• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

.410 pistol mods!

Started by nastygunz, April 23, 2018, 07:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

nastygunz,

That's pretty nearly the same gun I have. My barrel was also modified by J.R. Shultz with straight rifling and his custom choke tube. The trigger job is probably a bellm spring kit, which is easily done at home with a few simple tools. I have done all three of my frames, and one for a friend. My barrel is still blued, but the choke tube is nitride coated.

Mine like the one in the video, patterns better with smaller shot, and until recently I would have limited shots at turkey to twenty yards or less. A couple of weeks ago I bought a box of Federal Premium TSS shells in 9 shot, and would now feel comfortable extending that to thirty yards! The TSS is very expensive (about $28 for a box of five), but a fifty percent increase in range is worth the cost in my mind. J.R.'s work is very reasonably priced and the results are pretty impressive.

Pat   
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

Well it is a small world that's for sure! Glad to hear about yours because I'm really thinking about sending mine in. Yes the TSS is the way to go if you're going to turkey hunt with it!  :yoyo:

nastygunz

How much a difference  would you say there was in your gun before and after the modifications ? Ballpark figure on cost?

Quote from: coyote101 on April 23, 2018, 09:35:34 PM
nastygunz,

That's pretty nearly the same gun I have. My barrel was also modified by J.R. Shultz with straight rifling and his custom choke tube. The trigger job is probably a bellm spring kit, which is easily done at home with a few simple tools. I have done all three of my frames, and one for a friend. My barrel is still blued, but the choke tube is nitride coated.

Mine like the one in the video, patterns better with smaller shot, and until recently I would have limited shots at turkey to twenty yards or less. A couple of weeks ago I bought a box of Federal Premium TSS shells in 9 shot, and would now feel comfortable extending that to thirty yards! The TSS is very expensive (about $28 for a box of five), but a fifty percent increase in range is worth the cost in my mind. J.R.'s work is very reasonably priced and the results are pretty impressive.

Pat

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on April 25, 2018, 04:40:57 PM
How much a difference  would you say there was in your gun before and after the modifications ? Ballpark figure on cost?

Hard to say for certain nastygunz because I didn't do a lot of testing before sending it to J.R., but for turkeys it probably went from a ten yard gun to a twenty yard gun. The Federal TSS added another ten yards. It would be interesting to try the TSS in a stock barrel versus a modified barrel.

I think the cost for removing the helical rifling, cutting straight rifling, and making the choke tube was $215 with return shipping. When you add the initial cost of the factory barrel that makes it pretty expensive. I could buy another gun for what I have in the barrel, but the cool factor wouldn't be as high.  :biggrin:

Pat   
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

That's not too bad of a price as I already own the barrel!  I fired him off an email and I'm waiting to hear back from him.   I can't turkey hunt here with mine but it is one of my favorite squirrel guns and other small game. And the cool factor is pretty cool  :yoyo:

coyote101

nastygunz,

Here it is last December:

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

It looks like it fell on a turkey and killed it! Sweet gun, kind a looks like mine. I emailed JR at the beginning of the week and never heard back from him? I asked a guy in this area who is supposed to be a gunsmith and he told me it was illegal I said OK you have a nice day sir click.

coyote101

Try: Shultz Precision Machine on Facebook. Message him from there, he should get back to you.

Pat
NRA Life Member