• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

The LBL has been closed

Started by George Ackley, February 02, 2009, 07:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Ackley

Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

possumal

Hi George. Where did you hear about this happening?
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Jimmie in Ky

I am sorry we did not get to meet George, I truly am. As far as I know at this time the only thing clear yet is the trace. It is a north south road that goes all the way through the LBL.  I will get pics of the area as soon as I can. I have never seen anything like this in my fifty years. I have seen some bad ones but this one takes the cake. Jimmie

possumal

Yeah Jimmie, Chuck Mattingly and my grandson, Josh, have been down there in the area working, and they reported back that you have to see it to believe it.  Sorry you guys had all that trouble, but glad you are o.k..
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

bigben

I can tell ya this much the lbl will be awefully thick come next winter.  all the bigger trees knocked down make a lot more habitat. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

George Ackley

for some reason I couldn't log on to fin&fur for a couple days now, then I seen the link from frogman on another sight and it took me to the home page where I could log on.. so sorry I am late in replying .
but I was looking foreword to meet everyone also . maybe next year , I didn't find out it was canceled to the day before we were leaving .

its on my list for next year as a must do
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

Jimmie in Ky

They just gave out some pics to the local news today. If any of yo0u can remember where Jenny Ridge picnic area was, it aint!! One of the roads they showed looked like 112 which several of us know by heart is blocked still with a tree that I am not sure one of my larger saws could go through with one cut.

We are going to be lucky if we can see a coyote in the areas they prefer next  year at all.

They gave a reopen date of April first if possible. Jimmie

LBLDOG

one thing is bad is Im wanting to turkey scout for the upcoming Quota hunt I put in for the11th -12th of April. The thing is it doesnt give much time for that!

KySongDog

Is LBL closed to hunting right now?  I know the roads may be closed but what about walking in?? 

coyote101

From the LBL site:

January 30, 2009

LBL remains closed to the public due to severe damage from the recent ice storm, which has made for unsafe conditions. Only The Trace (the main LBL north-south road) is open from Dover, TN to Grand Rivers, KY. The rest of LBL — all roads, areas, and trails (OHV/ATV, hiking, biking, and horseback trails) — are closed to visitors until further notice. Activities such as ATV riding, hunting, hiking, camping, sightseeing, etc. are not permitted at this time.

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Thanks Pat.  I haven't been on LBL's site and should have looked there first. 

Jimmie in Ky

I am trying to get hold of the Friends of the LBL group now and find out what I can do to help. The pics I saw were unbeleivable and I have been through it myself. One pic showed a picnic table of concrete up on end because of an uprooted tree. I think one of trhose tables base and all would be well over a ton. Others crushed like cardboard. The tree in the road was possibly near thirty inches in diameter.Trunk with no limbs all the way across the road. No telling what that saw log would be worth. Jimmie