• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Food with kids.

Started by pitw, April 09, 2016, 10:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Well we used pork to make up a few batch's of sausage last eve.  Made 25 lbs of fresh breakfast sausage and 20 lbs of honey garlic rolls plus 10 pounds of straight garlic rolls[these last 2 have the cure in them and will be smoked and cooked so we can just eat them as we want].  Also used moose meat on the coiled sausage and for 10 lbs of the breakfast fare.  Went with a 50/50 mixture this time around.  Cool part of doing this nonsense ourselves is we can experiment lots.

Lad grinding near frozen meat.

15lbs of pure pork goodness.

Lass loading casing on the horn.

Lad mixing spices and such in ice water.[Cold is good]

Both lads mixing the near frozen meat with the spices.  Sure was fun listening to them [female canine] about cold hands.

Making links of fresh sausage with a stuffer that works fairly well. Young fellas found out they was only thinking they were the boss.

Rolls of garlic sausage in the smoker.  Always amazes me how the curing agents change the color of the meat.

I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

That looks WAY too good and I just finished eating lunch.

Jerry

HuntnCarve

Like Jerry said, "that sure looks good!"  Need to find a couple moose in these parts.  :wo: 
There's a small meat market down the road here, that smokes all kinds of meats and sausage.  When I can't make my own, I'll sneak down there and buy some.  I think my son makes it a point to raid the freezer when he's home?  All the good stuff ends up missing? :confused:
Glad to see your boys pitching in Barry.

Dave

Okanagan

Delicious!  And what a family memory you are making, plus passing on skills!  Mt hat is off to you, Sir!

pitw

Actually my kids have been learning right alongside of me as my old dad never did this nonsense.  He was to busy making too much money.  The kids may or may not do it in their future but they will dang sure know how. 

coyote101

I'll bet the finished product is delicious.  ;yes; ;yes;

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Boy that does look really good. Sodium Nitrate changes the color as it cures it, and it works pretty fast. :eyebrow:
I should go out and get a moose and make some moose jerky next. :eyebrow:  wait a sec  :wo: :doh2:

The lass and the lads LOL :laf: Was Mandi keeping them in line?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Damn that looks good!
I'll PM you my order  :biggrin:

pitw

I screwed up the last 5 lb batch and am feeding it to the coyotes[don't want to kill our dog] and the casings on the other smoked stuff is tougher than a GMC dash.  Bob has ate more than ever so part of it must be good. :whew:

FinsnFur

How'd you screw it up THAT bad?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 11, 2016, 05:06:43 AM
How'd you screw it up THAT bad?

Too much cure. :doh2:  Think the figuring between imperial and metric played a role. :shrug:  All I know is I didn't like it so that is the way I handled it.  Best part of making our own food is we can discard anything we don't like and trust me the dog does well from scraps.

KySongDog

Screw ups are a necessary part of the learning process for me.  I try not to make the same one twice but sometimes I screw that up too.   :biggrin: