• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Lathe Tools

Started by BryanStanley, February 07, 2007, 07:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryanStanley

CB223
those alloys are mainly used for hotstamp form tools. Your right s-7 is a tool steal and p20 is nothing compared to the stuff I cut. To give you and idea. The dievar is relativly new material  holds up very well under extreme heat. Very few places can cut it like we do and get away with it. The company that created this material come to use for machining issues. Plus it is very expensive. A block that is 22x20x16 runs about 20 grand.

Bryan

cb223

Bryan,

If you don't mind me asking where are you from and where do you work?
CHAD

BryanStanley

I am from Michigan.  Currently I work at a magna facility ding NC machining and inspection

cb223

I knew you were from MI, I have seen you on Michigan predator hunting. Just crurious I'm from Zeeland, MI.

What kind of tooling is needed to cut that stuff? Newest latest and greatest inserted cutters or just carbide end mills?
CHAD

BryanStanley

To cut dievar you need a very good tooler. We use diejet inserts, with SKS tool holders. Dapra cutting tools and a few mit's as well. Only time we use solid carbide is when we run small tools 3/8 and under for contour remachineing

cb223

Very cool sounds like you have a very interesting job!

By the way I like your lathe tools. Awesome idea!
CHAD

BryanStanley

You need one.
I would love to get off this 7 days with 5 of the mbeing 11 hours. Getting old quick. I got some turning to do. Have not had a day off since the 1rst of the year. even worked between xmas and newyears too.

cb223

I might need one, how much do you get for them?

I hear you all the hours get old, but that is life in a tool shop!!!

When I was in highschool just getting started in tool & die all I heard was tool makers get paid big bucks!

What I didn't get told is how many hours I had put in get those big bucks!  11 or 12 hour days are fairly common.

On the bright side as long as I stay where I'm at I will never work 7 days a week. The owners will NEVER have anyone working on Sunday. I might put 7 days into 6 but I will never be there during that 24 hour period on Sunday.
CHAD

Bopeye

My dad has had a lathe for at least 20 years and I've never even attempted to turn anything on it. You guys are starting to swing me to the dark side...........I'm afraid that if I make the leap to trying to make calls that I will be lost in coyotedome forever...... :biggrin:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

Its gotta be better then where your lost at now Bop...it's gotta be.  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

^^^^ :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Sorry Bop, maybe I shouldn't encourage him? :laf:

Bopeye

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 10, 2007, 03:08:37 PM
Its gotta be better then where your lost at now Bop...it's gotta be.  :wink:

The only thing I'm lost in right now is the recesses of my mind and a box of Little Debbie cakes.......  :laf:

Don't encourage him vvarmitr.......he's dang near impossible now.... :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

kiyitec

I spend my midnites boring hub holes in wheels with an accu turn.  I was looking for A way to use those cutters on my lathe.  Ended up with A parlec arm that I am bolting on A handle.  Your way looks alot easier.   -KT
"DESIGNATED SITUATIONAL CALLER"
  Contact me for information on how to become one today, and see how easy it is to save money on guns & ammo.  List of references available upon request.

bigben

we do it all some tool steel.  but I think the nastiest stuff is inconell.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

BryanStanley

What ever happend to the good ole days of cutting regualr material. Now there are super steels and exotics aand some I can't even spell.

bigben

I know it seems to spoil some.  you get a better finish with a harder material.  but hand em a piece of 1018 cold roll and try to get a decent finish.  alot of our commercial jobs that are not for our main supplier are cold roll but even then it is 4140.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.