• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

LBL2015 photos #2

Started by Frogman, February 11, 2015, 09:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

Here are a few more pictures from LBL2015 . . .

Pat conducting the Saturday evening drawing.  Good job Pat!!

Linemansteve.

Riverboss talking to some of the guys.

Coyotex2 and son.

Coyote or dog??  How can you tell??  I still have trouble distinguishing.  This was on a horse trail and a lot of the horse people bring their dogs along.

Good shooting Dan!!

Had a great time!  Hope you guys enjoy the pictures!

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

possumal

Looks like a big dog track to me.  Most coyotes have their outer toenails turning in more.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Okanagan

Great photos!  Looks like a really relaxed and enjoyable time.

I'd forgotten that Pat is left handed.

Re the track:  I'd lean with possumal and guess dog for much the same reasons.  Coyote tracks generally are "neater" with toes more tightly bunched together rather than being spread and claw marks less prominent and closer to the end of each toe.

However, I can't always tell the difference between dog and coyote because they are so similar (if in the right size range).  There are too many exceptions to the general tendency.   I've killed big old coyotes that left tracks with splayed toes I would have called dog tracks.  I've also seen dogs, usually younger ones, with tight toed coyote looking tracks.

Tracks in soft material like this mud tend to make each part of the track more prominent, and the speed at which the animal was walking or running makes a huge difference in toe spread, as does slope of the ground, whether the critter was turning, etc.

In that location I'd still guess that this track was made by a dog, and merely say, "How about that," if it turned out to be coyote. 

When possible I like to backtrack animals that we've killed just to correlate track appearance with a positively ID'd critter.  Ditto for seeing an animal and checking its track. 

JohnP

I would also say dog, based entirely on the length of his nails.  Coyotes have to work for a living (republican) dogs don't (democrat) hence dogs tend to have nails longer than coyotes. 

P.S.  Some dogs do have to work for  living, hunting, guards, herding they are not normally democrats. 
Democrat:

Republican:
_
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FinsnFur

Frogman, I hope you dont mind...I borrowed some of your pics for the LBLHunt.com site.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!