• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

What is this?

Started by Hawks Feather, May 19, 2019, 11:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

So, I have had this for many years and while I know that a .22 shell will fit in the openings and that the two bars will fall and strike the opening,  I have no idea of it's 'real' purpose. There is no rifling in the tube so I can only assume that it is used to fire blanks of some type,  I can't see all of the patent number or the maker - only A?A Detonator.  So, does anyone know more about this?

remrogers

Wonder if it might have been used to light detenation cord with shells instead of lighting the cord. Place .22 blanks in the unit and cord in the other side, leading to the charge to be exploded. Will need to further investigate this. Interesting piece of equipment.

nastygunz

Mole trap...perimeter alarm..booby trap🕵

FinsnFur

Hang it above your door. When an intruder enters, the door opening will trigger it and drive the 22 cal rounds down through the top of his head.
Throw the rug in the trash and clean the floor with bleach  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 20, 2019, 08:22:56 PM
Hang it above your door. When an intruder enters, the door opening will trigger it and drive the 22 cal rounds down through the top of his head.
Throw the rug in the trash and clean the floor with bleach  :biggrin:

This is so clear to me now.  I don't know how I couldn't think of it. 

HaMeR

Jerry,, prolly cause you come from a time where the rug woulda been cleaned & the holes sewn shut & re-used. Just my guess.  :wink: :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Quote from: HaMeR on May 25, 2019, 02:06:54 PM
Jerry,, prolly cause you come from a time where the rug woulda been cleaned & the holes sewn shut & re-used. Just my guess.  :wink: :wink:

:biggrin:

nastygunz

I put some serious research time into that object and I could not find anything about it  :argh: :shrug:

Hawks Feather

That makes me feel better since I have done the same thing.

nastygunz

Does it actually function?

Hawks Feather

If I had a .22 blank I would give it a try, but I don't plan to fire any loaded rounds from it.

pitw

Try one with just the primer maybe. :wo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

I have gone to an expert !

"Thank you for your inquiry.
We will need good quality .jpeg images and notes on any markings, caliber, barrel length, etc.
Right now - there are a dozen folks ahead of you on the list from other inquiries received over the long weekend.

Doug Wicklund
Senior Curator, National Firearms Museum 
NRA Museums
T (703) 267-1602
E Dwicklund@nrahq.org "

nastygunz

I will keep you posted on any feedback from Doug. Thing might be worth some big bucks to a collector 💰💰💰💰💰💰

Hawks Feather

Quote from: nastygunz on May 28, 2019, 02:03:50 PM
I will keep you posted on any feedback from Doug. Thing might be worth some big bucks to a collector 💰💰💰💰💰💰

Thanks and as for big bucks it won't happen.  That is because I own it.  :biggrin:

nastygunz

"Haven't run into anything like this one.  Reminds me of the explosive detonators used in mines. May have just been for blanks.

Doug Wicklund
Senior Curator, National Firearms Museum 
NRA Museums
T (703) 267-1602
E Dwicklund@nrahq.org"

Hawks Feather

Looks like a 'stump the expert' type of thing.  Thanks for checking.