• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Carry Gun ideas?

Started by Todd Rahm, December 20, 2012, 09:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Rahm

Well fellas in light of recent events, I have decided to do my part and carry full time. Up until now the only hand guns I carried for the most part were in the woods to protect me from bears.  :biggrin:

I have been looking but I'm open to suggestions, but I have been looking at the Glock 36 or a Kimber 1911. Like I said not alot of experience, but a lot of my friends carry either a Glock of some type or a 1911 of some type. Most Glocks to me feel like I'm holding a 2x4 in my hands, hence the reason I like the single stack 36, Its ok, but feels better in my hand then most. I'm not to excited about the only safety on the thing being part of the trigger though.

Not really familiar with 1911's, but I went to a couple of guns stores in the last week and man, those kimbers sure feels nice in the hand to me? Any thoughts?

Also looking to get a hamerless 5 shot, 38, Smith and Wesson for the wife. Just haven't narrowed it down to one of the ton they have.  :innocentwhistle:

She gave me the green light so I'm a spending!!!!!  :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Dont let the double action safety deter your decision. Actually my personal opinion is that it should attract you.
I had the same concerns with my Keltech and Semp brought some thing to light for me by pointing out the reason for the long hard trigger pull, etc.
The gun cannot go off until you pull the trigger, and in the heat of the moment, you'll be jittery, nervous, and hopefully NOT quick to overreact. But in the case that you are, the double action trigger is going to make sure your ready for what is about to happen. There's no nervous bumping or twitching misfire here. And no manual safety to fumble with when your or a loved ones life is at stake.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Todd,

I'm a Glock fan, and own a couple of them, although both are .40 caliber. I carried a Glock 27 for a couple of years at work. I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock, if you feel comfortable with it. The 1911 is a great pistol, and just feels naturally better in my hand than probably any other handgun. It is more complex to operate due to the single action, cocked and locked thing and may require a bit more initial training. I also like the S&W M&P series, and the changeable backstrap gives you some grip size options. I have never shot one, but I know a lot of folks that like the Springfield XD. It would be great if you could get your hands on a few different pistols and actually shoot them before you make a decision.

Whichever handgun you decide on, spend the money for a good belt and holster. Carrying a full size pistol for hours at a time can be very uncomfortable and gets old quick. Having that pistol properly supported makes all the difference in the world.

As for the small revolver, I highly recommend the S&W 642. It is small, lightweight, easily carried, and almost foolproof. Drawbacks are, it has a short sight radius and recoils rather sharply with +p loads.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bigben

I carry a taurus 738. My brother has a lc9 from ruger. I am thinking about getting a small revolver soon.  My cousin has a xdm in 40 and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Same with my cousins glock in .45 acp. My .380 fits in my pants pocket and isn't noticable. Um not a big fan of big pistols for carry.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

yotefever

My son got a Kahr CW9. It is a single stack and easy to conceal. It stays on target better then my P89 Ruger I used to have, very little recoil even with the +p loads. Fleet Farm had good prices on them.
http://www.whitcombministries.org/
http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"My Jeep won a war...Your Honda mows my yard !"

nastygunz

I carry this little beauty all the time...so easy to stick in a pocket holster...I learned a long time ago its ok to sacrifice some power and rounds in a bigger gun that is a pia to carry all the time for something a lot smaller that you carry ALL the time.

nastygunz

And of course Leroy Jethro Gibbs, NCIS Special Agent Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife.  :yoyo:

I usually carry my Kukri in a neck sheath  :innocentwhistle::

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/39LGKI/GURKHA_KUKRI_PLUS.aspx

These are pretty slick with laser included, the S&W Bodyguard:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757893_-1_757767_757751_image

HaMeR

When I get the funds I'll get a Ruger SR40C. That should bode well in many instances. Enough power & easy to conceal. It fits my hand very nicely as well. The Glocks are too thick for my scrawny hands also. I don't want a safety on mine either but the SR40C has one.

Hit up WldWldWest on here. I've had several conversations with him about this & I can tell you he is VERY serious about his handguns & his carry holsters & methods.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

weedwalker

I like my lil Ruger LC9 for everyday carry. I keep it in a belt slide pancake holster with my shirt over it and I can't even tell it's there. I've got bigger guns, but they get uncomfortable after a few days and I quit carrying them. My LC9 is a single stack 6+1. I'm not expecting a prolonged gun fight so that should do me.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Todd Rahm

Held a lot of guns today. I really like the feel of the following pistols.

Kimber-I can't say anything bad about this pistol. The one I really liked had a laser grip already on it.

Springfield XD 40- Another fit like a glove pistol (plus I got a buddy who said he would give me a 1000 rounds if I went with the 40)

Sig Scorpion-Heavier them the others but in a way that made it feel great and balanced in the hand.

Gunz that looks a lot lime what the wife will be getting!

Hawks Feather

Todd,

Don't you already have the .454?  That should work pretty well for a carry gun.    :biggrin:

The main thing is to carry something that you know you will be able to hit what you are aiming at.  To me a person can go to a light frame and not be able to handle the recoil or too heavy of a frame and not really want to carry it most of the time.  The "one size fits all" is something that just doesn't work when it comes to this topic.

Jerry

KySongDog

Quote from: yotefever on December 20, 2012, 05:01:01 PM
My son got a Kahr CW9. It is a single stack and easy to conceal. It stays on target better then my P89 Ruger I used to have, very little recoil even with the +p loads. Fleet Farm had good prices on them.

I picked up a Kahr CW9 after reading some very good reviews about it.  7+1 capacity and the trigger pull is much nicer than the Keltec PF9 I had.  Plus it is made in the USA.   

FinsnFur

When I got mine, I looked for something that was as comfortable as possible while jammed into my pants before I looked for something cool or nice and comfy to pose with in my hand.
There's nothing pleasant about sticking 2lb's of steel into your shorts and walking around with it for the rest of your life but the guns going to spend more time there then it will in the clutches of your hand....if your lucky.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Todd Rahm

Well another day of handling a lot of guns, even had the wife in there getting fitted for a S&W 38  :biggrin:

Leaning hard towards the XD 40, based mostly on cost and the fact that my buddy said he'll give me a thousand rounds of personal protection rounds. I'm guessing for the gun a good holster and a couple extra mags... Right at $800.

This one comes with a long mag and short mag for conceal, this pic shows the long. I would prefer the xdm but the don't make one in this size configuration.

Of I had the cash (rephrased to say if the wife would let me use it) I would get the Kimber hands down. She did tell me I could start with this one then get the Kimber at a later day.  :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Springfield Armory USA made in Croatia  :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

HaMeR

I really like the XD40's too. They are just a little bigger than the Ruger I looked at. The XD felt real good in the hand but not great. The Ruger just seemed to fit with a great feel.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Frogman

Todd,

You will need more than one. 

One for cold weather carry.  It can be bigger since it's easier to conceal under all those clothes and you also want it to be powerful enough to penetrate the bad guys heavy clothing too.  .45 or .357.

One for warm weather carry.  This one can be smaller, easier to conceal under a t-shirt.  .38 or 9mm.

Then you will need one for deep carry and backup.  .380 or .38

It's also nice to have a really nice 1911 for when you are out with the other gun guys so you can impress them.

Such a difficult choice.  So why not one of each so you have all the bases covered.  The wife will understand??

Honestly though (seriously) I started out with the 1911.  It soon got left at the house a lot.  Just too heavy.

The gun I find myself carrying the most now is the Kel-Tec P-11 with belt clip.  I just tuck it over my trouser waist band and under the belt at the 3 o'clock position.  It's a great compromise.  Small enough to conceal and powerful enough with 11 rounds of 9mm. 

I suggest you try one of each!?!?     

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Todd Rahm

Thanks fellas for on the good info!!

Jim, I think that is what I was planning on doing! I told the wife the Kimber could be my dress up gun.  :biggrin:

I'll check out the lil 9mm.

Roundman

I had an XD and liked it a lot. I put around 1000 rounds through the gun before selling it. I bought, sold, and traded for a good number of handguns trying to find the best carry gun for me and the wife.

The wife loved her S&W 642 until she shot the Glock 26. The sights are just a little easier for her to see. She carries the Glock every day now.

I might get beat down for saying this but the 1911's were the worst for me. They jammed a fair number of times and were very heavy. Maybe with the right holster the feel of the 1911 might get better. With the gun fully loaded it about pulled my pants down. Not for sure I would carry one just because of the weight.

Take a look at the M&P line too, great trigger and the grip feels better than the Glocks.