• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

LBL shotgun shot size restriction

Started by KySongDog, September 05, 2008, 11:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

I was looking at LBL's new regulations for small game and noticed the restriction to BB shot and smaller has been removed.  It was there last year but now it says:

"LEGAL WEAPONS FOR SMALL GAME HUNTING
Shotguns, rimfire rifles, rimfire handguns, muzzleloaders, and archery equipment according to state regulations with the following exceptions: the use of centerfire rifles, centerfire handguns, and shotguns loaded with slugs or shot (lead and steel) are prohibited (except for coyotes and hogs during January 26 - February 28 -- see regulations). Broadheads may not be used for small game hunting except for specified game during the deer archery season. "

The regulations also say:

"COYOTE / FERAL HOGS
Coyotes may be taken during daylight hours in any open hunting season with weapons specified for that season. Hand, mouth, or electronic calling devices are permitted for taking coyotes. During the month of February, centerfire rifles and handguns, and shotguns with shot-size T or smaller may be used for coyote hunting / hog hunting. Hog hunting with dogs is prohibited. "

So.......does this mean Dead Coyote T shot is legal in the KY portion of LBL anytime?   :confused:  Or only during February?  :confused:

Here's the link:

LBL Small Game Regulations

Or am I not reading this right? :confused:

weedwalker

Quote from: Semp on September 05, 2008, 11:56:54 PM
I was looking at LBL's new regulations for small game and noticed the restriction to BB shot and smaller has been removed.  It was there last year but now it says:

"LEGAL WEAPONS FOR SMALL GAME HUNTING
Shotguns, rimfire rifles, rimfire handguns, muzzleloaders, and archery equipment according to state regulations with the following exceptions: the use of centerfire rifles, centerfire handguns, and shotguns loaded with slugs or shot (lead and steel) are prohibited (except for coyotes and hogs during January 26 - February 28 -- see regulations). Broadheads may not be used for small game hunting except for specified game during the deer archery season. "

The regulations also say:

"COYOTE / FERAL HOGS
Coyotes may be taken during daylight hours in any open hunting season with weapons specified for that season. Hand, mouth, or electronic calling devices are permitted for taking coyotes. During the month of February, centerfire rifles and handguns, and shotguns with shot-size T or smaller may be used for coyote hunting / hog hunting. Hog hunting with dogs is prohibited. "

So.......does this mean Dead Coyote T shot is legal in the KY portion of LBL anytime?   :confused:  Or only during February?  :confused:

T-shot can only be used during February at LBL. It appears that the rest of the year you have to use #2 shot or smaller. The BB shot isn't in the LBL regulations now.

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/pdf/kyhuntguide08-09smallgame.pdf

Small game hunters shall not possess:
• A shotshell containing larger
than number 2 size shot

KySongDog

Quote from: weedwalker on September 06, 2008, 02:50:52 AM
T-shot can only be used during February at LBL. It appears that the rest of the year you have to use #2 shot or smaller. The BB shot isn't in the LBL regulations now.

than number 2 size shot

That number 2 size shot regulation is for small game not furbearers (coyotes).  For furbearers in KY you can use T shot.  That's why I was thinking that now you can use T shot anytime at the KY portion of LBL.  This is way confusing.   :confused:

weedwalker

:confused: :shrug:
Additional Information: For additional LBL or call (270) 924-2065, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. CST, Monday through Friday

Jimmie in Ky

Sounds like the state may have tinkered with the regs again. This could present a few problems for those of us who like the shotgun during the small game seasons state wide. Jimmie

LBLDOG

there laws on t-shot can be so silly,I know people say oh, but they could shoot deer . I think the yotes need to be killed quick so whats the big deal. Who in their right mind would be doing anything illegal anyway, they always make it hard for the guy that does right,that goes for work too.  I wish we could use 4 buck legal, htats goes back to the jar head that shoots deer with them and makes it illegal for us to use! I think there more leanient on the deer hunter versus the yote hunter. I mean look , the deer hunter can carry a 30-06,243,270,300 win mag, BARRETT 50CAL,SKSand so on and they are worried about t-shot,BB and BUCK. GIVE ME A BREAK :argh:

coyote101

Here's what it says today:

LEGAL WEAPONS FOR SMALL GAME HUNTING
Shotguns, rimfire rifles, rimfire handguns, muzzleloaders, and archery equipment according to state regulations with the following exceptions: the use of centerfire rifles, centerfire handguns, and shotguns loaded with slugs or buckshot are prohibited. (See exceptions under Coyote/Feral Hog section below.) Broadheads may not be used for small game hunting except for specified game during the deer archery season.

Still no mention of BB shot, so I called LBL today for clarification. The lady I talked to interpreted the reg the same way weedwalker did. I believe that's the safest interpretation. I think someone needs to talk to the guys who are actually going to enforce the rules. I'm still confused.

Quote from: weedwalker on September 06, 2008, 02:50:52 AM

than number 2 size shot

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

alscalls

can I use my rifle at the LBL hunt in Feb.?
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Quote from: coyote101 on September 08, 2008, 06:16:07 PM
Here's what it says today:

LEGAL WEAPONS FOR SMALL GAME HUNTING
Shotguns, rimfire rifles, rimfire handguns, muzzleloaders, and archery equipment according to state regulations with the following exceptions: the use of centerfire rifles, centerfire handguns, and shotguns loaded with slugs or buckshot are prohibited. (See exceptions under Coyote/Feral Hog section below.) Broadheads may not be used for small game hunting except for specified game during the deer archery season.

Still no mention of BB shot, so I called LBL today for clarification. The lady I talked to interpreted the reg the same way weedwalker did. I believe that's the safest interpretation. I think someone needs to talk to the guys who are actually going to enforce the rules. I'm still confused.

That's interesting because they added the word "buck" in the narrative.  It wasn't there when I copied and pasted the rules in my first post.

Anyways, the regs still say "according to state regulations" and, in KY, T shot is legal.  T shot is NOT buckshot.   So it still seems to say that Dead Coyote T shot is legal anytime at LBL,  not just in February.

coyote101

Quote from: Semp on September 05, 2008, 11:56:54 PM

"COYOTE / FERAL HOGS

I think the answer depends on what is meant by "in any open hunting season". If it refers to statewide seasons, then coyotes season is open year round and T-shot would be okay. But if that were the case coyotes could be hunted at LBL year round. I don't believe they can. If it refers to LBL season, then coyotes only could be hunted during the LBL squirrel season with weapons legal during the statewide squirrel season. And we're right back to #2 shot and smaller.

Pat
NRA Life Member

KySongDog

I see your point, Pat.  That means they went from BB shot down to #2 birdshot intentionally.  Sure doesn't make a lot of sense.

Another question might be..... Why did they eliminate the BB shot language?  Unless they were trying to conform to the state's regulations.   :shrug:

I think I will call them tomorrow and see if I can get even more confused than I am now.   :biggrin:

coyote101

Quote from: Semp on September 08, 2008, 09:34:39 PM

I think I will call them tomorrow and see if I can get even more confused than I am now.   :biggrin:

That worked for me.  :nono: :nono:

Pat
NRA Life Member

weedwalker

I guess the question then would be: Is coyote season open all year at LBL? Or can you only kill them during an open season for other game, and with the weapons legal for that game?
If it's open all year, T-shot should be legal under state regs.
If only with other game seasons, then the #2 shot would apply the way it's worded.

And we're not talking about the February coyote season were centerfire rifles and shotguns with T-shot IS permitted.

KySongDog

I talked to law enforcement at the LBL today.   Other than February, you have to use whatever size shot is legal for the game in season at the time.  In other words,  #2 birdshot or smaller must be used.  The officer could not explain why BB shot was taken out of the regulations. 

Also, coyote hunting is allowed only during small game season and is not allowed year round.

Like Jimmie said, someone tinkered with the regs and may not realize what they did.

bigben

isn't the hunt in febuary anyhow?  the way I interpret it is t shot and lower in feb only.  #2 in all other seasons.  we have weird laws here also until the ppha stepped up and got some good solid wording done.  now anything smaller then and including #4 buck is good to go. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

KySongDog

Quote from: bigben on September 09, 2008, 01:14:03 PM
isn't the hunt in febuary anyhow? 

Yes, the hunt is in February so this #2 shot restriction does not affect it. 

Some of us hunt at LBL in the fall and during January so it does affect us.

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

LBLDOG

4 buck wouldnt be legal, Buck is illegal statewide and that comes out of the mouth of a KY FISH AND WILDLIFE  officer I hunt with some! What is 2 shot anyway used for ducks?  I have used  turkey loads and they arent that great!  :madd:  I wish we all could get this changed this is a law evidently made by someone that doesnt yote hunt?  I hate using turkey loads!

KySongDog

I agree the #2 shot size restriction sucks.  But I don't know how to go about getting it changed back to at least BB shot.

Jimmie in KY might know who to contact.  He knows a lot of those folks down there at LBL.