• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Be prepared!

Started by nastygunz, February 24, 2018, 06:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

I am always getting on the women in my family to be alert and be safe and take care of themselves in any situations they may encounter.   Being country girls they're mostly inexperienced with any sort of violence or crime and things like that.  One of the things I give them crap about all the time is walking or hiking by themselves which they do quite a bit.  So today my baby sister took off this morning on a hike with the dog didn't tell anybody where she was going or how long or anything as her husband and the two kids were out doing various things.   She did not have her cell phone on her although in most places up there is there is no signal anyway.  Long story short she slipped and broke her leg and was laying halfway up the mountain in the snow and rain and thank God a young couple who were coming down from the top of the mountain found her  and the young lady stayed with her while the young fella ran the rest of the way down to his vehicle and took off to the nearest house and called 911.  She has a compound fracture of her leg and a concussion from hitting her head when she went down and has to have surgery on her leg. So tell your loved ones, Be Prepared  and then stay on their ass about it!  You can bet when things settle down and she is feeling better she is going to get a major ass chewing from big brother!

FinsnFur

Oh man that could have been so much worse. Lucky girl for sure. Thank god those others were around there. :bowingsmilie:
Hopefully shes heals up fine.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

Wow talk about getting a luck break! Hope all turns out ok for her.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

KySongDog

One hears about that sort of thing happening quite a bit but no one seems to think it could happen to them.   I am very glad to hear she got help and is on the mend.  That incident could have turned out very bad! 

I hunt alone 99% of the time.  For the last several years I've carried a PLB (a government emergency beacon) for if or when I end up in your sister's shoes.   I highly recommend it to anyone going off the beaten path.

HuntnCarve

It only takes a split second for an accident to occur.  Glad that young couple found her.  My wife and I on a walk through town came across a old woman on her hands and knees?  At first glance I thought she was pulling weeds along a hedge row.  But her leaf blower was 15 feet away running?  We called out to her and she yelled "help"!   She told us she tripped on the cord to the leaf blower and could not get up.  So my wife ran and grabbed a nearby lawn chair.  I gently picked her up and set her in the chair. She was fine sitting there.  We then called her daughter who was working in the next town on my cell phone.  The daughter showed up to take her to the hospital.  But we found she could not put any weight on her legs.  So the ambulance was called.  Come to find she had broken her hip when she tripped.  Don't know how long she would have been out there if we had not happened by?  She said she had left her phone in the house, as she was only going to be out for a few minutes to blow the leaves off her side walk.

We'll keep your sister in our prayers for a speedy recovery Nasty. 

Dave

nastygunz

Prayers are always welcome!  She is going for surgery tomorrow but doing well she is young and strong !

Okanagan

Baaad events that could have been a lot worse if not for the couple that found your sister and for Dave helping the older lady who broke her hip.  I'm working on getting there myself, (not the lady part but the old part).   You have our prayers for your sister alright.

Like KySongDog, I hunt alone most of the time, and carry an InReach 911 calling device that works directly via satellite from anywhere on earth. I keep it on my bod, but if I was unconscious I couldn't activate it.  Mine has a feature that automatically sends message out every few minutes but that runs up cost and has been kind of a nuisance IME, so I shut if off but I'm thinking of revisiting it.  If a man got hurt and immobilized, the messages would show that he stopped moving and show where he is.  In that case, my wife or whoever is getting the messages from me can send a message back and ask if  I'm OK. 

HaMeR

WOW!! Prayers sent for sure nasty!! Glad things didn't get any worse than that!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nastygunz

I am going to look into one of those safety devices I hunt alone all the time.

JohnP

My wife is like that also.  More often than not she'll be gone and her phone is on the kitchen counter.  She also has no sense of her surroundings. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HaMeR

That's not a good combination Mr. John!! Maybe you can get Mrs. John read this post.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HaMeR

How's Sis doing nasty??
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nastygunz

She had surgery yesterday and everything went well. Now she's laying in bed with a cast on her leg bigger than her.

HaMeR

I'm happy for you all nasty!!  :highclap: :highclap:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Carolina Coyote

This sure rings a Bell, having always being active and in my mind still a teenager but the last few years there have been a lot of falls but have not hunt myself that much, but I am finally beginning to try and act my age and my wife stays after me about being careful which is a good thing. Most of the falls could have been prevented by being more careful, but being hardheaded I don't always pay enough attention but the hardhead come in handy as several of the fall I landed on my head and did not get hurt. :iroll: Nasty is right and this is a good post. cc

nastygunz

Small-town America,  she is famous locally for helping everybody and taking care of people and now the community is returning the favor.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Showing what kind of person she is, our nephew who is 5  had to write a paper in school that said I am lucky because, and wrote aunt Rosie makes me special treats ha ha. The boy does love a good cookie!

new

Hawks Feather

I think it is a good reminder to all of us to as your title says - Be prepared.

Jerry

JohnP

Nasty - Tell her that there is a retired OLD soldier out here in the desert that wishes her well and is thinking of her.  AND she damn well better have her phone with her next time!!
When they come for mine they better bring theirs