• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

LBL Basics

Started by 25-06er, October 21, 2017, 11:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

25-06er

I have been predator hunting a few years with decent success. However I continually get skunked at the LBL. Is this just do to higher pressure than other public lands? I was just wandering if anyone had a few quick pointers. Mainly do most seem to have more success in the fields and meadows or woods? Also any sounds that seem to work better?  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

25-06er

Quote from: 25-06er on October 21, 2017, 11:15:47 PM
I have been predator hunting a few years with decent success. However I continually get skunked at the LBL. Is this just do to higher pressure than other public lands? I was just wandering if anyone had a few quick pointers. Mainly do most seem to have more success in the fields and meadows or woods? Also any sounds that seem to work better?  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I would love to make it out to a Feb hunt sometime work permitting.

KySongDog

Quote from: 25-06er on October 21, 2017, 11:15:47 PM
I have been predator hunting a few years with decent success. However I continually get skunked at the LBL. Is this just do to higher pressure than other public lands? I was just wandering if anyone had a few quick pointers. Mainly do most seem to have more success in the fields and meadows or woods? Also any sounds that seem to work better?  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Every animal at LBL has a PhD in survival.  As for coyotes, everyone and their brother with a foxpro calls them.    Good luck.  There are plenty of coyotes there, but few have virgin ears. 

25-06er

Thanks! That’s about what I thought. Just have to try different methods and such. Similar to fishing in a farm pond vs fishing in Ky Lake. I’ve been wanting to mix it up with some diaphragms so I might give that a shot. I know when is started out I was moving to far between stands. I have since learned that you may only need to move 4-500 Yards in thick cover. I love going the LBL as it’s a rare gem here in West Ky even if it more challenging. It’s especially meaningful to those of with family roots dating back to the BTR days.

JohnP

Johnny - Sent you a PM in regards to this, meant to also send it to Pat but not sure I did nor did I save it.  Could you please send him a copy of it.  Tanks
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

KySongDog

I answered it John and will forward to Pat.

Johnny

FinsnFur

PhD in survival. lol I like that :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

centerfire_223

I have always used the run and gun philosophy at the LBL. The more stands you make in a day the better your chances are to call up a coyote. In deep hollers and heavy brush I may only go 200 yards between stands or find a ridge and call one side then the other move 200 yards and call again. 10-15 minute stands and move, I am calling coyotes that are close by, not trying to get them to come from 1/2 mile away.

Use a lot of coyote vocals out there too, they will respond to that alone. I never have been able to pattern coyotes out there, they may come from anywhere.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

25-06er

Appreciate the tips fellas. That’s what I’m looking for. Not expecting anyone to give up their secrets just general thoughts.

JohnP

Ronnie - When I was young and participate far and wide in the big money contests that is exactly what we did "run and" and no .223 either, .243 or 25.06 we wanted them dead on the spot and we wanted as many stands a day as we could squeeze in.  Never did we spend more than ten minutes on at stands and at times even less.  As I aged and slowed down I realized that I missed out on just sitting on my ass and enjoying the surrounding and watching what other "things" are out there and will also respond to the call or will just happen to walk by, call or no call.   

Please don't take that as criticism of run and gun as it is not - I done it for many a year and enjoyed it, plus it put gas money and beer money in my pocket. 

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

25-06er

Sometimes it is nice just to sit and enjoy being outdoors away from the hustle and bustle. LBL is nice for that because for us here the East it’s rare to be able to go somewhere and not even hear a car for hours (or at least just one or two)

centerfire_223

Would never think of it John. It's just the way I am wired up, can't sit in one place to long; I get antsy!! I get to wanting to see what's on the other side of the ridge or around the next bend in the river. That is one of the biggest reasons I gave up deer hunting, just to boring for me.

A few years ago I made it out to NM to call coyotes and I used the same strategy. Run and gun call and kill, I had a ball. Can't wait to one day get back out there. Hopefully soon.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-