• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Fishing and taking pics

Started by FinsnFur, June 12, 2010, 09:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

We didn't get much for fish so I'll post these here.
We figured we'd be dodging storms all day but it was actually pretty nice...nice and friggin HOT and humid. :doh2:

First catch of the day :doh2: go figure

Then we stumbled on this thing off the main channel. I'm wondering if they used to pull barges against the shore dock with it or something.

Found this bad boy perched up on a small embankment. I doubt he flew there. Someone must have perched up there to feed the coons.  Alligator Gar, man these things are a chore to get unhooked. :rolleye:

Then Daddy tied into this hog. 9 times of of 10 I can tell if it's a pike seconds after the hit. The way it feels, the way it swims etc. This thing gave me no signs it was a pike, and I thought I had the bass of a life time. Man I was stoked until it finally surfaced.

Washed up clam full of zebra mussels.

Kids  :nono:

Adults  :eyebrownod:

Lounging around

This was actually a pretty cool deal when we walked up on it. Every one of those ducklings was upside down in the water feeding, wagging there lil butts,  while Mom sat facing them watching over them.
I couldnt get much closer, they was starting to bail on me.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Good pics Mr. Jim.  I never knew alligators lived that far north.   :biggrin:   I don't know about taking a hook out.  I think I would just cut the line.

Jerry

pitw

Thanks Jim  :bowingsmilie:.  Never saw a fish like that and I second Jerry's cut the line trick.  The winch would be for guys like me fishing  :biggrin:.  That clam would have kept me and Donny entertained for hours. :wink:
I say what I think not think what I say.

centerfire_223

The gar fish is called a long nose gar. They get up to about 5-6 feet long and about 40 lbs max in weight. There is a Alligator gar, now he is the mac daddy. They will reach lengths of 8' and weigh in at a whopping 300 lbs. We shoot the long nose gar all the time here in SC.

Come on down and I will hook you up in some.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

pitw

Quote from: centerfire_223 on June 13, 2010, 05:57:03 AM
They will reach lengths of 8' and weigh in at a whopping 300 lbs.

Man I'd sure like to see someone sticking their thumb in one of them for a hero pic :laf: :laf:.

Quote from: centerfire_223 on June 13, 2010, 05:57:03 AM
Come on down and I will hook you up in some.

I take it you want to know how to cut a line  :biggrin:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

Looks like a fun day...... 

Getting those gar out of a cast net aint no fun either...... :sad:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

We have a small gar here in our local river. The biggest I've seen were 30" or so. My Brother used to shoot them with a bow.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:  Tough buggers to hit cause they are so skinny. Neat pics you got there Jim. Thanks for sharing.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Jimmie in Ky

CB is correct, that is hte long nose gar. There are several species of gar. Short nose and Bottle nose are among the smaller ones, if you can call getting up to 30 or so pounds smaller for the large specimens. The alligator gar is definately the mac daddy of the bunch. Ten to twelve foot with weights sometimes reaching 300 or so. 13 footers very rare but do happen on occasion. The alligator gar is endangered due to its nesting habitat disapearing, not to mention all the new locks and dams going in on the rivers. They can be the most entertaining thing in the water on a very hot july day in the oxbow lakes down here. They enjoy sunning out over the deeper holes where the catfishermen ply their trade. They can cause women to squeal and men cuss a blue streak doing so  :biggrin:

They can be caught with a simple nylon rope lure. Their teeth tangle in it. They can also be pissed off with spinnerbaits :eyebrownod: Jimmie

Tikaani

Nice pictures Jim, looks like you had a good day.   As for your catch, a pike is better than a skunk.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Hidehunter

In my opinion that pike is better than a bass anyday.   :yoyo:
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

Better eating thats for sure...but much too easy to come by. A bass that size woulda been a trophy :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Jeb

3rd pic down , is that your handy work with the spray paint ?  haha.......good pics bud.
                                        Jeb

FinsnFur

:alscalls:  Yea, I dropped my lens cover, and when I bent down to pick it up, there laid a can of white spray paint...so I thought what the heck. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

cb223

Quote from: Jeb on June 14, 2010, 07:10:17 PM
3rd pic down , is that your handy work with the spray paint ?  haha.......good pics bud.
                                        Jeb

I didn't see that, had to go back and take another look.
CHAD