• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Another Fall Turkey

Started by KySongDog, December 06, 2010, 12:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

Went back this morning, and stalked this bird for 3 hours before slipping with in 2 feet to close the deal with my Ka-Bar....................

Nah, just kidding.   :nono:

At 0-dark-thirty this morning, I slipped in to the woods where I busted the birds yesterday.  I set up at the base of a tree and waited for daylight hoping to hear something to give me a clue where they might be.  At daylight I started noticing black blobs in the trees not more than 75 yards away.  I had set down in the middle of their roost.   :laf:   I just sat and waited. No calls, no nothing.  About 15-20 minutes after light they came down out of the trees all around me.   So since it was 25 degrees and more than a little nipply........... I took the first shot I could.   :biggrin:

A nice little hen.  

Bills Custom Calls

Turkey Magnet comes to mind here  :laf:

Isn't it great when you can set up that close to them  :yoyo: Good job Semp
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

weedwalker

Quote from: Bills Custom Calls on December 06, 2010, 03:44:52 PM
Turkey Magnet comes to mind here 

I hafta agree with ya Bill.

CONGRADULATIONS again Johnny!!! :congrats:
It's gotta be "The Hat". :wo:

:biggrin:

KySongDog

Hat?   :nono:

It's dumb ass luck.    :laf:

bambam

markTNhunter

coyote101

Well Semp, you inspired me to give this fall turkey hunting thing a try today.  It was in the teens this morning, but I was in the woods when the sun came up. I managed to locate and bust up the flock, but couldn't call them back together or get one to come to me.  :madd: :madd: Seems a real turkey sounded more inviting than I did and they regrouped on him or her. I don't have a clue what are the correct sounds to make, so I just try to sound mimmick whatever I hear.  :confused: :confused: I'm going to give it another try in the morning. Oh yeah, congratulations on another one.  :congrats: :congrats: You da man.  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Yeah he's got me wondering what I'm missing too. :eyebrownod:

Nice little gig there Johnny :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Turkey on CHRISTmas AND New Years Day @ the Semp's!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

I'm hungry for a turkey samich with mustard now.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Pat

When you find them, try the ambush method.  See if you can figure where they are going.  They will probably be feeding in a general direction.  Use the terrain to out flank 'em.  :eyebrownod:   Do not let them see you.  Set up and wait on them. 

If you can't do the ambush, busting them up will work too and is the classic way to fall turkey hunt.  You want run in to the flock and scare the beejesus out of them so that they fly in every direction (not all in one direction).  Then ease about 50-100 yards toward where most of them went.  Set up, full camo, sit stone still, and try a kee-kee run or an old hen assembly yelp.  Don't call much. Just a little bit.   Hopefully they will start to regroup after 20-30 minutes and one will come looking for you (and the rest of the flock).   

It really, really helps to have some dumb ass luck too!!   :eyebrownod:

Hope you nail one!   :yoyo:

coyotehunter_1

Semp, knowing you... my vote would be more for skill but them again a little good luck never hurts either. Anyway you look at it... congratulations on yet another fine bird.  :congrats:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

iahntr

Scott