• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

three weeks three new personal bests

Started by bigben, August 06, 2011, 11:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

the last three weeks we have been out catfishin atleast one night during the weekend.  three weeks ago I posted about the 16lbr my brothers girlfriend caught.  last weekend I took my cousin and his wife and he ended up landing a 11.5lb spawned out channel.  if it was full and healthy I bet he woulda went 14lbs.  Then last night I took my father and a family friend out and dad caught a new PB 18lb flathead.  the bite was off last night compared to the past few times out but we ended up with constant action except for the last hour.  had a few guys that were a bit inconsiderate traveling a little close while we were anchored.  considering we had plenty of room for them to go around and no obstacles.  oh well ya got them types

we caught all three of these fish on points that lead from deep water to shallower water. 

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

nastygunz

bigben

yeah we have been keeping some "eaters" lately.  an eater is any fish below 7lb.  typically the 3-5lbr are perfect.  when I catch em I rip a gill out on each side.  this bleeds em and gets the fillets almost bone white.  then I throw ice on em on the way home.  helps in filleting them.  I don't typically keep flatheads because I don't catch as many.  and if I keep em they can't grow.  im not a die hard CPR fan but on fish over 10lbs typically live to see another day.  I prob won't keep too many more now since I already have enough fillets in the freezer for the fish frys I have scheduled.  sometimes I will keep a flathead and strip the back straps out and the belly meat on em.  definately a better tasting fish then the channels. 

FinsnFur

Some nice catches :wink:
We always fish the shallows at night up here for when were fishing for cats. Using chubs and it produces fish well over the 10lb mark.
Cut bait and stink bait in the deeper holes next to feeder creeks during the day produces the fiddlers and decent eaters.
Cat fishing is always fun. :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

try using whole live bluegills in the 3-5" range. 

Hidehunter

Awesome Catches...Looks like you guys have been having a blast.  We use bluegills but some of the best bait is about a 7 or 8" Goldfish or coy fish.  Sometimes we can get them pretty cheap at pet stores.  My biggest cat was 48" and 48 lbs.
Denver                                           

bigben

if we could legally use goldfish I would.  even using carp live is illegal. 

Hidehunter

That sux its illegal.  Me and my brother are actually in a catfishing movie called Muddy Bottom Monsters.  If you get a chance check it out.
Denver                                           

5 SHOTS

I would have to check to be sure, but I think using ANY fish is illegal here. We can use minnows and chubs, ( big minnows ). We can use any cut bait, except game fish. Up here a live frog is the best catfish bait there is.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

bigben

a friend and I went to a new area that we both never fished before and got on some decent fish.  ended up with about 20 fish between the both of us but at the third stop we found the hole.  we pulled multiple smaller fish out of and then my friend stuck a 17lbr.  this wasn't his PB but the next rod that went down was a 21lb flathead.  I worked him in and didn't know how big he was till he got right on the surface.  in all it was a good night for a few hours of fishing. 

shaddragger

Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

bigben

thanks shaddragger.  this area looks like good water.  it was new for both me and the other fella in the boat.  to be able to get on a location and catch a little above average fish got me stoked to hit it some more.  the average flat in this river is 10lbs with the biggest I heard that was verified around 40-42lbs.  my goal this year was to catch a 20lbr.  this one was even more sweeter because I was driving the boat that night and picked the location without the help of the other fella which is who showed me how to catfish pretty much.  really makes my day.  the big fish season is only just getting started.  maybe we might end up with a 30lbr next time.  its what keeps me going out after em.

Tikaani

Nice cat fish Ben, always nice to find the spot yourself that brings in the fish especially the big one.  :yoyo:

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Okanagan

Man, wish you would take me fishing! WTG!

FinsnFur

Quote from: bigben on August 09, 2011, 09:10:01 AM
try using whole live bluegills in the 3-5" range.

:nono: I enjoy fishing too much and thats illegal here.   :readthis:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

I was thinking about using some of those green carp things you call bass jim but decided against it.  my number one baits are green sunfish, rock bass, longear sunfish in that order.  gonna get me some bullheads this weekend to try for saturday night.  live frisky baits get hit harder and better then half dead pond bluegills. 

FinsnFur

Yeah we can and have used Bullheads.
Bass is illegal here too, any game fish.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers