• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

.270 thunder!

Started by nastygunz, November 17, 2019, 07:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

You can keep all the fancy new rounds like the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 300 blackout and the 350 legend etc. I like a good old classic round like a .270
9° above zero.

riverboss

Nice! I've never hunted with a 270.
Looks like the work is about to start now.

Sent from my Vivo XI using Tapatalk

nastygunz

That is where an abundance of strong young nephews comes in handy 👍🇺🇸

riverboss

Lucky you! I don't have any family left, I do it all myself if it weren't for a ATV I would never shoot another deer.

Okanagan

Way to get it done!  Having nephews and grandsons to pack meat rates as one of life's great inventions.

nastygunz

Up in these parts they are real jerks about ATVs on public land they need to re-examine that so older hunters can get out in the woods more and as you said drag deer out and such.  They are slowly starting to think about that with all the baby boomers.
In New Hampshire and Vermont you used to have a disability permit from a doctor to be able to use a crossbow during all the hunting seasons. A couple of years ago Vermont passed a law that if you're 50 years and older you can use a crossbow for any hunting season, if you're under 50  you still have to get a disability permit .

Quote from: riverboss on November 17, 2019, 09:22:03 AM
Lucky you! I don't have any family left, I do it all myself if it weren't for a ATV I would never shoot another deer.

riverboss

Around here they will give a handicap card to anyone.
It's more abused than food stamps every time we go out it's a job to find a place to park with a loading spot to get out the wheel chair.
I could only image if they let you drive on public land to hunt, 20 yr old athletes who have a handi cap card.

Hawks Feather

It does look like your .270 did the work.  I bought a new Ruger 77 in .270 on 02/09/1992 with plans to make it out west for Prong Horn or Mule Deer.  That never happened, so I have a Mag-Na-Ported barrel, bedded stock, and worked trigger on a firearm that has been fired 185 times at an outdoor range - working with different scopes and different loads.   :doh2:   :doh2:   :doh2:

pitw

270 was my first big game rifle.  Your deer looks good enough to eat.
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

When I was a kid there were only three deer calibers invented, 270, 30 odd six and 3030!  :yoyo:🇺🇸🇺🇸

Hawks Feather

Quote from: nastygunz on November 17, 2019, 02:08:14 PM
When I was a kid there were only three deer calibers invented, 270, 30 odd six and 3030!  :yoyo:🇺🇸🇺🇸

I can relate to that. My 30/30 kicks like a mule. And a strong mule it is.  I hate recoil.

KySongDog

My deer rifle currently is a .308.  Burris scope and Jerry Miculek muzzle brake.  Soft recoiling with 150 gr sp.  Even more so when I use 110 gr hp.

FinsnFur

Oh man thats going to make some nice jerky! :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
I used to have a stainless Ruger 270. Loved it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Good round.   :congrats:

I don't have a .270 but two of my cousins do, and they asked me to load some .270 for them.  They have the dies and brass and bought some powder and primers.  I have everything else.  I have 50 rounds cleaned, sized, primed and ready to charge with powder and load a bullet in each.  That is my morning project today.  They are going with 140 grain Hornady SST bullets.

I loaded 50 rounds for them last week before they made a hunt to Montana and I hear they are headed home today with a couple of very nice bucks.  Loading for two rifles, I full length sized and followed SAAMI specs for factory OAL.  They told me the reloads shot tight groups in one rifle and very good groups in the other, and they were pleased.  They are hunters, not shooters, VERY GOOD hunters.

nastygunz

I am not a good hunter or shooter I'm just lucky  :innocentwhistle:

Hawks Feather

Quote from: nastygunz on November 18, 2019, 02:28:57 PM

What are you talking about as being LUCKY?

riverboss

Johnny I'm going to have to get a 308 one of these days, I've always liked the round and have known several who own them that really like to them!
I've used the 243 for yrs and find it a great cartridge.

nastygunz

Game animals just pop up in front of me :innocentwhistle: :yoyo:
....then again i do move through the woods like an apache ghost. :yoyo:

Quote from: Hawks Feather on November 18, 2019, 03:46:43 PM
Quote from: nastygunz on November 18, 2019, 02:28:57 PM

What are you talking about as being LUCKY?

riverboss

I'd rather be lucky as not.

nastygunz

One of the biggest bucks I ever shot was after I spent the whole day hiking all over the mountain in Vermont behind the camp never even saw a deer started pouring and thundering out so I started heading back towards the camp and I was about a half a mile away on the edge of a powerline leaned my rifle against the tree was taking a leak  and here comes an old Mossyback buck across the powerline coming straight at me.
   I put the little gun away and picked up the big gun leaned against the tree and waited about two minutes and shot him walking by me about 15 feet away. Sheer luck :yoyo:

Another time I stopped on an old logging road out in the woods I was looking at a big steaming pile of moose crap and about 30 feet away from me a big buck stood up out of a brush pile and looked me right in the eye and I plugged him to.
    I call it luck but it's mostly about putting your time in the woods. And I do mean woods because there's not much open space up there solid forest .  That's why I am a poor shot because I have never had to shoot very far.  :biggrin: