• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My first pair of calls

Started by BryanStanley, January 27, 2007, 08:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryanStanley

Fellas
Figure I would show a the first pair of calls that I made on my lathe. They are not the greatest looking. But I am still proud of the outcome for not having any training. let me know what you all think.

Thanks
Bryan

THO Game Calls

My first call looked just like a screwdriver handle.  No kidding.  So don't worry about the shape.  The more you learn what your tools will do, the more refined your shape will become.  It doesn't happen overnight and it doesn't happen at all if you quit. 

Those are good basic calls.  I am sure that they will work to call coyotes.  So, I say, use them, call coyotes, and work on your own style until you get it to where YOU are happy with it.

If you have a Home Depot in your area, they have closet rods in 1 1/2" diameter.  You can usually pick up cut off pieces for cheap money that are great for practicing on.  You don't even need to drill them, just stick them between centers and turn them.  Once you get one to a shape that you like, use it as a modle for your other calls.  I still use the closet rods when I am working on new things.  Saves you from using the good wood LOL.

I think you have made a good start.  I certanly hope you keep with it because making calls is almost as much fun as calling in coyotes with calls you made yourself :)

Good luck and good turning

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

FinsnFur

Screwdriver handles Al?  :roflmao:

Hey Bryan, I think your off to a good start. LIke Al says keep at it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

THO Game Calls

Yup.  I am the proud owner of one of the fanciest Zebra wood screw drivers you ever did see LOL.

Wish I still had that thing.  My kid took it and who knows what happened to it.

What's good about his calls is that there are no tool marks on them.  They look pretty well sanded and finished.  The lines at the botton are sharp, not rounded over from using the 60 grit gouge, otherwise known as sandpaper, and the mouth pieces look well formed and comfortable.  Even the lanyard groove looks well made. 

Yes, I would hang them on my lanyard and go calling.  Just be careful not to do what I did the first time I called in a coyote with one of my calls.  I never got a shot off as I was looking from the coyote to the call back to the coyote and thinking "I'll be darned, they work" while the other side of my brain was saying "SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT" but I do tend to get confused sometimes and that was one of them LOL.

AL
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

kiyitec

Bryan,
       my first call from years ago still has vise grip and hacksaw marks on it, but it has never missed A hunt.  Every year family and friends ask about it, and when I lay in bed dreaming of spinning wood I always think back to making it.  That being said- I hope your  next post is A picture with those 2 laying on A pile of fur, although you smiling in the background might be A bonus.
  You should be able to see my first legit call soon.  I upgraded from a machete to a lathe!  ~KT
"DESIGNATED SITUATIONAL CALLER"
  Contact me for information on how to become one today, and see how easy it is to save money on guns & ammo.  List of references available upon request.

keekee

I think they look good! Sure look allot better than the first one I turned!

Calls are well sanded and finished, nice clear crisp lines. Looks like you got a great start!

Brent