• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Venison Ring Bologna..

Started by HuntnCarve, December 12, 2009, 08:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Looks good Dave.

Make another batch, but add some garlic, peppercorns, jalapeno and cheese and send a couple up my way.  :wink:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HuntnCarve

Smudge is the smoke from the smoker. :laf: 

I'll have to try some with the jalepenos and cheese on down the line. I truly enjoy eating this kind of stuff!

There's a meat shop about an hour from here that has Kielbasy stix's with and without cheese that are to die for!  Before and during deer season, the folks are lined up in the street waiting their turn to buy stuff at this place.  My daughter and I snuck up there one afternoon and bought some kielbasy loaf and a loaf of fresh dark rye bread.  We made sandwiches, and ate them  out in the truck in front of the store. A finer day was not spent!   www.kielbasy.net

Silencer

Reminds me of the Amnish place a little ways from here that makes the homemade cheese.  I've never had horseradish cheese like they make.  Home made rye bread, dip, and horseradish cheese  :yoyo:

bigben

does it taste like the sweet weavers balogna in stores?  not the sour kind but sweet?  I have a bunch of deer meat I was plannin on using for jerky meat but haven't done anything with it.  I would like to make balogna out of it but not sure yet.  yours looks very good.   :yoyo:
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

HuntnCarve

Ben,  Nah, this does not taste like the Weaver's style.  That has alot of sugar, and fermenting agent.  This one has a natural smoky, meaty taste, that's great for snacking on.  By itself, or with crackers and cheese, it's really good!

Dave

Hawks Feather

Dave,

You are making me hungry.

Jerry

alscalls

Its in my book and I am ordering more casings now..... :eyebrow:   Thanks Dave.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

cathryn

R Buker

That looks great!

We made 61 lbs of Venison Cheddar Brats.  Half were made with wild rice in them too.    That is some GOOOOOD stuff.

JohnP

That sure looks good Dave.  I passed your recipe on to my buddy who shot the elk.  Said he would try it. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

msmith

Thanks for the info on the smoker Dave. I have been eyeballing them at Cabelas, but it looks like the Sausage Maker people really know their stuff, especially since making sausage is what they do. This post has me convinced to buy one. I have about 50 # of ground deer in the freezer with more to come this weekend hopefully. Your bologna looks great and the recipe doesn't sound to awful hard.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

HaMeR

Quote from: HaMeR on December 12, 2009, 09:00:54 PM
Ship em priority Dave!! They'll still be froze when they get here!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

:confused:  Damn mailman musta ate em!!  :madd: :argh: :argh:

:laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Todd Rahm

Dang Dave, you do it up right don't ya?  :biggrin:

HuntnCarve

Glad I could be of help fellas.  Making stuff like this is really not hard at all.  If you have a good meat grinder its pretty simple once the meat is ground up.  I'm sort of limited on my batch size by the capacity of my smoker.  It'll only hold 20 Lbs.  I have to say, there is nothing more satisfying then opening up that smoker at the end of the cook, and seeing those dark skinned beauties hanging there. :wink:

Todd Rahm

Dave what role does the 2 cups non-fat dry milk do for the final product?

builderone

:bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: That looks great.  :yoyo: :yoyo: Thanks for sharing.
Chad

HuntnCarve

Todd, the Dry Milk acts as a binder in the recipe.  You could substitute soy protein powder in its place.  But I like the dry milk in the mix.  Without the binder in the bologna the meat would get real crumbly.

Todd Rahm

Thanks Dave. That for sure had my curiosity up.