• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Texas Town Permits Shooting of Roaming Dogs

Started by slagmaker, December 25, 2008, 08:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slagmaker

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,472985,00.html

FERRIS, Texas —  A new policy that allows authorities in a rural North Texas town to shoot wild, roaming dogs has riled animal welfare advocates.

The policy, which permits authorities in Ferris to use shotguns to kill aggressive dogs running loose, was implemented last week to curb the town's growing population of feral dogs.

About 50 to 100 feral dogs roam the streets here, said Misty Clark, the lone animal control officer in this rural town of about 2,300 residents.

City Manager David Chavez said Ferris, which is about 20 miles south of Dallas, had become an unwanted pet dumping ground where the released animals breed, form packs and scavenge for food.

Police Chief Frank Mooney said the town had tried other methods with little success.

"It's not a task anybody relishes down here," he said. "You have to take care of the situation now or wait until someone's dead."

Mooney said police would shoot only potentially violent dogs after attempts to capture them had failed.

Animal rights advocates said the problem could be solved in better ways, such as trapping the animals or encouraging punishment for those who dump dogs.

"It seems like a cruel punishment to the animal when the blame is on people," said Sherwin Daryani, the executive director of Operation Kindness.

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

I wonder what they are calling a feral dog and if they all really are.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Thats a food question Jim. What exectally are tehy calling feral?

Hate to do this but I agree with the animal rights people on one point. Make it tougher on the people who dump animals. Thats a huge problem around here and down at my dads area.

KySongDog

The problem is two fold.  One, the people who dump the dogs. And, two, the dogs that are dumped.

The town has to take care of both problems. 

Feral cats and dogs without collars = target practice where I live. 

weedwalker

People are constantly dumping dogs at my brothers place. But on the bright side, we get to do a lot of ballistic testing done there. :biggrin:

slagmaker

I have shot several dumped dogs at my dads. Its a shame to. Some of them have been really nice looking dogs but after a very short time living on there own they go wild and can become dangerous. If the local humain society catchs or hears about you shooting them they go balistic and start threatening fines and such. SO shoot, keep quiet and come back after a bit. Sometimes you get a yote there scavaging.

vvarmitr

Man, I love Texan thinking!  ;yes;

Couldn't tell ya how many feral dogs I've shot.  I hate those things!  :argh:

cathryn

if it aint got a collar, theyre considered feral the way alot of people see it.

if you care about your dog, how much effort is really required to put a collar on it and keep it from getting shot. OR better yet, why not tie it up if its infringing on someone elses enjoyment to their property?

our neighbors have a loud mouthed dog id love to shoot.