• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Mt. Katahdin, Maine.

Started by nastygunz, August 20, 2020, 05:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

Beautiful area.  With bad knees I never really did much climbing, but I have put a dent in the lobster population on the coast.

Okanagan

Really enjoyed seeing that mountain.  I didn't know that Maine had any elevations above timberline.

nastygunz

Mount Katahdin is the highest mountain in the U.S. state of Maine at 5,269 feet. Named Katahdin by the Penobscot Native Americans, which means "The Greatest Mountain", it is located within Northeast Piscataquis, Piscataquis County, and is the centerpiece of Baxter State Park.

Of course we all know NH has the baddest mountain on the planet!

"Mount Washington, called Agiocochook by some Native American tribes, is the highest peak in the Northeastern United States at 6,288.2 ft (1,916.6 m) and the most topographically prominent mountain east of the Mississippi River..
The mountain is notorious for its erratic weather. On the afternoon of April 12, 1934, the Mount Washington Observatory recorded a windspeed of 231 miles per hour.
Mount Washington still holds the record for highest measured wind speed not associated with a tornado or tropical cyclone.