• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Bitten by a bug...

Started by HuntnCarve, June 18, 2014, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

You really have to respect the power of these rifles.  At 100 yards this one was punching through 3/4" plywood.  Because of the shrouded barrel they are really, really quiet.  So it's deceiving when you fire it.  A fellow at the range yesterday was teasing me about a little "pop gun"... Well, after watching the dirt kick up, behind the plywood backstop, and sticking his finger through the hole in the plywood at 50 yards.  His quote was "Damn"!!!   :laf:

Hawks Feather

Quote from: HuntnCarve on June 21, 2014, 06:43:56 AM
You really have to respect the power of these rifles.  At 100 yards this one was punching through 3/4" plywood.  Because of the shrouded barrel they are really, really quiet.  So it's deceiving when you fire it.  A fellow at the range yesterday was teasing me about a little "pop gun"... Well, after watching the dirt kick up, behind the plywood backstop, and sticking his finger through the hole in the plywood at 50 yards.  His quote was "Damn"!!!   :laf:

You have to enjoy having things like this happen.

Jerry

FOsteology

Yes, it's definitely true that most folks haven't a clue as to how powerful an airgun can be. If memory serves correctly, the Austrian Army used airguns against Napoleon. Louis and Clark had airguns on their expedition and they were used to provide meat.

There was a gentleman I met several years ago that was from Kentucky (I may be wrong on his location) that built high caliber airguns. He went to a friend of mine's place and killed a bison with it. One shot.

FOsteology

.25cal Cricket with a JSB Exact 25.4grain pellet at 35 yards....

40 yards:

We call them javelina here in Texas. Typically 40-60 pounds on the hoof.

HuntnCarve

Yes sir, the .25 Cricket flat out performs!   :eyebrow:  Pretty much like a 1/4" spike being driven through what ever it is aimed at. :wink:

Okanagan

Oh man, I just went to the Kalibrguns web site and drooled all over my keyboard again. 

Dave

I was up at HnC's and took some shots with the Cricket. 
Incredibly accurate and very cool to shoot!
And FOs says you can hunt buffalo with it.
I want one.   :sad2:

FOsteology

Quote from: Dave on February 28, 2015, 07:07:27 AM
And FOs says you can hunt buffalo with it.

With the Cricket, no.

There was a fella from Kentucky that built his own big bore air rifles that killed one [bison] at my friends ranch many years ago. I'm thinking it was something like a .60 or .70 caliber slinging a huge chunk of cast bullet/sabot of 300gr. or more.

My friend said the guy shot it behind the shoulders and the bison didn't even appear to flinch. Just kept walking about grazing while blood was gushing out. Finally after a substantial loss of blood, it staggered and dropped.... then they broke out the knives.

Dave

Quote from: FOsteology on February 28, 2015, 01:15:57 PM

With the Cricket, no.

There was a fella from Kentucky that built his own big bore air rifles that killed one [bison] at my friends ranch many years ago. I'm thinking it was something like a .60 or .70 caliber slinging a huge chunk of cast bullet/sabot of 300gr. or more.

My friend said the guy shot it behind the shoulders and the bison didn't even appear to flinch. Just kept walking about grazing while blood was gushing out. Finally after a substantial loss of blood, it staggered and dropped.... then they broke out the knives.

I did see that about the guy building his own air guns.  My mind just fused everything together.  :doh2:

Amazing how it took down those Javelina, though.

nastygunz

My Benjamin discovery is hands down my favorite squirrel hunting rifle. The kids love shooting it to no recoil cheap ammo what's not to love about an air rifle.

johnoh

Well I broke down and bought a Benjamin marauder, started with a 22 caliber could not get it to shoot very well. Sent it back and got a 25 caliber it is a tack driver. I live in town and ha e seen a ton of groundhogs got 18 last year with a RWS model 52 in 22 caliber. Now that I have this gun  the whistle pigs have gotten all shy open a door they are gone. Pumping it up is not the most pleasant thing to do but 16 shots between fills is not bad. Am hoping to get in some squirrel hunting with it this year.

HuntnCarve

You pretty much went the same route that I did buying the .22 Marauder first, then the .25 Marauder.  Both of my Marauders were very accurate.  Still are for that matter.  I would say the .25 is slightly better overall than the .22 version.  But they do not come close to the .25 Cricket.  It is a flat out precision shooting rifle. As for pumping them up.  I started with the Benjamin hand pump.  Got tired of having to rebuild it all the time.  Then bought a Hill brand pump. - Very good pump!  Then finally bought a Great White Carbon fiber tank.  Costs me $6.00 at the dive shop up the road to fill it.  Lasts a long, long time.  Bottom line is the rifles are a blast to shoot!

johnoh

Yes they are haven't had any trouble yet with the Benjamin pump. My nephew was playing and shot an inch and a half group at 100 yards he was impressed. It was rough spending that much on a pellet gun but after shooting it you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

JohnP

Well my Daisy Red Ryder still shoots as good as any of this new modern day stuff, killed a coyote at 300 yards with it and had a stiff cross wind.  No sir, not getting any of that new fangled stuff.  You youngsters just don't appreciate the good stuff. 

Dave - need to see some pictures  of dead stuff.  Good looking gun and scope.   
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

Quote from: JohnP on October 03, 2015, 11:47:14 AM
Well my Daisy Red Ryder still shoots as good as any of this new modern day stuff, killed a coyote at 300 yards with it and had a stiff cross wind.  No sir, not getting any of that new fangled stuff.  You youngsters just don't appreciate the good stuff. 

Dave - need to see some pictures  of dead stuff.  Good looking gun and scope.

Well John, all I can say is that I normally was shooting sparrows with my Daisy Model 25.  I liked it because you loaded the BBs into a spring loaded tube so there was no noise when you turned the gun.  But I don't think that any of the sparrows would have heard it anyway.  I never took a shot under 100 yards and always shot for their eye.  Anything under 100 yards just ruined the meat.

Jerry    :eyebrow: