• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Talk me out of this...

Started by Coulter, March 16, 2016, 09:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

We just got a Savage 110 .338 Lapua in at our local Gander Mtn. It includes a Caldwell bi-pod, used gun in great shape priced at $1100. Do I need it? No. Can I afford it? No. The freaking ammo runs $139.99 :huh: And I can't just put some cheap glass on this bad boy. So...I've been talking myself out of it, then I thought maybe just throw it in layaway or something. I don't know...anybody else have one or any experience with them?

pitw

Ask yourself if you like using your arm. :wo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

riverboss

Steve shop around you can do better! Maybe a big 50 cal that ammo your talking about seems to cheap.
If your going to go big go big.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

slagmaker

Well my thinking is every firearm deserves a home.

1 do you need it? Irrelevant, it's a firearm. You might need it.

2 can you afford it? Also irrelevant. It's a firearm. The fun ones are almost always expensive.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

FWIW Chris Kyle, the Navy Seal sniper, strongly disliked the .50 and much preferred the .338 Lapua. 

Sounds like a perfect turkey rifle to me.   

What does need have to do with it?  That's a Karl Marx idea, to each according to his need.  The American constitutional way is pursuit of happiness.  Need has nothing to do with it.

We are looking forward to being entertained by your posts in pursuit of happiness as you select a scope, work up a load, show us tiny groups on target, maybe even shoot something with it.  Take the heads off of squirrels?  Barking squirrels is a tradition among American riflemen.  You need this rifle for squirrel hunting!

FinsnFur

:eyebrow: It would definitely be a blast too shoot.  No pun intended.
You dont have to have a brink of ammo and you certainly dont have to scope it instantly. Make it a project, make it an investment.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Dang it...you guys were supposed to talk me OUT of it, not into it. I haven't taken the plunge just yet. Still doing a bit of research and such. It will definitely be a project gun if I take it off of their hands.

Clyde...It's my understanding that Mr. Kyle really liked the Lapua, and wished he had one when he was serving. However, when he was serving in Afghanistan he used a .300 win mag. I could be wrong on this, that's just what I've been told. Barking squirrels...hmmmm, I could probably bark some squirrels in the next county with this bad boy.

I'd love to buy a brick of ammo for it Jim...of course I'd have to take out a second mortgage on the house and I'd need a forklift to move it around.

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

I'll try to do that this weekend Glen. Thanks guys!

Okanagan

Quote from: Coulter on March 17, 2016, 05:43:59 AM

Clyde...It's my understanding that Mr. Kyle really liked the Lapua, and wished he had one when he was serving. However, when he was serving in Afghanistan he used a .300 win mag. I could be wrong on this, that's just what I've been told.

Good catch!  I pulled Kyle's book to check and you are way more correct than I was.  Kyle wrote "I used a .300 Win mag for most of my kills."   However, he got a 338 Lapua during his third deployment, used it for his longest kill and really liked it.  He wrote that it shoots  "farther and flatter than the .50".   He wished that his .338 would have had a suppressor for shots from inside a room (another accessory toy for you to consider!)

Gorgeous sunny day here with spring snow on the peaks all around.  Will wander out and see if I can find a road that climbs high enough to get into tracking snow.  My son called a cougar on Tuesday that answered his Rainshadow vocals many times as it approach him, then went silent out about 75 yards and he never saw it.  His heart was thumping so loud that maybe the cat heard it!

Coulter

Well, unfortunately the Lapua is not going to happen right now. I was just fondling checking it out again last night and there appears to be a rattle coming from within the stock. Not sure what it is exactly without tearing it apart. I have no intention of dropping that kind of money on a firearm that has a rattle in the stock. Soooo, that acquisition will be put on hold for now. I need to get a copy of Kyle's book, it sounds like an excellent read.

As far as the peaks go...I'm itching to get back up to the Adirondacks and do some climbing. That will be a few more weeks yet. Can't say I'll be doing any cougar hunting, though that would be absolutely awesome, especially with a call! I bet his heart was thumping...nothing like being out there calling something like that in that =is so stealthy and could make easy work of you at will. Hope he gets back out and has another opportunity at one. Good luck to you guys and be safe!

Steve

KySongDog

I have a friend who has a Barrett .338 lapua. (I'm not sure of the model number)   It has less than 20 rounds down the pipe and has the Barrett BORS system on a Nightforce (I think) scope.   He wants to sell it to me.  Years ago my BIL hunted deer ONCE with a .338 win mag.  I saw the result and that was enough for me.   :nono: