing changes the texture of the meat, and we prefer to eat fresh, unfrozen, though flash freezing is pretty good.

Here I'm nattering and Nasty is the pro in the house.

nastygunz

I was just a simple scalloper not one of them fancy Dan shrimpers  :innocentwhistle: :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Quote from: nastygunz on May 23, 2020, 07:13:02 AM
Are you afraid of steak too?🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

No Nasty..but I'm sure it wasnt the steak :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com