• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hit the river

Started by bigben, March 02, 2012, 03:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Hit the river for the second time this year. I had a request for fried catfish. So i kept 6 today for the fryer. Caught 7 total and lost two at the start. Big fish was 12 lbs. small fish was 3 lbs.

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

nastygunz

dang I wish we had megacats like that!

bigben

They are channels. They get that brown back tan side in cold water round here.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Dave

Nice catch.  Spike's been bugging me to bring him somewhere for some cats - he wants to try eating one.  I've yet to try one, and my one buddy says I'm crazy if I do - that they suck up what lays on the bottom.

What do they compare to?  And I've caught channel cats on both minnows (live - not off the bottom!) and lures, and they've always looked good to eat.  I'm guessing it depends on the quality of the river, too.  I don't think I'd try one out of the Skuylkill, but I would the Delaware or Susq.   
What river did these guys come out of?

bigben

These came out of the susky. If your interested we can go out. I got the gear and usually look for people to go with me. The trick is you need to bleed the fish out. When ya catch one rip a gill out on both sides. As far as how they taste it is all in how you prepare it. Cut them into sumilar sized chunks so they fry right.

bigben

And channels once they get above 6 lbs they will turn into predatory fish as well. Most use livers. I use cut bait.

Here is a fillet of the biggest one. As far as the taste if you bleed em and care for em right they taste like the ones from the super market

Coulter

Nice catch Ben...We get some in the Lake Erie tribs in the spring. They make great bait too :yoyo:

Steve

FinsnFur

I can't believe your grass is getting green already...OR that your catching catfish. Were under snow and still drilling holes in the river.

My grampa taught me to cut the dark pink lateral line out of the fish to eliminate the fishy river taste that comes with catfish. We've never bled them out, and we've never let them set in creeks for a few days to clean out. We've always cut out that pink lateral line and the river taste is gone completely.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Hmmm, catfish is my favorite!  Looks good!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Hidehunter

Denver                                           

Dave

Bigben, what area of the susqy do you fish?  I'm about an hour and a half from the harrisburg area, which is the closest the susq is to me (I'm about an hour N of center city, Phila.)  May take you up on your offer sometime.  Spike would love it.

I have bled out some saltwater fish, but haven't tried it with freshwater. 
And Jim, I have done the same with cutting out the dark meat areas (again, saltwater fish), which is that lateral line area you highlighted, to get rid of the nasty stuff.  It really does take out the 'fishy' smell/taste.

BTW, that filet looks like it'd be great to eat.  I was thinking it'd be mushier.

bigben

I fish any part from harrisburg downstream. 

I actually do cut that out if it is dark red. For some reason these didnt bleed out right.

bigben

About the winter jim. We had one of the mildest winters i could remember. Ponds never froze at all. We only had one snow storm and fhat was back in october. I woulda been on the river earlier this year just didnt have the time. They claim you can catch channels all year long last year we were catching them in 32 deg water. Ya just got to keep moving till you find them. I fish a spot no more then 15-20 mins if i dont catch more then a few i move

Dave

Quote from: bigben on March 03, 2012, 05:54:56 PM
I fish any part from harrisburg downstream. 
That would definitely be do-able.  I like hitting the Brunner Island warm water discharge for smallies during the colder months (if you haven't been there, you HAVE to get there), and sometimes get a few cats there.  Getting to there I come accross rte 30 from Lancaster.

bigben

Brunner island is over fished. Been there done that. Just not too into crowds.

Finished Product.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hidehunter

Denver                                           

bigben

It was tasty. We had fresh cut frnch frys as well. But no pics of them since all that was left was crumbs

Dave

Quote from: bigben on March 04, 2012, 05:44:46 PM
Brunner island is over fished. Been there done that. Just not too into crowds.
I agree it is overfished and crowded at times.  The fish are there, though, and concentrated - also a lot bigger than I can get around here (which is really only the Delaware for smallies, and a 13" fish is big there, while that's the average at Brunner).  I'll hit it maybe two or three times over the winter, and always on weekdays.  Usually go around where the power lines cross the river - and the last few times there, I've not had more than about 5 or 6 other guys there in over a 1/4 mile stretch (ususally just 3 or 4).  Next time there, those channel cats better stay off the end of my line after seeing that plate of gold nuggets you posted.

shaddragger

:wo: A saltwater soak in the fridge overnight helps tone down that fishy taste too. Sprinkle each filet with salt and cover with water. Helps pull the oil and blood out.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen