• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

First gobbler

Started by coyote101, April 20, 2011, 02:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I've never been a turkey hunter, but Semp inspired me last year during the fall season. I shot my first wild turkey, a hen, in December and have been anxiously awaiting spring season this year to try to call a gobbler.

I hunted Saturday and early on had three hens come within ten yards. Later I saw several gobblers with hens, but I couldn't get them to leave the hens.

Sunday morning I sat in my blind till about 8:00 without any luck, so I decided to move around some to see if I could locate anything. I left my jake decoy set up about fifteen yards in front of the blind and headed out. I moved around for an hour or so and saw some turkeys out in the corn fields, but they were several hundred yards away and never came close. I decided to return to the blind and headed back that way.

When I got about ninety yards from the blind, I saw three gobblers strutting and carrying on in the field where I decoy was. I dropped down behind a fallen tree and tried to call them, but frankly, I didn't have a clue what I was doing, and I over called them. We made noises back and forth at one another for a minute or two and then they just walked off into the woods in the other direction. It was dissapointing but fun all the same.

Of course you know what I found when I got to my blind. That's right, those gobblers had stomped the crap out of my jake decoy!  :argh: :argh: The two piece plastic stake that held him up was broken off at the ground and also in the middle where the pieces joined. He was laying on the ground with mud on his head and I was standing there with mud on my face. If I had just stayed in the blind a little longer the gobblers would have come to me, no calling necessary.  :madd: :madd: No luck the rest of the day.

I was out of town Monday and Tuesday, so no hunting, but I was anxious to get back at it this morning.
I called a former co-worker last night to see if he wanted to go and give me some tips.

We headed out early and were set up in the blind with the decoys out before the sun came up. We heard gobbling from a couple of locations as we were walking in and I felt pretty good about my chances. As it got lighter the gobbling really picked up and we could hear five or six different turkeys sounding off. The nearest one was behind us across a small river that was about ten yards to our rear. My friend was doing the calling and all I had to do was watch and wait.

About 6:50 a gobbler came through the brush about eight yards to the right of the blind. When he got to the edge of the field he spotted my friends Pretty boy decoy and ran right to it. The field was muddy after last night's storm and we had set the decoys really close. I shot the turkey at six yards and nearly took his head off. At that range the pattern is pretty small and I'm just glad I didn't miss.  :whew: :whew: He flopped around a few times and then was still.   

I don't know if it was the same turkey from across the river, or if another one had slipped in through the woods and don't really care. It was a good morning and I got my first called gobbler. I didn't call it in, but that doesn't matter to me, I'm still thankful for a great morning hunt. Besides, I'll be back out there tomorrow trying again.

My first called gobbler. Nineteen pounds. four ounces.... 

beard nine inches....

and spurs 15/16 inches each.

My gobbler is laying in the grass to the left side of the picture. He didn't like that Pretty boy decoy.

It won't win the biggest bird contest, but I'll never forget getting it. Another great day to be hunting.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Bills Custom Calls

Congrats Pat The first is always the best  :yoyo: :yoyo:

May not be the biggest but you can sure enter it in the nicest pic contest

Good luck tomorrow
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

KySongDog

That is a great story, Pat!!    :highclap:

You are hooked for sure now.   :eyebrownod:    It only gets better.   :readthis:

FinsnFur

Congratulations Pat! :yoyo: A day well spent :congrats:
19 pounds aint no Cornish Hen.  :nono:

Oh and I love the FnF Sign :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bambam

Hawks Feather

Pat,

Congratulations on the turkey.  Your description of your hunt was great and walking out with a bird is even better.

Jerry

nastygunz

Cant beat that for a good time  :yoyo:

HuntnCarve

Congrats on a fine gobbler Pat!  Looks like Semp got you hooked.  Hunting those longbeards is pretty addictive.

Dave

HaMeR

Congratulations Pat!!!! Great story!! I was there the whole time!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  Well except when you went for a walk about. Remember I asked if you had your phone turned on & you said "I don't need no steenking phone!!"  Next time leave the shotgun with me will ya??!!  :laf: :laf:

Congratulations on a fine bird. You done good & should be very proud of that one.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

markTNhunter

:highclap: congradulations on your first gobbler id say you have the fever for sure now nice bird great story!

shaddragger

:highclap: Wow Pat, that has got to be one of the best first time sories i have ever heard! Lots of my hunts still go that way. Congratulations on your first gobbler, and 9 inches is more than lots of people ever score. Welcome to the brotherhood of the Crazed!!

Seriously, you've got to enter the Best Photo contest. That sign alone is worth first prize!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

iahntr

Very cool Pat ! Congratulations !!  :highclap:
Scott

WldWldWest

Congratulations Pat! Great story! When you said you left the Jake decoy out I knew where it was going! :biggrin: I would say your hooked now!

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

linemansteve

Way to go  PAT  great story and pic's glad to see you get your first tom.  :congrats: Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

shaddragger

Quote from: shaddragger on April 20, 2011, 09:01:22 PM
Seriously, you've got to enter the Best Photo contest. That sign alone is worth first prize!

:readthis: I say again!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

weedwalker

WAY TO GO PAT !!! :congrats: :congrats: Congrats on your 1st gobbler. Great story. :yoyo:

nailbender

Congrats on your first bird!

coyote101

Thanks for the comments guys. I tried again yesterday with no luck. I'll be back at it again as soon as the weather allows and keep at it until I get another one or the season ends.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

possumal

Great story and nice gobbler, Pat.  Hope you get an even bigger one next time.  If you run into any big gobblers who are "Henned up", don't give up on them, as they have a habit of slipping back later where they heard that sweet hen yelping to them.  Patience pays off.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Frogman

WTG, Pat!!  Great story and pictures!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!