• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Moving East.

Started by yucca, June 27, 2008, 12:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yucca

I know many of you live on the east coast. Maybe someone can help me with a few questions.

Well my wife is talking about moving east. At least for a few years. She has lived in NM all of her life and I have lived in NM and AZ most of mine. So we are true desert dwellers. Well my wife needs a few years of industry experiance so it looks like we may have to move toward Cambridge MA. I will probably keep my home here and buy or rent a place near Cambridge.
A few questions:
Any of you know of a decent area to rent or buy near Cambridge?
Commute times for those areas?
Taxes?
Can we legally defend ourselves via firearm like we can here in NM?
Open carry?
Concealed carry?
I guess mild winters will be out of the question.
Is NH to far for daily commuting?

Thanks

Rprince

I can't answer your questions about MA. but good luck with your journey.

misfire

Quote from: yucca on June 27, 2008, 12:37:10 PM
I know many of you live on the east coast. Maybe someone can help me with a few questions.

Well my wife is talking about moving east. At least for a few years. She has lived in NM all of her life and I have lived in NM and AZ most of mine. So we are true desert dwellers. Well my wife needs a few years of industry experiance so it looks like we may have to move toward Cambridge MA. I will probably keep my home here and buy or rent a place near Cambridge.
A few questions:
Any of you know of a decent area to rent or buy near Cambridge?
Commute times for those areas?
Taxes?
Can we legally defend ourselves via firearm like we can here in NM?
Open carry?
Concealed carry?
I guess mild winters will be out of the question.
Is NH to far for daily commuting?

Thanks

I can answer a few of those for ya, but you can check online for better results. MA is one of the most liberal states in the Union, as you can tell when they continuously re-elect that drunk murdered Kennedy. Leave your guns at home in AR, I dont believe they will be welcome. Little to no hunting there either, but you wont be too far from up-state NY which has some decent hunting available. I am pretty sure ( but dont quote me) that there is NO concealed carry in the entire state. I have n doubt that you will be absolutely misereable there. Best of luck

One good thing though, best clam chowder in the world
#1700 God's Speed my brother

THO Game Calls

I don't know of any places around Cambridge to rent or buy, but I can pick up a Sunday Paper and send it to you to give you an idea.   Glad to do that.

Commute times in and around Boston are like any large eastern city.  A lot of traffic, and slow going most of the time.  If you average 30 MPH in rush hour, you're in the breakdown lane :)

They don't call it Taxachusettes for nothing.   Figure roughly 50% of what you make they will take.  Depending upon your income of course.  Also be aware that Mass has MANDATORY HEALTH INSUREANCE.   MANDATORY VEHICLE INSUREANCE also.  And the insureance companies know it and take advantage of it.

You cannot own a gun, even a BB Gun or a Sling Shot in MASS unless you obtain a Firearms ID Card.   You must apply for this at your local police station.  It is up to the chief of police weather you get one or not.  You cannot even buy ammo without one.  And if you have a Mass Driverls License, you wont be able to buy ammo in NH without the FID either.

Your chances of getting a FID in Cambridge are slim.  Very Slim.  Other towns are more liberal in the issuance of the FID, but Cambridge is one of the towns that the "beautiful" people live in.  You might consider taking up golf.

Concealed Carry - No.  You can apply, but you will not get it.  Even ritired police officers cannot carry concealed.  If you are found with a concealed hand gun in Mass and you do not have a permit, it is a Mandatory 1 Year in Jail

Open Carry - people would pass out and they would call SWATT.  This is Ted Kennedy Country.   Guns are bad.  Cars driven off bridges on Cape Cod are OK though.

Winters in Mass are not too bad.  The temps will be cold for a month or so, usually January and Feb, by that I mean in the low teens but for the most part, milder than you would think.  Snow is sometimes an issue.  They do normally do a very good job of clearing the major roads and highways.   The fuel price situation may have an effect on that this year, but the winters would be the least of your problems.  Besides, one of the most beautiful sites you will ever see is the woods after the first snowfall.  

Boston is a beautiful city, with a lot of our nations history in and around it.  For all people say about Boston, that is one thing you cannot take away from it.   Our country was just about born in Boston with charators like John Hancock and Sam Adams and others.   Old Iron Sides, the USS Constitution sits in Boston Harbor and you can visit her in the summer.   She is the oldest active ship in the navy.  They tow her out once a year and turn her around and bring her back into port.  The sailors who are assiged to the ship dress in the old revolutionary war uniforms and do a really great job giving tours.  You can also visit Thoreau's home, at Concord, where he wrote Walden.   Robert Frost's farm is just up the road in NH too.  

Yeah parts of Boston you would not want to go at night, but for the most part, Boston is moe than it is given credit for.

NH is about 40 miles north of Cambridge via Interstate 93.  There is limited public transportation to the Boston Area, however, once in Mass, there are several Subway stops off of 93 where you can catch a train to the city.  They call it the T.  

Parts of Salem, NH, Windham, and Londonderry are very nice places to live, as well as other small towns.   Most are within minutes of the interstate.  You also have the Hamptons on the ocean off Interstate 95.   All of these interstates converge on Boston.  Commute times would all be equal, figure an hour t best and an hour and a half at worst one way, maybe less.  Many people live in NH and commute to Boston every day.  Ride sharing is alive and well and the state of NH has a ride sharing system in place where you can call and get names of people going your way.

If you live in NH and work in Mass, you still have to pay Mass income tax, but NH has no income or sales tax.  NH Property taxes are the 3rd highest in the nation.  You can figure 4000 to 5000 a year for a home in NH for property taxes.  Rents for a home will be from 1000 to 1500 a month.  Appartments from 800 and up depending on size and community.  If you buy, figure on 300,000 minimum for a home in NH, twice that around Boston, three or moe times in Cambidge or some of the other nicer areas.  

NH only has one gun law.   Don't mess with the people who have guns.  

Open carry is legal anywhere in the state, but you cannot transport a loaded handgun in your car unless you have a Carry Permit.   Otherwise the gun must be locked in a case and the ammo separate from it

Carry permit in NH is "Shall Issue" which means if you have a legitimate need to carry a concealed hand gun, the state MUST issue you a permit witin 14 days of your request.  Self Defense is by Law in NH, a legitamate need.  There is no test or anything other than the 10 dollar fee for the carry permit.   There are no waiting times or other BS to buy a weapon in NH.  If you pass the instant background check, you get your gun right then.  Vermont is even better.  Concealed Carry is leagal as is open carry anywhere in the state without a permit except a school, court room or a bar.  Good hunting in Vt too, and only a couple hours from Boston.

Coyote huning in Mass is by season.  NH is open all year round.   Fox in NH runs from Sept 30 to March 30.  

There are thousands and thousands of acres of public land to hunt on in NH.   Even if you live in Mass, less than one hour will put you in some great big woods hunting spots open to the public year round.  Bear Brook State Park and the Manchester Watershed comprise about 30,000 acres open year round.  

What ever you do, you will have friends who can show you around the area when you get here.  If you have the guts. we'll even take you over to the infamous Bill Martz's place and show you the Wildlife Tech E caller LOL.

Let me know if I can help with anything.   Boston papers are sold here daily and any information you need I should be able to run down for you.

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

yucca

Quote from: THO Game Calls on June 27, 2008, 01:48:35 PM
I don't know of any places around Cambridge to rent or buy, but I can pick up a Sunday Paper and send it to you to give you an idea.   Glad to do that.

My wife is there now so she will pick up papers, realestate books etc.  She actually travels to Boston 3-4 times a year currently. Thanks for the very kind offer

Commute times in and around Boston are like any large eastern city.  A lot of traffic, and slow going most of the time.  If you average 30 MPH in rush hour, you're in the breakdown lane :)

This will suck! It takes us 15-20 minutes to commute currently. And it appears that living close to Cambridge may be a bit on the high side.
They don't call it Taxachusettes for nothing.   Figure roughly 50% of what you make they will take.  Depending upon your income of course.  Also be aware that Mass has MANDATORY HEALTH INSUREANCE.   MANDATORY VEHICLE INSUREANCE also.  And the insureance companies know it and take advantage of it.
50% tax! @#^& damn! That will be tough to swallow.

You cannot own a gun, even a BB Gun or a Sling Shot in MASS unless you obtain a Firearms ID Card.   You must apply for this at your local police station.  It is up to the chief of police weather you get one or not.  You cannot even buy ammo without one.  And if you have a Mass Driverls License, you wont be able to buy ammo in NH without the FID either.
I

Your chances of getting a FID in Cambridge are slim.  Very Slim.  Other towns are more liberal in the issuance of the FID, but Cambridge is one of the towns that the "beautiful" people live in.  You might consider taking up golf.

Concealed Carry - No.  You can apply, but you will not get it.  Even ritired police officers cannot carry concealed.  If you are found with a concealed hand gun in Mass and you do not have a permit, it is a Mandatory 1 Year in Jail

Open Carry - people would pass out and they would call SWATT.  This is Ted Kennedy Country.   Guns are bad.  Cars driven off bridges on Cape Cod are OK though.

Here we can carry loaded and concealed in our automobiles as they are considered an extention of our homes. For my sake it will be better for us to really consider NH as an alternative.

Winters in Mass are not too bad.  The temps will be cold for a month or so, usually January and Feb, by that I mean in the low teens but for the most part, milder than you would think.  Snow is sometimes an issue.  They do normally do a very good job of clearing the major roads and highways.   The fuel price situation may have an effect on that this year, but the winters would be the least of your problems.  Besides, one of the most beautiful sites you will ever see is the woods after the first snowfall.
My average gas/electric is running @ 100.00 bucks a month. Is that anywhere in the neighborhood of what I can expect?

NH is about 40 miles north of Cambridge via Interstate 93.  There is limited public transportation to the Boston Area, however, once in Mass, there are several Subway stops off of 93 where you can catch a train to the city.  They call it the T.  

Parts of Salem, NH, Windham, and Londonderry are very nice places to live, as well as other small towns.   Most are within minutes of the interstate.  You also have the Hamptons on the ocean off Interstate 95.   All of these interstates converge on Boston.  Commute times would all be equal, figure an hour t best and an hour and a half at worst one way, maybe less.  Many people live in NH and commute to Boston every day.  Ride sharing is alive and well and the state of NH has a ride sharing system in place where you can call and get names of people going your way.

If you live in NH and work in Mass, you still have to pay Mass income tax, but NH has no income or sales tax.  NH Property taxes are the 3rd highest in the nation.  You can figure 4000 to 5000 a year for a home in NH for property taxes.  Rents for a home will be from 1000 to 1500 a month.  Appartments from 800 and up depending on size and community.  If you buy, figure on 300,000 minimum for a home in NH, twice that around Boston, three or moe times in Cambidge or some of the other nicer areas.
NH seem like the most likely place. This info is very helpfull.
NH only has one gun law.   Don't mess with the people who have guns.  
Great law!

Coyote huning in Mass is by season.  NH is open all year round.   Fox in NH runs from Sept 30 to March 30.  

There are thousands and thousands of acres of public land to hunt on in NH.   Even if you live in Mass, less than one hour will put you in some great big woods hunting spots open to the public year round.  Bear Brook State Park and the Manchester Watershed comprise about 30,000 acres open year round.  

What ever you do, you will have friends who can show you around the area when you get here.  If you have the guts. we'll even take you over to the infamous Bill Martz's place and show you the Wildlife Tech E caller LOL.

Let me know if I can help with anything.   Boston papers are sold here daily and any information you need I should be able to run down for you.

Al

I will need help for sure out there. Here it's not to hard to see 10-15 coyotes in a day if you have the right areas to hunt. And yes I have the guts to check out different brands of callers. I am not owned by any call maker :biggrin:.

Thanks for the info.

FinsnFur

That's gonna be a heck of an adjustment to make :shck:
Uprooting from the West and moving to the East is going to be like switching planets. Maybe you should layover in the Midwest for a year or two and wean yourselves onto the fast pace atmosphere of the East :wink: :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

THO Game Calls

My electric bill is around 125 a month, but I heat with oil.  Gas is around 35 but it is used only for hot water.

Heating will be the big deal, if you get a home with oil, it will be around 4.50 a gallon and your average tank holds 275 gals.  It could get very expesive this winter for a lot of folks.  You will probably fill your tank 3 times at least over the winter.

If you want a good idea of what Boston is really like, check out this web site

http://www.wrko.com/Homepage/259336

and give a listen to Howie Carr.  He is a boston legend.  A Rush conservative and a hoot.  His show is on from 3 to 6 or 7 monday thru friday Eastern Time.

You wont see 10 to 15 coyotes in a day here, but you can kill 10 to 15 a year if you work at it.  

It's different, but it's still hunting, still being in the woods, and still fun.  Deer hunting is gettng better in NH, and the fishing is really good.   Lots to do if the coyotes wont cooperate, and a lot of beautiful land to wander around on.  

Good luck and again, if I can do anythng let me know.  Browning204 lives in Manchester too, and you might want to check out NH Woods and Waters Web site.  http://www.nhwoodswaters.proboards82.com/index.cgi  

Al

yucca

Hey Al,

Do you have to join a union for the skilled blue collar type jobs over there?

yucca

ninthinning

I grew up  in Colorado and lived there until I was 25.  Thought I would miss all the fine hunting and fishing but after I lived here in New York for awhile I learned there is good hunting and fishing here.  I always miss the mountains but life in New York has been wonderful.  As a matter of fact the game laws here are far more reasonable than in many western states.  Massachusetts probably has all you could want just presented a little differently.  My guess is you will enjoy your new home once you find out how to hunt and fish the local area.
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

THO Game Calls

QuoteDo you have to join a union for the skilled blue collar type jobs over there?

I don't know the answer to that one.  I have a buddy who is an electrician and I can ask him when I see him next week. 

Al

yucca

Quote from: ninthinning on June 29, 2008, 01:48:43 PM
I grew up  in Colorado and lived there until I was 25.  Thought I would miss all the fine hunting and fishing but after I lived here in New York for awhile I learned there is good hunting and fishing here.  I always miss the mountains but life in New York has been wonderful.  As a matter of fact the game laws here are far more reasonable than in many western states.  Massachusetts probably has all you could want just presented a little differently.  My guess is you will enjoy your new home once you find out how to hunt and fish the local area.

I'm sure it will be an experiance. I think the thing I will miss the most is the open space we have here. We can drive 10-15 minutes and get into some country were there is no one around. Solitude. Oh well it won't be permenant.

nastygunz

In NH in a M/V an UNLOADED gun does not have to be locked in a case and the ammo seperate  :wink:

THO Game Calls

I was talking about a pistol.   And a pistol in a vehicle has to be unloaded, in a case and the ammo separate.

Here is the RSA that applies to this.   Feel free to give the state police a call and see what they have to say, but this is what they will tell you. If your firearm is not cased, and your ammo is in proximity to your weapon, where you could easily pick it up and load it, you are in violation of the law.  They will arrest you. 

NH RSA 159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.
Source. 1923, 118:4. PL 149:4. RL 179:4. 1951, 151:1. RSA 159:4. 1967, 220:3. 1973, 528:84. 1994, 48:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1995.

But hey - you do what you want  :)

Al

nastygunz

I am aware you meant a handgun. And,  I am also aware I am not perfect and capable of an error, I did indeed speak to a person I know who is a state police captain, who indeed confirmed you do not have to have an unloaded handgun "Locked in a case and the ammo separate" .
     The RSA you quote "A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges" is not applicable to an unloaded handgun,its applicable to a loaded handgun. So hey, I will do it my way and if I get pulled over and arrested, I will have my lawyer enter the email from a state police captain into evidence in my defense  :wink:

THO Game Calls

I would certainly like to see an E mail from a state police captain who told you that.  Please forward it to me.  Al@THOGameCalls.com    It would be nice to be able to take to a meeting of GONH.   I am sure it would bring up a lively discussion and perhaps a challange to the RSA again.   Or perhaps new legislation being introduced. 

Easy as it is to get a carry permit in NH, (only one person has ever been denied who passed the background check) it really is a moot point.

Al

THO Game Calls

I just got off the phone with a buddy who is a retired state trooper.   He's a former Marine and his son is currently serving, that's how we know each other. 

He told me that the ammo must be separate from the weapon. Period.  That is how the law is written.  Ammo or a clip laying on the seat next to it, might by the letter of the law let you win in court, but it will probably get your handgun confiscated and you at least charged, depending on the officers mood, but unless he actually saw you unload it, or said he did,  you would win in court.

So, you are right, and I stand corrected.   Glad you cleared it up.   

Al