Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bow Hunting-Archery / Re: Anyone bow hunting deer this year?
« Last post by coyote101 on Today at 05:46:14 PM »
Maybe the best story this year.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Pat
« Last post by HuntnCarve on Today at 05:22:37 PM »
Clyde, you are so right about Dave/Dante mentoring that young man.  I was following along Dave's reports all season of how he was progressing.  Dave went above and beyond making sure this young man did everything right.  I was over joyed when I learned of his success.  Congrats to Brady! 

HuntnCarve
Dave
« Last post by Okanagan on Today at 04:50:55 PM »
Good for you!  You know that you are mentoring that young man in way more than deer hunting.

Great photo and top notch story. 

« Last post by Dave on Today at 04:43:14 PM »
Here's a pic of Dante's buddy, Brady.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

He took his hunters safety course just this year after becoming friends with Dante.  His father used to hunt, but stopped i guess when he got married.  Anyway, Dante and I have been mentoring him throughout this archery season and HuntnCarve brought down an extra crossbow he has for Brady to use. He shot this 8 pointer out of the same stand HnC usually hunts behind my house.  Said it was almost under him and as he was swinging the x-bow around it clanked against the stand.  It ran off 80 or so yards.  He said he could see it and grunted.  It moved a little closer.  5 min later he grunted and again he moved closer.  Said this went on several times and he shot it at 15 yards.  Needless to say he was PSYCHED.  I received a text,   I SHOT A BUCK!   Told him to wait in the stand til I got there (he didn't see it go down) We tracked it about 80 yards.
Anyway, I think he's hooked on the sport now.
Birds / Re: Fall crossbow season....
« Last post by coyote101 on Today at 03:02:21 PM »
Were you wearing the blaze orange when you got him? I have a friend who said it doesn't matter about camouflage and he hunted in his orange deer hunting gear one spring and nailed a nice tom.

I was wearing the orange when I shot the bird. Gun deer season is still open, so the orange is mandatory. This was the ninth turkey I have killed with the crossbow, and four of them were while wearing orange.

In my experience, turkeys are very alert to orange and will bolt at the sight of it, even from a great distance. However, they don't pick up on it very well in a blind, and I have had them within a few yards of me while wearing orange in my ground blinds.

This is a picture of the blind I was in, taken a couple of years ago:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Pat
Big Game / Re: AZ Desert Mule Deer
« Last post by Hawks Feather on Today at 01:32:20 PM »
It's all posted and patrolled, but if you know the right people you can hunt it when the mines are closed.

For some reason I have the feeling that you know some people.

Jerry
Freshwater / Re: Blaze orange vest for brook trout
« Last post by JohnP on Today at 12:18:01 PM »
You can probably apply and get a multi-thousand dollar maybe even multi-million dollar government grant award for the study.   
Big Game / Re: AZ Desert Mule Deer
« Last post by JohnP on Today at 10:58:46 AM »
I wondered if that wasn't photoshopped but my buddy assured me it was not.  I have seen some big ones out in the desert but none like this guy.  This was taken down on the border around the copper mines in Bisbee, hippie town big time.  I'm sure he was/is well fed.  I also have a very good friend who shot a 130" coues off of one of the mine tailings(sp), must be something in the copper that attract them.  It's all posted and patrolled, but if you know the right people you can hunt it when the mines are closed.   
Freshwater / Blaze orange vest for brook trout
« Last post by Okanagan on Today at 10:23:41 AM »
An official tangent from nastygunz's comment about whether Pat was wearing blaze orange when he got his crossbow turkey.  (That reads like the title of a Reformation era sermon.)

In Fall, male brook trout swarm to the feet of someone wearing blaze orange or maybe pinkish orange orange.  Try it in the interest of science and report results.

I discovered this by accident when a friend and I stopped at a brook trout lake to fish for lunch, while I was wearing a homemade vest that was orangey pink in color.  The male brookies were in gaudy spawning color.  I stood on shore to cast a fly with spin gear and casting bubble.  Within 3 or 4 minutes at least 30 male brook trout were within ten feet of my boots, apparently looking up at my vest.  Instead of casting, I would reel the bubble to the rod tip and dangle the fly to dap it on the surface.  One after another I could lift out fat brook trout.

My friend had not brought fishing gear but he scrounged ten feet of discarded line snagged in a bush, tied it on a willow stick, borrowed a fly and dapped out fish one after another.  The skillet was going. 

I repeated that event one year later and then moved away and have never tried it since.  Wish I still had that weird color vest.

I tried to go to that lake last week but the snow was too deep to drive within 5 miles.  It is on a plateau and I barely made it half way up. 

The males were near shore and the females farther out in the lake.  A cast of 20 feet or more into the lake produced a female brook trout but any cast to within 10 feet of shore caught a male.

What we do in the interest of science...  :laf:  nasty, you probably have way better access to brook trout than I do, if you care to continue this experiment, though it may be too late this year. 

Birds / Re: Fall crossbow season....
« Last post by nastygunz on Today at 09:36:13 AM »
 Were you wearing the blaze orange when you got him? I have a friend who said it doesn't matter about camouflage and he hunted in his orange deer hunting gear one spring and nailed a nice tom.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10