• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Alaska Salmon pics

Started by Tikaani, June 26, 2010, 04:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

Got off work Thursday and drove seven hours south to the Copper River to dipnet for some reds (Sockeye salmon).  Had a some what of succesful trip and caught sixty one.  Forty eight hours awake, got home at five this morning and passed out.  Will fire up the smoker and can these for the winter.

Hunt hard, die tired
John

Fins and Fur lucky ball cap, thanks Semp

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Tappen

looks like good fishin, and an absolutely beautiful place there, so many reasons i wanna go to alaska, 1 being to get a big bull moose :D

KySongDog

Those fish are going to be great in the jar.   ;yes;   Glad that hat brought a little luck to the fishing trip.   Looks good on you, John!    :yoyo:

iahntr

Pretty cool  :yoyo:
Looks like a nice area.
I bet you're beat though  :biggrin:
but it'll be some good eatin !!
Scott

pitw

Freaking wow John.  What were you thinking of :shrug: forsaking sleep in order to have fun :doh2:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

John,

Thanks for the pictures of your fishing trip.  Looks like a great way to spend 48 hours even if you did crash when you got home.  Not only that, but by crashing your wife got to clean the fish and get them ready for the smoker.

Jerry

alscalls

Way Cool!  Thanks so much for sharing this with us. :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

I was so awestruck with the scenery AGAIN!.......I missed the fish. Did you get any fish?
I gotta go back and look, hang on a sec.

Oh yeah!!   :yoyo: Now that's a bag limit. It had to be the hat...it just had to be :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

WTG!  We love those reds, especially bright ones like those.  Mighty tasty.  Tickled for you here, and envious!  Hope we get some our way this summer.  Limit here is two per day road and reel only, and we never know one day till the next if they will open a season or for how long. 

HuntnCarve

Now that's a load of fine eating!  And those are not little picnic coolers!  Looks like you had a great trip John.  Could you explain "dip netting"?  I get the gest of it.  But is there a preferred way?  From the bank?  Out of the boat?  In a channel?  Just some stupid questions from an ignorant Outsider. LOL!

Dave

Tikaani

Dave, you can see the dip nets in some of the pictures.  The poles are 16' in length and the nets vary in size but can be no larger than 5' feet in diameter.  There is a designated area of the Copper River that you are allowed to dip net, it is in a canyon and is very difficult to access. those who fish from the bank have to climb down and tie themselves off and fish near eddies along the rocks trying to catch the salmon as they swim up river, then have to climb out making several trips hauling their fish up to their wheelers.  Boats give you more options since you are mobile, however the river is very fast with all sorts of debris floating down, you always have a life vest on, it is a dangerous deal either way.  You must be a resident of Alaska one full calender year to dip net.  Hope that helps.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

HuntnCarve

Thanks John, that explains a lot.  I had heard that Copper river is very treacherous.  Full of silt, and bad news if you go in.  You just confirmed that.

Dave

Todd Rahm

Nice mess of fish ya have there John. Man I can't believe its that time of year already.