• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Scent shots with slingshot

Started by Okanagan, October 24, 2019, 08:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

In my recent ascent to tree stand hunting, I have made use of a slingshot.  No matter that I filled my only deer tag before any of this worked.  The theory is all the more valid because it did not fail.  :yoyo: :huh:

I wanted attraction scent out where I wanted a deer to pose for me to shoot him, and my goal was to place the scent there without walking out to it and leaving my scent.

Using clean new cotton flannel cloth, I picked up some roundish pebbles and using string and scissors, formed a cloth bag or cover over each pebble.  I did this on a clean paper towel surface while wearing latex gloves to hide my man scent.  I put the cloth covered pebbles in a  new Ziploc bag, added a squirt of doe in heat urine to each pebble and took the sealed bag up into my tree stand.  From there I could don fresh latex gloves and with my slingshot, shoot the scent ball pebbles out to where I wanted them.

For ground stands when calling, I shoot a scent pebble each direction cross wind from me.  The intent of this is to have any animal circling downwind me from either side to hit the doe scent before it comes to my downwind scent stream. 

In addition, since bait is legal in WA State,  along with some windfall apples I threw out like baseballs, I picked up a bag of fruit flavored gumdrops at the Dollar Store and shot those out into my target area.  Doggone, since my tag is gone, I have not been back to see how deer responded to my apples and gumdrops.  Maybe someone in a multi-deer tag area can continue this valuable research.

nastygunz

Excellent IDea! I also use a slingshot to chum when I'm fishing with corn and bread balls 🐟🐟🐟🐟

pitw

Interesting concept.  I've never used any scents like that but could see it being a great plan.
I say what I think not think what I say.

riverboss

Always thought about doing this but never came up with a projectile. 
Have used a sling shot alot duck hunting on the mighty Ohio to jump ducks that landed wide and drifted down, it works pretty good they would usually jump and fly right into the decoys.

Sent from my Vivo XI using Tapatalk